Author Topic: Important Update...  (Read 49797 times)

sashz

• View Profile
    • http://
Important Update...
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2006, 12:31:17 pm »
OE/OZ must die!

sashz

• View Profile
Important Update...
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2006, 12:36:17 pm »
OE/OZ must die!
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=131274\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Hope you' re jocking.

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=131275\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

i sent you PM

sashz

• View Profile
Important Update...
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2006, 12:36:59 pm »
As i come to new workplace we start development with new forces!!!!!!

miskinis

• View Profile
Important Update...
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2006, 12:50:44 pm »
Hi Folks,

I have been following this thread, and I think it is raising some great
points, in regard to not only how great pdaXrom is or could become,
but what each user feels is important to him/her.

I would have never bought an SL-6000 if it wasn't for how well pdaXrom
worked on my SL-5500 compared to anything else at the time.  I am not
cutting down any of the other OSes, but at that time I needed a completely
reliable X11 platform, no surprise hangs when turning off/on, the ability
to run different WMs, use (the full) gnu-emacs to edit code, build and run
X11 apps on the Z, etc.

I also get pulled away from my Zs for months at a time, and I'm recently
back fully, for at least this summer.  I was sorry to see the post about Sashz's
new job on one hand, since I was hoping to see new and better releases for
the SL-6000.  On the other hand, I wish him the best of luck in his new job!

I recently tried the pdaXrom live CD for PC, and WOW was that cool and useful.
I did not get around to trying to build apps on it, but I was looking forward to that
capability and future versions.

Anyway, I really hope this effort continues in one way or another.

John
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 03:11:32 pm by miskinis »
_John Miskinis_

omro

• View Profile
Important Update...
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2006, 01:01:03 pm »
"If you want to have it done, do it yourself". What prevents anyone from starting developing? pdaXrom, Opie, GPE, whatever... pick the one you'd like more and improve upon it.
-albertr
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=131269\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Because not everyone's brain works in the right way to code software.

If everyone could do everything, we'd all code to perfection, paint masterpieces and compose symphonies. Different people have different skills and inate capabilities.

However much a person might long to be able to code brilliantly or understand linux, sometimes they just can't.

The world of computing is divided into two groups:

developer
user

The groups cross over in places, but most users haven't got a clue how to develop and not every user wants to know how to develop. But that doesn't stop their desire to see certain features and functionality being any less valid. Especially if they are the ones paying for the software, in this case when donations are asked for.
Zaurus C-1000

Xromer

• View Profile
Important Update...
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2006, 02:11:21 pm »
OK,OK i think collaboration it' s impossible.
As i' ve never told anything!      
Do not begin another struggle pleeeZe!
BYEZ!
[span style=\'font-size:10pt;line-height:100%\']I don't know how, but i' ll do!!!
This is how i like to live! :)[/span]

Ipaq hx4700

McChubby

• View Profile
Important Update...
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2006, 03:17:08 pm »
Because not everyone's brain works in the right way to code software.

<snip>

The groups cross over in places, but most users haven't got a clue how to develop and not every user wants to know how to develop. But that doesn't stop their desire to see certain features and functionality being any less valid. Especially if they are the ones paying for the software, in this case when donations are asked for.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=131282\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
I couldn't agree more.  I am a developer/architect - I listen to users needs, and give them feedback on the technical issues resulting from those needs - we agree a set of functionality and timescales.  As an architect I also have a plan of how the product line should mature and develop technically (such as new kernel and device support etc.), which the users don't (generally) give a damn about:  It's about marrying these two things together and agreeing what we're gonna do.  It's whether this development should become more democratic, or not?!

That's the great thing about our world nowadays; communication is open and we can all benefit from each other's field of expertise...

Craigms

• View Profile
Important Update...
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2006, 04:31:19 pm »
"If you want to have it done, do it yourself". What prevents anyone from starting developing? pdaXrom, Opie, GPE, whatever... pick the one you'd like more and improve upon it.
-albertr
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=131269\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

At the moment with pdaXrom - the lack of a version control system (such as CVS or Subversion) that everyone can contribute to, and obtain the very latest version of code (so any patches that are developed arn't useless or obsolute or would just take too much time to adapt to the latest code, as it seems has happened a few times when people have submitted patches to sashz) is a big problem.

I would also like to write some small utilities, and patch a bunch of stuff with pdaXrom and also add some more ipk packages (I am an electrical engineer and do embedded programming for a living), but as I don't know what is in development, and don't have the latest version of code, I have no idea whether it would be useful to do it, and whether my patches would just be igored as the code has changed so much since last release or are irrevelent.

The version control system would allow integrating any patches much easier for the primary developers (and they would still have full control over the distribution and direction, although I hope they would welcome the extra hands doing bits and pieces here and there).
Sharp Zaurus SL-C3200
GlobalSat BC-337 GPS CF Card

Hrw

• View Profile
Important Update...
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2006, 04:48:30 pm »
Interesting thread. I'm not suprised that so many people feel that pdaX way is not so good.

Getting way to get patches integrated is one of most important things to me - otherwise it looks like 'install last release, then get fixed pkg1,pkg2,pkg3 from Dev1 and pkg4 from Dev2' instead of 'install last release, ipkg update, ipkg upgrade to get all updates/bugfixes'... It's easy to become discouraged when even simple fixes get ignored without any info. And I know that some of bugfixes for OE (present in bugtracker) are not yet integrated - lack of time.

About OpenEmbedded/BitBake as tool for building pdaX: basically it is possible to integrate pdaX stuff into OE and then use OE to build whole pdaX (images + feed). Someone familiar with both enviroments would need to do it to get it working (most of it would be mostly device/distro patches and some new 'recipes' for extra apps). But it is possible - anyone can use OE to generate SharpROM compatible packages for example...

Speaking about OZ release and my lack of motivation: I plan to do tests tomorrow on my c760 (and maybe catch someone on irc for testing on cxx00 machine) and if all will get OK then 3.5.4.1 became a fact.

And one thing to danbold: do you know how many developers OZ has? Most of OE guys working on OZ before now are working on out new distro called Angstrom or on getting newer stuff working. Many things from their work goes back to OE branch used for OZ 3.5.4.x work and finally land in OZ 'upgrades' feed. Many things from OE work (not related to PDA) ends in OZ 'upgrades' feed - like Samba fixed by people which use OE to build own distro for SuperH powered devices. Probably few people could be found to get Release Manager position - but how many o them would like to get it? It is not nice position - users are complaining, requesting misc things, report bugs in a useless way.. And being RM block other activity - my OPIE Notes need work for which I have no time, I have Ir keyboard which I cannot test now under 2.6 kernel because lack of time to check how it work at all. I cannot even check does 3.5.4.1 test images works OK without getting other developer or user to test them for me - it took 4 days to test 3.5.4.1-rc4 before it was released to public.

pdaX users: sorry for long post but it cannot be made shorter
OpenZaurus 3.5.4x Release Manager
OpenEmbedded, Ångström, Poky developer
My website

Misc embedded hardware.

DaemonsGR

• View Profile
Important Update...
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2006, 05:17:21 pm »
Sashz take some photos from your new place and the brazilian girls : )

....  I am a developer/architect
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=131296\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

McChubby, do you mean software architect.. or architect (who design houses for example)???

Im also one who is trying to figure out what to do in his life!(Unix or houses!)

Tasos
Tasos Varoudis (Tech)
Tasos Varoudis (Architecture)

Zaurus sl-c3100 + Wlan, Lan ,BT ,etc
NOW running... pdaXrom 1.1.0beta3 + OOo + custom apps/setup + debian +.. not yet installed OpenBSD snapshot

WAS:Cacko 1.23 + X/QT + debian

Home-Net
Debian WIFI Router ,OpenBSD Bridge Firewall ,Win 2k Domain Server , :) Sun Fire v120 , :) Gentoo Main Server: Dual PIII

Snappy

• View Profile
Important Update...
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2006, 08:43:34 pm »
hmmm ... so what's the final result?
Snappy!
------------------------
Akita (Daily use)
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>SL-C1000 with Cacko 1.23 full
Accessories: Wifi XI-825 CF  |  16GB (6) SDHC (Transcend) | 1GB 80x CF (RiDATA PRO-2) </span>

Collie (Sandbox)
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>SL-5500 with OZ/GPE 3.5.4.1 alpha3 build 2006-04-27
Accessories: 512MB A-Data SD | 64MB Toshiba SD</span>

albertr

• View Profile
Important Update...
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2006, 08:59:31 pm »
Final result? Personally, I'd take brazilian girls over building houses or UNIX

Sash, we are waiting for girls pix!

-albertr

Snappy

• View Profile
Important Update...
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2006, 09:03:06 pm »
Final result? Personally, I'd take brazilian girls over building houses or UNIX

Sash, we are waiting for girls pix!

-albertr
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=131343\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

hahaha  

ok ok ... so the brazillian girls are taking over the pdaXrom code ... yes?    
Snappy!
------------------------
Akita (Daily use)
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>SL-C1000 with Cacko 1.23 full
Accessories: Wifi XI-825 CF  |  16GB (6) SDHC (Transcend) | 1GB 80x CF (RiDATA PRO-2) </span>

Collie (Sandbox)
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>SL-5500 with OZ/GPE 3.5.4.1 alpha3 build 2006-04-27
Accessories: 512MB A-Data SD | 64MB Toshiba SD</span>

danboid

• View Profile
Important Update...
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2006, 09:10:30 pm »
Hrw (and OE team)-

I only have a vague idea just how tough it must be trying to organise OE and OZ releses. I certainly couldn't do it- primarily because I'm not a developer. It's OK saying you don't have enough time to get a new release done, that is not surprising at all, but the way you were talking about OZ in that post I linked to it honestly sounded like you had lost interest in the project- OZ at least. Go read it again and see what you think- it doesn't sound promising.

I was in no way saying you're incapable of it- I really appreciate all the support, organisation and especially the code that both yourself and the rest of the OE team has contributed. OE/OZ is the most exciting linux distro around IMO and I know only too well how talented the team is. A good chunk of the worlds best coders are hacking away on their Z's right now- don't let me stop you!  

Like everyone else on here, I just want to see my Z the best it can be asap!  
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 09:12:51 pm by danboid »
Zaurus SL-C3000 w/ MD swapped for a Kingston 32GB Ultimate 266X CF running ALARM
Banana Pi running ALARM on a WD Scorpio SATA II HD
System76 Gazelle Pro i7 laptop w/ SAMSUNG 840 EVO SSD running Arch x64

How to install Arch on your C3x00 Zaurus https://github.com/danboid/ZALARM-install

McChubby

• View Profile
Important Update...
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2006, 07:52:48 am »
Sashz take some photos from your new place and the brazilian girls : )

....  I am a developer/architect
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=131296\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

McChubby, do you mean software architect.. or architect (who design houses for example)???

Im also one who is trying to figure out what to do in his life!(Unix or houses!)

Tasos
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=131314\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
Sorry, yeah a software developer/architect!!  I wouldn't know where to start with buildings, but I could build you some software  .

Put me down for two Brazilian girls...
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 07:54:48 am by McChubby »