Author Topic: Camera  (Read 46838 times)

shuntcap

• View Profile
Re: Camera
« Reply #90 on: September 16, 2020, 01:09:44 am »
I have compiled ufraw-batch for Termux.  It is a program to convert RAW images to other image formats, including JPEG.  Get it below

I finally got around trying this...are you using some other Termux? I just installed mine from play store. The package manager is still pkg, not apt, and libexiv2 is not available as a package. Is this meant for the Devuan installation as per the other thread or something like that (requires root)?

This was intended for use with Termux from the Play Store.  However, this step is no longer required, as I released an updated .apk on September 7th that solves the crop and overexposure problems: https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?topic=35912.msg296708#msg296708

Saving as RAW in GCam is now purely optional since the JPEGs are fully usable.

spook

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 16, 2020, 01:11:41 am »
Thank you shuntcap!
I did a quick rundown between Stock camera app, Opencamera and your port of gcam. Needless to say that gcam blew the competition out of the water.
Stock camera and Opencamera photos are ~identical to me (atleast on default settings)
One thing I noticed is that gcam photos are "only" 5.9 Mpix in size. And on some very fine details with good light conditions I can interpret more info from stock camera apps 23.8Mpix photo. (yes, I've read this thread and discussion about Cosmo's Samsung made camera sensors true capabilities. But I was left in impression that the stock app (api) is just doing something wrong and there could be more information to be fetched from the sensor, right?

But generally most of the things are so much better on gcam's photos that I've switched completely to that (atleast for now)

This is interesting, and I think it has to do with why companies can claim a camera is x megapixles when the sensor isn't actually capable of shooting at that resolution. I'm pretty vague on this -  and I'm sure someone here can correct me if / where I am wrong - but the way that I understand it is the camera chip can "create" pixels to a fair degree of accuracy. For example, if the sensor picks up a red pixel next to another red pixel, the chip can create another red pixel between them with a reasonable assumption that it is accurate. Obviously, things are more complicated when different colour pixels are next to each other, but I believe it does some fancy algorithms to work out what pixel it should create. I think this is called interpolation. Gurus on this forum - am I correct or completely off the mark?

shuntcap

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 16, 2020, 01:29:05 am »
One thing I noticed is that gcam photos are "only" 5.9 Mpix in size. And on some very fine details with good light conditions I can interpret more info from stock camera apps 23.8Mpix photo. (yes, I've read this thread and discussion about Cosmo's Samsung made camera sensors true capabilities. But I was left in impression that the stock app (api) is just doing something wrong and there could be more information to be fetched from the sensor, right?

MediaTek's JPEG engine oversharpens and exaggerates certain details, while smearing away most of the rest.  That's probably why in rare occasions details may appear sharper in the stock JPEG versus GCam's JPEG. Try comparing a RAW image from GCam to a stock interpolated 24MP image.  Also keep in mind that even with GCam's advanced JPEG engine, some details are lost during noise reduction. If you want to preserve the greatest amount of detail, shoot in RAW and then edit to taste in a RAW image editor, applying minimal noise reduction before saving your final JPEG.  Finally, for the most effective pixel-peeping comparisons, try a large monitor, not the Cosmo's LCD.

As for only being 5.9MP, that is correct, that is the sensor's native resolution, and that's exactly why our expensive modern Cosmo "phone" cannot even record 4K video which requires at least 8MP of native (not interpolated) resolution.

shuntcap

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 16, 2020, 01:33:43 am »
“A suggestion for the take photo with enter or spacebar. There's already one for volume control, so im guessing he could tweak that one.

taking photos by tapping on the screen tends to shake the phone. prob due to the weight distrobution or something”

I like this idea and will look into adding it.  After all, that is why we backed or purchased the Cosmo, so we could use a real keyboard instead of relying on the touch screen.

shuntcap

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 16, 2020, 01:36:54 am »
I think I found another thing that is broken in your mod, the front/internal camera crashes the app when trying to take a picture.

Right you are!  I will see about fixing that when I return from vacation at the end of the month.

Zarhan

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 16, 2020, 08:21:28 am »
This was intended for use with Termux from the Play Store.  However, this step is no longer required, as I released an updated .apk on September 7th that solves the crop and overexposure problems: https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?topic=35912.msg296708#msg296708

Ah, thanks for the clarification! Looks good.

Zarhan

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 17, 2020, 07:48:01 am »
Is there some way to turn off the HDR in the GCam build?

It seems I can have HDR or HDR+, but not completely off.

shuntcap

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 18, 2020, 01:07:08 am »
Is there some way to turn off the HDR in the GCam build?

It seems I can have HDR or HDR+, but not completely off.

Judging from the disassembled code, no.  It's built into the image processing flow and didn't look to be optional.  If you truly need to bypass the HDR, try shooting in RAW and post-processing.  I agree, the HDR goes overboard sometimes and I'd prefer to be able to disable it.  I got more accurate results (matching real life) by shooting RAW and boosting the shadows.  I'll check the code again when I resume working on the other issues.  Maybe I overlooked something.

TauPan

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #98 on: September 19, 2020, 01:51:06 pm »
Hi!

I've tried to download your gcam mod but a new browser tab opens (chrome on android) and closes again and nothing is downloaded.

Vistaus

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 19, 2020, 04:14:20 pm »
Hi!

I've tried to download your gcam mod but a new browser tab opens (chrome on android) and closes again and nothing is downloaded.

It's a strange browser issue. I had the same issue with Vivaldi, but not with Yandex. Not sure where the problem lies.

TauPan

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #100 on: September 20, 2020, 05:52:47 am »
Hi!

It's a strange browser issue. I had the same issue with Vivaldi, but not with Yandex. Not sure where the problem lies.

Ah, thanks for that hint. It works if I copy the url, open  a new tab and then paste. :)

sup

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 24, 2020, 06:12:06 am »
Is there any way to take a macro picture  with the app by Shuntcap? I cannot seem to find a way to modify focus distance.

I also found out I need to enable HDR+ in the settings to get betterlooking pictures (taking of a picture than takes around five cseconds).

Vistaus

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 24, 2020, 06:54:27 am »
Is there any way to take a macro picture  with the app by Shuntcap? I cannot seem to find a way to modify focus distance.

I also found out I need to enable HDR+ in the settings to get betterlooking pictures (taking of a picture than takes around five cseconds).

5 seconds? I think Planet shipped you the wrong Cosmo 'cause I tried HDR+ on a few Cosmos now and it only takes 2 seconds.

sup

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 24, 2020, 07:05:59 am »
Ok, probably maybe three seconds. Still considerably longer than without the setting. I was off by two seconds, it felt long.

sup

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 03, 2020, 06:56:16 am »
So regarding macro, when you try for long enough, I found out the phone is capable of focusing something just a dozen centimetres from the lense.

However, today, the app stopped taking pictures with HDR+ enabled. It seems to be taking a picture but nothing gets saved. It happened once before when I turned on video, but a reboot fixed that. Now a reboot does not help and neither does removing and reinstalling the app. Any ideas (for now I turned the HDR+ feature off, but Iactually like its results)?