Author Topic: Camera  (Read 46657 times)

shuntcap

• View Profile
Re: Camera
« Reply #75 on: September 07, 2020, 10:16:59 pm »
Thanks so much for this! I downloaded it and installed it straight away. I've only taken a couple of test photos in my office, but interestingly, even the jpgs in your modified app seem to look better than Open Camera. HEre are my very quick test results: https://imgur.com/a/COZaNi6 (blown up to 300%)

OpenCamera uses MediaTek's kernel driver and Android libraries to encode JPEGs, and they look dreadful.  Scroll up through my previous posts for some comparisons.  Stock camera app or OpenCamera, they will both look bad especially at a 100% crop.  Google Camera, on the other hand, uses its own library to read the sensor directly, which is why the photos look so much better.  MediaTek really fumbled here.

Looking at your sample crops, notice how the sun rays and clouds on the watch face are smudged away in the OpenCamera crop.  Highlights are completely exaggerated, wood detail is smudged away then oversharpened.  This is not OpenCamera's fault, it's MediaTek's.

The RAW image is the sharpest in terms of detail and fine texture, which is to be expected.  Google Camera's JPEG is a drop down from there, losing some detail as noise reduction is applied (not much is needed on this sensor, by the way), and sometimes the HDR makes scenes look unrealistic due to overamplified dynamic range.  But if RAW is a 10/10, GCam's JPEG is a 7/10, and OpenCamera/stock app is a 2/10... in my opinion.

spook

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 07, 2020, 11:19:10 pm »
Ah - that's interesting... Makes sense as to why the jpg is better too! Thanks again for making this for the community.

a1astair

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 07, 2020, 11:30:08 pm »
Google Photos allows you to view the raw DNG files. However, when I download them or even transfer directly from my phone over USB to my Windows 10 machine, the resolution of the DNG files appears to change.

In Google Photos, JPG resolution is 2816 x 2108, DNG resolution is 2800 x 2092.

In Windows 10, Explorer reports the JPG resolution to be the same, but the DNG resolution is now 940 x 702!

If I upload the DNG on my Windows PC to Google Photos, the resolution is back at 2800 x 2092.

What Windows package allows you to view DNG files at the native resolution? I tried IrfanView and the built-in Windows 10 photo viewer and they all downsize the photos.

shuntcap

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 08, 2020, 01:02:00 am »
In Windows 10, Explorer reports the JPG resolution to be the same, but the DNG resolution is now 940 x 702!

If I upload the DNG on my Windows PC to Google Photos, the resolution is back at 2800 x 2092.

What Windows package allows you to view DNG files at the native resolution? I tried IrfanView and the built-in Windows 10 photo viewer and they all downsize the photos.

RAW files typically have an embedded preview image of much lower resolution.  That's probably what Windows is showing you.

I use RawTherapee on a Linux machine to process RAW images, but a Windows 64-bit port exists:
https://www.rawtherapee.com/downloads/

kaim

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 08, 2020, 10:33:26 am »
If some one is interested here is the list of phones with the same camera chip. It may be bigger (wider use) but that what I was able to find. It may help if we are about to search for the source codes and compare them.

Blackview BV9600
BLU Vivo XI+
Doogee V
Elephone A5
Leagoo S10
Nokia 5.1 Plus
Nokia X5
Oppo A3
Oppo A7x
Oppo F7
Oppo F9
Oppo F9 Pro
Oppo R15
Panasonic Eluga X1
Realme 1
UMiDIGI F1
UMiDIGI Z2 Pro
Vernee M8 Pro
Vivo V11i
Vivo X21i
Vivo Y97
Vivo Z3i

spook

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 09, 2020, 02:56:02 am »

Any RAW viewer - like LightRoom - should be able to open the RAW file. You can also use Darktable if you want a free one on Windows.

ianisthewalrus

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 09, 2020, 05:18:08 pm »
This is super awesome! Thanks shuntcap!

mibry

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 10, 2020, 05:51:43 am »
I am posting this on behalf of @DragonInWhite from discord

“A suggestion for the take photo with enter or spacebar. There's already one for volume control, so im guessing he could tweak that one.

taking photos by tapping on the screen tends to shake the phone. prob due to the weight distrobution or something”

Regards

Mibry

oe9fwv

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 10, 2020, 06:50:57 am »
I tried to install the apk on my Cosmo, but I get an error message: App was not installed.
I can install F1MinimalMod2.1.apk though.
Can you help?

DragonInWhite

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 10, 2020, 07:22:19 am »
I am posting this on behalf of @DragonInWhite from discord

“A suggestion for the take photo with enter or spacebar. There's already one for volume control, so im guessing he could tweak that one.

taking photos by tapping on the screen tends to shake the phone. prob due to the weight distrobution or something”

Regards

Mibry

Finally got an account here.

Firstly, thanks for taking the effort to help port the app over and make the cosmo's camera more usable. Really appreciate all you done.

Anyway, taking pictures with spacebar or enter is just a suggestion, not a demand. No obligation but be great if you could put that it. Just did not wanna come across as being ungrateful and demanding.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 07:28:06 am by DragonInWhite »

ianisthewalrus

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 10, 2020, 09:19:25 pm »
I tried to install the apk on my Cosmo, but I get an error message: App was not installed.
I can install F1MinimalMod2.1.apk though.
Can you help?

uninstall the old gcam app first, then try the new one.

ianisthewalrus

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 13, 2020, 06:51:30 pm »
Hey Shuntcap,

I think I found another thing that is broken in your mod, the front/internal camera crashes the app when trying to take a picture.

just a heads up :-)

Hount

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 14, 2020, 03:16:03 am »
Thank you shuntcap!
I did a quick rundown between Stock camera app, Opencamera and your port of gcam. Needless to say that gcam blew the competition out of the water.
Stock camera and Opencamera photos are ~identical to me (atleast on default settings)
One thing I noticed is that gcam photos are "only" 5.9 Mpix in size. And on some very fine details with good light conditions I can interpret more info from stock camera apps 23.8Mpix photo. (yes, I've read this thread and discussion about Cosmo's Samsung made camera sensors true capabilities. But I was left in impression that the stock app (api) is just doing something wrong and there could be more information to be fetched from the sensor, right?

But generally most of the things are so much better on gcam's photos that I've switched completely to that (atleast for now)

Zarhan

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 15, 2020, 12:09:45 pm »
I have compiled ufraw-batch for Termux.  It is a program to convert RAW images to other image formats, including JPEG.  Get it below and save it somewhere under /data/data/com.termux/files/home:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/98hadotbylzv20a/ufraw-batch.bz2?dl=1

Give storage permissions to Termux in order to access /sdcard (where RAW images are stored):  Hit Fn+Del to go to Settings, Apps & notifications, find Termux, Permissions, enable Storage.

Start Termux.  You'll need to install some additional libraries:
Code: [Select]
apt install libexiv2 libtiff libpng libjpeg-turbo bzip2

I finally got around trying this...are you using some other Termux? I just installed mine from play store. The package manager is still pkg, not apt, and libexiv2 is not available as a package. Is this meant for the Devuan installation as per the other thread or something like that (requires root)?

cam1965

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #89 on: September 15, 2020, 05:13:14 pm »
apt works but libexiv2 is not there. ( but it is not necessary ). Also when I run ufraw-batch it gives the error below :
$ ufraw-batch
CANNOT LINK EXECUTABLE "ufraw-batch": library "libgthread-2.0.so" not found
So I had to install glib and littlecms to work. ( the error was gone ).
It saves in .ppm ( I have installed file viewer for android to open it ).
Or ufraw-batch --out-type=jpeg ( img file ) to save in jpg
Thank you all.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 06:22:52 pm by cam1965 »