Author Topic: Cacko3k Feedback  (Read 212727 times)

kahm

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« on: April 10, 2005, 09:57:00 pm »
I'm making a new topic that we can use for feedback on the Cacko3k-alpha roms, just to keep out of the Slackware-guys hair.

I've done a complete reset on my 3k and can't duplicate the crash after starting the wireless connection for the first time. Next step is to re-flash the Z and try again.

The DHCP problem that I had has, embarrassingly, gone away. I can properly DHCP from any device on my network now, including the previously problematic 860. The last time I saw the issue is when I tried the C3000 for the very first time. *sigh*

I've got tomorrow set aside for playing with the 3000 rom, so I'll try and build those 3k friendly packages for Opera, Apache+PHP, and Mysql.
Fujitsu U8240 "Stormtrooper" -  Zaurus Supplement
Libretto U100 | Sony Librie, Sony Reader
SL-C3100: Sharp 1.11JP (Kanji Dictionary/Translator) - LCD Top swap with C1000.
SL-C3000: pdaXii13 5.4.7, SL-C3000 5.4.9 - microdrive replaced with 8gb Sandisk
SL-C1000: PDAXRom Beta3 | SL-6000L: Sharp 1.12 | SL-5500: Cacko, 64-0 kernel | SL-5000D: OZ-Opie
Linksys WCF12; Sharp CE-AG06, CE-RH2, CE-170TS; iRiver USB OTG Host cable; Socket BT rev.E CF; Hitachi 6gb Microdrive

svaslot

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 04:49:17 am »
Hi Kahm,

I have a SL-C3000 since for mounth. I'm happy about this release cacko3k-alpha.
I have a stupid question. But is it possible to a have a downloadable copy or not at this time ??

Stéphane

euroclie

• View Profile
    • http://
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005, 05:13:23 am »
Hi Stéphane,

I have a stupid question. But is it possible to a have a downloadable copy or not at this time ??
I'm afraid Andy made it clear that he intended to limit the number of alpha testers to only 5, so that he may start to get some feedback while he's (hopefully) enjoying two weeks of holidays but he didn't go for a public release yet, because he fears that some users may be upset or disappointed by the first unavoidables bugs and glitches with this alpha release, since he won't be able to provide any fix before he comes back.

All in all, given the high quality of this alpha release, though, I'm fairly confident that within a week or so after his return, there will certainly be something to download for everyone!
Patrick

slackwaresupport

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005, 03:18:51 pm »
i put tree!explorerqt on.  do i need to install a font, all i got is boxes..

jbbrs

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2005, 03:42:15 pm »
Is there any version for the C1000 on the plans?

sriley

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2005, 04:08:04 pm »
slackwaresupport:  In the uppr left corner of the application you'll see the menus.  Choose the entry farthest to the right, looks like two boxes followed by an underlined V.  Go down to Language>, choose English.

slackwaresupport

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2005, 04:13:57 pm »
ahhhhh, yes.. thank you

euroclie

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2005, 09:38:02 pm »
I've got tomorrow set aside for playing with the 3000 rom, so I'll try and build those 3k friendly packages for Opera, Apache+PHP, and Mysql.
I've almost finished building a 3k-friendly Opera 7.55 package... I've got a few cosmetic changes (background color) to make to the button's icons (I feel that 14x14 pixel is too small for my taste, so I have replaced the icons by bigger 32x32 icons), a few checks to make on my pre/postint scripts, and check also if it does install without complaining using the GUI ipk installer, but things are looking good so far!

[a href=\"http://probbe.nerim.net/zaurus/screenshots/scrn036.jpg\" target=\"_blank\"]
Patrick

kahm

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2005, 01:06:57 am »
I've almost finished building a 3k-friendly Opera 7.55 package... I've got a few cosmetic changes (background color) to make to the button's icons (I feel that 14x14 pixel is too small for my taste, so I have replaced the icons by bigger 32x32 icons), a few checks to make on my pre/postint scripts, and check also if it does install without complaining using the GUI ipk installer, but things are looking good so far!

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=74685\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}]
[/div]

Well, since I went to the trouble of doing it before I saw your post, here's Opera 7.25 from the Cacko feed, fixed for the 3k.
Fujitsu U8240 "Stormtrooper" -  Zaurus Supplement
Libretto U100 | Sony Librie, Sony Reader
SL-C3100: Sharp 1.11JP (Kanji Dictionary/Translator) - LCD Top swap with C1000.
SL-C3000: pdaXii13 5.4.7, SL-C3000 5.4.9 - microdrive replaced with 8gb Sandisk
SL-C1000: PDAXRom Beta3 | SL-6000L: Sharp 1.12 | SL-5500: Cacko, 64-0 kernel | SL-5000D: OZ-Opie
Linksys WCF12; Sharp CE-AG06, CE-RH2, CE-170TS; iRiver USB OTG Host cable; Socket BT rev.E CF; Hitachi 6gb Microdrive

euroclie

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2005, 11:56:24 am »
Well, since I went to the trouble of doing it before I saw your post, here's Opera 7.25 from the Cacko feed, fixed for the 3k.
Hey, you're really too fast for me!

By chance, I worked on v7.55 so at least it's not completely useless even if (more than) a little redundant... At least now I have the tools setup properly to produce a .ipk package, which will certainly be useful later!

One question remains, though: should I remove entirely the voice stuff or not? I expect most C3000 users won't use it, so it could be nice to save a bit of space, but then it would be more difficult for the persons who want to try voice commands...
The voice command won't work if you don't install the whole IBM package, I think, in which case Opera would automatically be installed anyway (but with the usual problems), so it might be "safe" to remove the few voice-related files in the Opera package...

Otherwise the icons are now rendering much better (but then, I'm no artist, I merely used the icons of my current Opera skin on the PC), there's just a small (temporary) problem, probably with the transparency, on the help icon xpm file, while the application launches, but the icon displays fine afterward...

If someone has better icons (preferably not copyrighted...) just let me know and I'll be glad to include them in the package instead of the current ones. I simply couldn't calibrate my screen precisely enough to use the default 14x14 icons...

I've added scripts (thanks kahm!) for installation (creation of the required directories and symlinks), and for uninstallation as well (removal of all the symlinks but not the /hdd2/Applications/.opera* directories and their content so as to keep the bookmarks intact), this should install and uninstall rather cleanly.

I'd be interested to know if this works: i.e. if you keep your bookmarks after uninstallating/reinstalling, if you don't get strange error messages or unexpected behavior, etc.

[img]http://probbe.nerim.net/zaurus/screenshots/scrn037s.jpg\" border=\"0\" class=\"linked-image\" /]

You can get the ipk file here. Thanks for your feedback... be it on Cacko-3k or Sharp ROM!
Patrick

Cyril92

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2005, 01:04:39 pm »
I can't  hardly wait for the beta release of this cacko (tsatsko ?) for 3k.

Have two question for all of you 3k users :

Did you try and manage to use VNCserver on c3k ? (it freezes)
Did you try programs that need SDL ? (does it need a special compilation ?)
SL-C760 (Cacko ROM), 256Mb CF,512Mb SD
Pentopia stylus 3in1,CF wifi , CE-RH1
looking for : SL5500
Previous : C3000,C860 & 6000L.

slackwaresupport

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2005, 01:18:50 pm »
how can i decrease the size of the icons and such.. like a bigger desktop, i guess you would say. ive looked in the tab settings and all, cant find anything on size.

euroclie

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2005, 03:11:33 pm »
Did you try and manage to use VNCserver on c3k ? (it freezes)
No, didn't try that yet... if you have a good howto to help me setup this I might have a look, though.

Did you try programs that need SDL ? (does it need a special compilation ?)
Didn't try this either, but if I remember correctly, the Interstellar Flames demo requires SDL, right? I was able to run the demo on the 3k (Sharp ROM), but didn't give it more than a passing glance, just enough time to say "Wow!" when looking at the graphics, and "Boooh!" for the gameplay (landscape vs. portrait and resolution issue). It was displaying allright though, so it could be a good test to see if I can run this with Cacko3k.

how can i decrease the size of the icons and such.. like a bigger desktop, i guess you would say. ive looked in the tab settings and all, cant find anything on size.
You're talking about the launcher icons, aren't you? I haven't had the time yet to look at this so it's a blind guess, but if it's anything like Opera's menu bar buttons icons, chances are that replacing all the icons by smaller bitmaps might help. I had to do that to change the size and get bigger buttons in Opera 7.55... The trick is that if you change the size, especially when the original or resulting icons are small (and almost every icon I know fall in the "small" category), then resizing the icon usually lower its crispness and visual qualities, which means basically that you have to re-design them manually. This certainly requires more art skills than I'm capable of! :-(
Patrick

sriley

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2005, 04:27:27 pm »
euroclie:  Opera 7.55 looks and works great on my 3000/alpha1.  I always disliked Opera's toolbar icons, this has a much better feel.  I'll try it on my 760 this evening.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2005, 04:28:45 pm by sriley »

slackwaresupport

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2005, 10:24:58 pm »
looking real good. im typing from it now   :>    idont think i have any beefs about it yet.