Author Topic: Hentges Rom: New Versioning System  (Read 411149 times)

simbaB

• View Profile
    • http://www.oakcourt.dyndns.org/~andrew/
Hentges Rom: New Versioning System
« Reply #75 on: November 15, 2006, 12:42:08 pm »
I am having trouble with the Hentges WIP Opie images for poodle. The link above is what shows up after bootup. Ideas?
[span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\']Collie (not used) | Poodle (OZ/Opie 3.5.4.2-rc2)
Nokia 770 (ITOS 2006) | IBM Thinkpad R51 (Debian)
Intel Core 2 Duo/Desktop Board DG965RY (Debian)[/span]

hvontres

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #76 on: November 15, 2006, 01:42:18 pm »
I am having trouble with the Hentges WIP Opie images for poodle. The link above is what shows up after bootup. Ideas?
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=146357\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Does your SD card have more than one partition? I tried the latest opie this weekend and it did not have that problem. I just cleared my ext2 formated card and untarred the image in my cardreader.

Also, I figured out that you can put the new kernel on the sd card as well. That way I was able to use kexec to test the root-on-sd setup without having to mess with my flash install.
[span style=\'font-size:10pt;line-height:100%\']Henry von Tresckow[/span]
--------------------------------------
SL-5600, OZ 3.5.4.2 (Hentges), Kernel 2.6.17 :)
1gb Kingston SD (ext2), 5Gb Seagate ST1 (3.03 Fw, fat32)
256 MB Kingston SD (ext2),256MB Viking CF,32MB CF (vfat),
homebuilt GPS unit (Based on RFMD RF 8000)

HoloVector

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 15, 2006, 04:45:45 pm »
Thanks CoreDump for all your hard work on this.  I just installed latest GPE WIP for Spitz on my "new" 3200.  It looks great but, I'm having some trouble with the whole safely removing CF and SD cards. 

I was expecting some GUI tool to handle this but, from what I have read on the forums is that there is no reliably running tool for this.  The Matchbox Cards Applet that I installed just disappears from the taskbar when I tap on it. 

To my knowledge there is no (working) GUI app for ejecting SD / CF cardfs for GPE.

I then tried to do it from the terminal but I can't figure it out.  Cardctl and pccardctl are nowhere to be found.  I guess they aren't part of the 2.6 kernel.  So what does one do to safely eject them?  Is there anything I need to type in terminal to kill my wifi connection before I type the eject sequence for the CF card?

Pulling a WIFI card w/o ejecting it is fine, but CF and SD/MMC storage cards should be umounted first (umount /media/card umount /media/cf)
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=146354\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
Thanks CoreDump for the quick response.  Wow!  That's all I needed?  It's too simple.  Thanks again for your help.
I think I'm coming down with what kahm's got!  I now have 3 Zaurii in house!  ;)
Current: Zaurus SL-C3200 -  Bobby (Configuring pdaXii13 Akita with Full 5.4.9 upgrade running IceWM)
Zaurus SL-C1000 - Hachiko (Configuring Cacko 1.23 with evilJazz's new kernel)
Zaurus SL-C860 - Fett (Customized Cacko 1.23 with handmade Boba Fett Theme)
Symbol WiFi CF card|Buffalo WiFi CF Card|Buffalo Ethernet CF Card|Red Piel Frama Case|PDAir Case|Black Pelican 1020 Case|Pentopia Stylii|SaruTek Protectors|Transcend SDs (4GB 150X, 1GB 80X, 256MB 45X, 128MB 45X)|2GB PNY SD|2GB SanDisk SD|Transcend CFs (1GB 80X, 512MB 80X)|Sandisk CFs (4GB, 512MB, 256MB)|256MB Netac USB-CF|RH-1 Remote
Check out the ScummVM@tyrannozaurus page if you are an "adventurer" type of person.

Armagon

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 16, 2006, 06:58:31 pm »
Ah.  I see why dist-upgrade was slightly problematic for me:

I've updated the distro feeds, please run "dist-upgrade" from the console.
dist-upgrade works great, but I had a couple of problems.

I should have been more clear. By "console" I meant the VT (ie: exit Opie / GPE)
[div align=\"right\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

How, exactly, do I exit Opie or GPE to a virtual terminal?

First, I tried getting in from altboot.  Option 7, to run /bin/sh sounded useful, but didn't help.

From GPE,

- Logging out just returns me to the graphical logon screen
- Hitting Ctrl-Alt-Backspace kills the X server, sure enough, but then it is automatically restarted moments later
- I can reboot easily enough with 'shutdown -r now', but that doesn't do it
- I found this year-old thread: [a href=\"https://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=16075&view=findpost&p=103400]What is the OZ boot process?[/url].  Is that explanation the easiest way to exit GPE?

From Opie,

Settings | Shutdown lets me:

- Shutdown
- Restart Opie
- Reboot
- Terminate Opie

All do as they say, and the first three weren't helpful.  Choosing 'Terminate Opie' took me back to a console screen, but I couldn't provide any input or log on.

From the 'Start' Menu, there is a 'Terminal' option, which lets you select from 9 terminals.  (Huh.  What do you know.  Ctrl-Alt-[number] does work to switch, too. I never could figure out how to get back before.)    I can switch terminals all right, but I still can't provide input or log in.

Thanks for humouring me,
Armagon

PS.  Wait a second.  Altboot option #2 is "Don't launch GUI".  That gets me into a terminal for my flashed ROM -- is there any way to do it for an altbooted ROM?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 06:59:40 pm by Armagon »
Sharp Zaurus SL-C1000 -- 2 GB SD Card -- Zippy Slim Mini Keyboard -- Loving pdaXii13!

CoreDump

• View Profile
    • http://www.hentges.net
« Reply #79 on: November 16, 2006, 07:26:57 pm »
Ah.  I see why dist-upgrade was slightly problematic for me:

I've updated the distro feeds, please run "dist-upgrade" from the console.
dist-upgrade works great, but I had a couple of problems.

I should have been more clear. By "console" I meant the VT (ie: exit Opie / GPE)
[div align=\"right\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Good point.

First, I tried getting in from altboot.  Option 7, to run /bin/sh sounded useful, but didn't help.

From GPE,

- Hitting Ctrl-Alt-Backspace kills the X server, sure enough, but then it is automatically restarted moments later

If you kill it >3 times, it will stay down  

- I can reboot easily enough with 'shutdown -r now', but that doesn't do it
- I found this year-old thread: [a href=\"https://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=16075&view=findpost&p=103400]What is the OZ boot process?[/url].  Is that explanation the easiest way to exit GPE?

The easiest way is to change to the VT, then stop the X server:
Code: [Select]
- chvt 1
- login as "root" ( no p/w )
- /etc/init.d/gpe-dm stop

From Opie,

Settings | Shutdown lets me:

- Shutdown
- Restart Opie
- Reboot
- Terminate Opie

All do as they say, and the first three weren't helpful.  Choosing 'Terminate Opie' took me back to a console screen, but I couldn't provide any input or log on.

From the 'Start' Menu, there is a 'Terminal' option, which lets you select from 9 terminals.  (Huh.  What do you know.  Ctrl-Alt-[number] does work to switch, too. I never could figure out how to get back before.)    I can switch terminals all right, but I still can't provide input or log in.

I won't comment on Opies bugs (they won't get fixed anyway) but here goes:

- chvt 1
- login as "root" ( no p/w )
- /etc/init.d/opie stop

Thanks for humouring me,
Armagon

PS.  Wait a second.  Altboot option #2 is "Don't launch GUI".  That gets me into a terminal for my flashed ROM -- is there any way to do it for an altbooted ROM?
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=146491\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Not easily, no.
Webmaster of hentges.net & Embedded Linux Developer.

Armagon

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 16, 2006, 08:19:36 pm »

Good point.

First, I tried getting in from altboot.  Option 7, to run /bin/sh sounded useful, but didn't help.

From GPE,

LOL.  Oh, I needed that laugh.    

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=146494\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Yes; I read in this thread that Opie is no longer maintained.  What happened?

Your instructions work great; thanks, CoreDump.  I wonder ... am I able to shut down Opie, and then start GPE (or vice versa) using a similar command, but with a 'start' instead of 'stop'?  It might be nifty to have them both installed without having to use altboot to go from one to the other.  

Thanks,
Armagon
Sharp Zaurus SL-C1000 -- 2 GB SD Card -- Zippy Slim Mini Keyboard -- Loving pdaXii13!

CoreDump

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 16, 2006, 08:40:25 pm »

Good point.

From GPE,

LOL.  Oh, I needed that laugh.    

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=146494\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Yes; I read in this thread that Opie is no longer maintained.  What happened?

Well, no one is interested in actively maintaining Opie these days. The reasons are manifold

Your instructions work great; thanks, CoreDump.  I wonder ... am I able to shut down Opie, and then start GPE (or vice versa) using a similar command, but with a 'start' instead of 'stop'?

/etc/init.d/opie start
and

/etc/init.d/gpe-dm start
start opie and GPE up again

It might be nifty to have them both installed without having to use altboot to go from one to the other. 

Thanks,
Armagon
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=146505\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

It is possible, yes but not really a useable solution for most folks.

hakujin

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 19, 2006, 03:47:38 am »
Is it possible to sync to Outlook with GPE? I can do it through qtopia desktop with Opie but When I tried to do it with GPE it doesn't work. I have a good connection and I can ping the Z but Qtopia desktop doesn't connect under GPE. I ask because syncing is somewhat important to me and it was mentioned that Opie is not being maintained anymore. I have a Poodle pxa255.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 03:48:15 am by hakujin »
Hentges 2.6 ROM with opie on pxa255 poodle
1GB Kingston SD card
4GB Seagate (photo camera) CF hard drive
SanDisk Connect Plus wifi card
USB cradle to laptop to ethernet bridge to Debian firewall/router/webserver
Wife threatening to leave me if I play around anymore with my Z

CoreDump

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 19, 2006, 03:40:58 pm »
Is it possible to sync to Outlook with GPE? I can do it through qtopia desktop with Opie but When I tried to do it with GPE it doesn't work. I have a good connection and I can ping the Z but Qtopia desktop doesn't connect under GPE. I ask because syncing is somewhat important to me and it was mentioned that Opie is not being maintained anymore. I have a Poodle pxa255.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=146653\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
Qtopia desktop won't ever work with GPE. I don't use syncing myself so I have no idea if / how you can sync GPE w/ Lookout.

CoreDump

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 19, 2006, 03:51:28 pm »
A new update is available (use the dist-upgrade command):

- fixed a bug with dist-upgrade on machines where CardFS is used (Courtesy elhennig@z-portal)
- Many improvements to dist-uprade, including support for a testing feed
- Fixed initial asound.state for Poodle (sound should now work out of the box / after a reboot on upgrades now)
- Added a few more work-arounds for this god damn Opie medium-mount bug

Poodle Users Please Note:

- You should reboot the device after the upgrade

All Users Please Note:
- Exit GPE or Opie before running dist-upgrade

hakujin

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 19, 2006, 04:35:41 pm »
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=146653\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
Qtopia desktop won't ever work with GPE. I don't use syncing myself so I have no idea if / how you can sync GPE w/ Lookout.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=146676\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Do you use the Z at all for PIM apps? If so how do you avoid have to renter everything twice on a desktop and then on the Z? Without calendar functionality and address book functionality my poodle is of limited utility. Also I can't get past the Opie media mount bug I tried the the step you wrote; before going to the console and entering ipkg remove mediummount but it just comes back and says that there is nothing to do. Also everytime I try and boot it goes to rootfs configuration and it wants to fsck the SD card but it says that it is mounted and gives a warning. Is this normal? And it asks if I want move the home directory to the sd card when I say yes or no it comes back and says "cannot create /media/card/etc/ipkg.conf: Read only file system." My sd card is a kingston 1 gig, 1 big partition formatted ext2. I have checked the lock on the SD card and it is unlocked. Danke.

BTW There was a question before about a kernel panic after flashing. Mine did that too at first and what I noticed was that I had to change the permissions on gnu-tar and reflash. The permissions were only read write for everyone no execute. I changed and it flashed fine and then booted. A tell tale sign that this is the problem is that flashing goes real quick and it tells you that gnu-tar could not be accessed.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 04:43:07 pm by hakujin »
Hentges 2.6 ROM with opie on pxa255 poodle
1GB Kingston SD card
4GB Seagate (photo camera) CF hard drive
SanDisk Connect Plus wifi card
USB cradle to laptop to ethernet bridge to Debian firewall/router/webserver
Wife threatening to leave me if I play around anymore with my Z

samac

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 19, 2006, 05:29:49 pm »
A new update is available (use the dist-upgrade command):

- fixed a bug with dist-upgrade on machines where CardFS is used (Courtesy elhennig@z-portal)
- Many improvements to dist-uprade, including support for a testing feed
- Fixed initial asound.state for Poodle (sound should now work out of the box / after a reboot on upgrades now)
- Added a few more work-arounds for this god damn Opie medium-mount bug

Poodle Users Please Note:

- You should reboot the device after the upgrade

All Users Please Note:
- Exit GPE or Opie before running dist-upgrade
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=146677\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Hi CoreDump

I rebooted and selected no gui from altboot.

I ran dist-upgrade

First it tells me thatit is using the cached copy from the last update and that fails when updating the package lists.

When I run it again it downloads feed data, tells me to press enter, and then says there is nothing to be done, is this correct?

PROBLEM SOLVED

For some reason my /etc/resolv.conf had vanished. I made a new one then re-installed opie-vtapplet, then tried again from the vtapplet, and it worked.

PROBLEM SOLVED

Samac
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 06:26:42 pm by samac »
Zaurus SL5500
Hentges 1.0.x
64mb CF card
256mb SD card
Pocket-top Keyboard
Slackware 11.0 (2.6.17.13)

samac

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 19, 2006, 06:36:02 pm »
CoreDump

The dist-upgrade worked, but with the following two problems.

System was confused and required a reboot.

/etc/resolv.conf went walkabout again.

Samac
Zaurus SL5500
Hentges 1.0.x
64mb CF card
256mb SD card
Pocket-top Keyboard
Slackware 11.0 (2.6.17.13)

CoreDump

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 19, 2006, 06:43:49 pm »
Do you use the Z at all for PIM apps? If so how do you avoid have to renter everything twice on a desktop and then on the Z? Without calendar functionality and address book functionality my poodle is of limited utility.

I use my mobile for PIM  

Also I can't get past the Opie media mount bug I tried the the step you wrote; before going to the console and entering ipkg remove mediummount but it just comes back and says that there is nothing to do.

Right, because I have already removed it from recent images. Not that it helped a damn bit

Also everytime I try and boot it goes to rootfs configuration and it wants to fsck the SD card but it says that it is mounted and gives a warning. Is this normal?

You are hitting a bug which I thought already fixed....   Will have a look.

And it asks if I want move the home directory to the sd card when I say yes or no it comes back and says "cannot create /media/card/etc/ipkg.conf: Read only file system."

Could you post the output of "mount" when that happens? Sounds like the auto-mounter is going nuts.

My sd card is a kingston 1 gig, 1 big partition formatted ext2. I have checked the lock on the SD card and it is unlocked. Danke.

BTW There was a question before about a kernel panic after flashing. Mine did that too at first and what I noticed was that I had to change the permissions on gnu-tar and reflash. The permissions were only read write for everyone no execute. I changed and it flashed fine and then booted. A tell tale sign that this is the problem is that flashing goes real quick and it tells you that gnu-tar could not be accessed.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=146679\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Tell-tale indeed. I usually forget that most folks do not know (or care) how the image is flashed (or more correct: extracted on Poodle). I will make the error-message more clear  
Also new versions of updater.sh will auto-chmod gnu-tar if needed.

CoreDump

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 19, 2006, 06:50:18 pm »
Hi CoreDump

I rebooted and selected no gui from altboot.

I ran dist-upgrade

First it tells me thatit is using the cached copy from the last update and that fails when updating the package lists.

When I run it again it downloads feed data, tells me to press enter, and then says there is nothing to be done, is this correct?

PROBLEM SOLVED

For some reason my /etc/resolv.conf had vanished. I made a new one then re-installed opie-vtapplet, then tried again from the vtapplet, and it worked.

PROBLEM SOLVED

Samac
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=146687\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Current version of dist-upgrade will verify a working connection to hentges.net before trying any upgrades. The missing connection was the problem here as every time you run the tool, it tries to download updated feed data. If that fails, it will try the data from the last update, and if that fails, too it will try the data shipped with the ipk on installation (likely to fail).

Since the data changed to adjust for new features, the old (cached) data blew up pretty bad