Author Topic: CoDi is a broken feature at this point  (Read 12871 times)

TomJ

• View Profile
CoDi is a broken feature at this point
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2020, 08:41:45 am »
Quote from: Varti
@SwordfishII:
I have moderated your post since with it the thread was starting to become a list of personal insults. But yes, you are right that it isn't polite to call the Cosmo a "broken garbage", although I understand the frustration when a device this expensive doesn't meet your expectations.

Let's rather focus on what could be the improvements on the software side. I really hope to see a future CoDi update with a smoother UI, for example.

Varti

The address book in CoDi's phone app does appear to be broken - it doesn't show any contact beyond L for me and this appears to be a common problem.

It also needs to be more discriminating in accepting inputs - I'm hep to the vibe that accepting cover touch input is a feature, not a bug, but as no-one seems to know how it's meant to work it's feeling fairly bug-like at the moment; there needs to be a setting to disable the cover input when the device is open.  Similarly, it would be good if it could detect when it is near a face during a call or in a pocket and disable input in these situations - does the device have a suitable proximity sensor?

SwordfishII

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2020, 12:55:54 pm »
Quote from: TomJ
Quote from: Varti
@SwordfishII:
I have moderated your post since with it the thread was starting to become a list of personal insults. But yes, you are right that it isn't polite to call the Cosmo a "broken garbage", although I understand the frustration when a device this expensive doesn't meet your expectations.

Let's rather focus on what could be the improvements on the software side. I really hope to see a future CoDi update with a smoother UI, for example.

Varti

The address book in CoDi's phone app does appear to be broken - it doesn't show any contact beyond L for me and this appears to be a common problem.

It also needs to be more discriminating in accepting inputs - I'm hep to the vibe that accepting cover touch input is a feature, not a bug, but as no-one seems to know how it's meant to work it's feeling fairly bug-like at the moment; there needs to be a setting to disable the cover input when the device is open.  Similarly, it would be good if it could detect when it is near a face during a call or in a pocket and disable input in these situations - does the device have a suitable proximity sensor?

My phone book has all contacts, but I do recognize that is a common issue.

Agree it would be nice to not trigger touch with your face on a call, Perhaps the screen off setting on codi while in call could only be cancelled by the silver button on top? Since the speaker is on the angled top i make sure that it is on my ear and the body and screen angles away from my face so I don't touch the screen with my face.

As far as the pocket, the screen doesn't accept touch input aside from the passcode/fingerprint when locked so I have never had it trigger anything in my pocket.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 12:57:53 pm by SwordfishII »

greguu

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://github.com/greguu
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2020, 02:57:16 am »
Just keep it civil please & avoid these personal conflicts.
Gemini-PDA (Sailfish X and Android) / LG Nexus 5 (Android 11) / Nokia N9 (MeeGo/Harmattan)
Sharp Zaurus C3100 (Borzoi) - Void Linux (voidz) Kernel 5.0.0 - Hardware (Buffalo CF LAN, DLink 660 CF WiFi, ASIX AX88772 USB Ethernet)

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2020, 05:02:42 am »
I've deleted the inappropriate comments.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 03:33:07 pm by speculatrix »
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

spook

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2020, 05:09:31 am »
I find it strange that people get so worked up over different people's opinions...

Ironically, I think we're kind of all agreeing. Some things work, others don't work so well. Some not at all. Whether you think it is "broken" or "garbage" really just depends on your expectations and your use and your experience. I don't think anyone is disagreeing that it could work better. Maybe some of these issues can be fixed, others may be inherent to the interface it uses and the hardware and not fixable in this version.

For me it's a useful feature that could use a fair bit of improvement. But I like it! Coming from the Gemini, it makes the device a lot more useful as a phone. At the end of the day it is what it is and we should be able to be mature enough to have differing opinions and respect them. It's not like someone is bullying your kid at school

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2020, 05:19:39 am »
@Everyone:

We now perfectly know what each of us here thinks about the Cosmo. There's no more need to reiterate that, or to try to convince others that your point of view is the correct one.

From this point on, we'll delete every post containing derogatory comments about other's points of view, whatever they are. If these kind of comments will continue, we'll have to lock the thread.

Again, please keep this discussion civil.

Varti
Planet Gemini PDA WiFi/LTE with Mediatek x27
SL-C1000 running Arch Linux ARM May2017, K30225 Wi-Fi CF Card, 64GB SDXC card
and many other Zauruses!

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2020, 05:20:25 am »
Quote from: spook
I find it strange that people get so worked up over different people's opinions...

Ironically, I think we're kind of all agreeing. Some things work, others don't work so well. Some not at all. Whether you think it is "broken" or "garbage" really just depends on your expectations and your use and your experience. I don't think anyone is disagreeing that it could work better. Maybe some of these issues can be fixed, others may be inherent to the interface it uses and the hardware and not fixable in this version.

For me it's a useful feature that could use a fair bit of improvement. But I like it! Coming from the Gemini, it makes the device a lot more useful as a phone. At the end of the day it is what it is and we should be able to be mature enough to have differing opinions and respect them. It's not like someone is bullying your kid at school
I couldn't agree more with you

Varti
Planet Gemini PDA WiFi/LTE with Mediatek x27
SL-C1000 running Arch Linux ARM May2017, K30225 Wi-Fi CF Card, 64GB SDXC card
and many other Zauruses!

SwordfishII

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2020, 12:08:30 pm »
Quote from: Noppe
Quote from: SwordfishII
This device works exactly as designed and intended, so no it isn't "broken," and it isn't "garbage"

CoDi is designed to consume vast amounts of battery and respond so sluggishly as to be largely unusable?  Let's be honest here.  It is, in its current state, "broken".

Hopefully its performance can be greatly improved through software updates, but it's quite clear that currently, it is most certainly not "working exactly as designed and intended".

Hmm I guess i don't use it. Often.

Sure it can be improved, but that's a far cry from unusable
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 02:04:35 pm by SwordfishII »

Kamikaze Comet

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2020, 04:21:55 pm »
Quote from: Noppe
Quote from: SwordfishII
This device works exactly as designed and intended, so no it isn't "broken," and it isn't "garbage"

CoDi is designed to consume vast amounts of battery and respond so sluggishly as to be largely unusable?  Let's be honest here.  It is, in its current state, "broken".

Hopefully its performance can be greatly improved through software updates, but it's quite clear that currently, it is most certainly not "working exactly as designed and intended".

Exactly! Thank you for point it out sir!

I'm constantly on a debate with myself whether I should leave it on when I took the phone out. If I leave it on, my battery gets drained super fast. If I turn it off, I won't know who is calling me, and I won't be able to answer the phone without opening it.

edit:
Thankfully I'm don't have to rely on CoDi recently for some ***censored reasons***
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 04:55:28 pm by Kamikaze Comet »

maki.jouni

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2020, 09:38:17 am »
Quote from: Kamikaze Comet
I won't be able to answer the phone without opening it
I haven't use CoDi after few days of testing after updates. It's still battery drain so I disabled totally.

Rocker switch will work still while CoDi is disabled from Cosmo settings and personally I see from smartwatch who is calling.
Cosmo Communicator (Fin/Swe), Mix2, Sony Xperia XZ & Z3, Nokia N900, Nokia PARSA, HTC Touch Pro, Qtek 9100, Nokia 6600 & 6210 & 2110, Mobira Talkman

James Shields

• View Profile
Re: CoDi is a broken feature at this point
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2020, 04:38:11 pm »
Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I''ve been using Cosmo for several months without CoDi, since the last firmware update failed, and I really don't miss it. Prior to that I found it more annoying than useful.

Most significantly, CoDi seemed to impose a massive hit on battery life, even when I turned it off in the settings (and it always came back on when the phone rebooted). With cover display on, I was generally getting 3/4 of a day on a full charge. I'd usually get a full day with it disabled in settings. However, with the firmware bricked, I'm easily getting a day and a half.

ianisthewalrus

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2020, 08:56:46 pm »
indeed even with all the latest updates, i found v23 got worse battery than v19 with codi on. that was the first time i was getting less than a full day. turning codi off, and i EASILY get 2-2.5 days of use between charges now.

shinkamui

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2021, 01:16:44 pm »
I took a break from the cosmo for a good while, after my codi self destructed under its own glass again somewhow.  This entire thread did make me laugh.  While i dont agree with the term Broken Garbage, if you take a step back from your association with teh purchase and look at the issues posted just in this thread alone, its very hard to make the argument that its working "as intended".  All things considered, even within our own little group, tribalism still sprouts its wings and shows its ugly face.  I for one came here hoping planet would have ironed out a lot of the annoyances by now.  It seems like they've mostly moved onto the next device though :(:(

gymbo

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2021, 03:14:37 pm »
I took a break from the cosmo for a good while, after my codi self destructed under its own glass again somewhow.  This entire thread did make me laugh.  While i dont agree with the term Broken Garbage, if you take a step back from your association with teh purchase and look at the issues posted just in this thread alone, its very hard to make the argument that its working "as intended".  All things considered, even within our own little group, tribalism still sprouts its wings and shows its ugly face.  I for one came here hoping planet would have ironed out a lot of the annoyances by now.  It seems like they've mostly moved onto the next device though :(:(

For ME the Codi works more or less as expected, even though it is slow at times (and only take part of my contacts, but I would probably prefer to call from the "inside" when calling from my contacts directly anyway).

(Oh, and I don't really think your Codi has the ability to "self-distruct", unless you think Planet has rigged the screen with some kind of small explosives. One might claim it is poor construction, but there has to be some kind of external pressure to make it crack. That you are not aware of any situation with that kind of pressure is NOT the same as that there has BEEN none...

Daniel W

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2021, 01:18:27 pm »
For reference, my CoDi randomly hangs, multiple times a day, on the Planet logo, a distorted menu or, more rarely, a distorted logo. Then, it just shows the logo or nothing, until turned off and on again from the main screen shortcut. As I like to keep the brightness down, which it forgets when restarted, restoring that setting, gets boring really soon. As I do keep restarting it, though, I am, apparently, finding it somewhat useful, even in its present state. Or I'm just a programmer, used to things not quite working.

Maybe the update to 1.1.1.15 made it a bit less unstable. I feel like I'm down from about five to three restarts a day. As I upgraded to 1.1.1.16 so recently, I can't say how it performs yet, though I am, obviously, hoping for the best.

My contact list doesn't get cut off, which might be because mine only has 60 or so contacts, with around 90 numbers in total. Maybe there's a limit to how many contacts the (very limited) computer running the CoDi can handle? If so, maybe forcing users with "too many" contacts to pick a first letter and then only show those contacts, would be a feasible workaround?

I do find it bothersome that it wakes up for non-events, such as when Google Play or Airmail merely looks for updates or mail. Ideally, those apps should have their own settings to only notify when they found something, but even then, I'd still like a notification filter (in Android) for the CoDi. For example, while I do want new mail notifications on the CoDi, as there might be a human awaiting my response, I do not want app update notifications on the CoDi, only on the main screen.

I would find it helpful if I could significantly lower the CoDi timeout, from its default 40 seconds, to, say, 10, so non sense distractions, at least, would go away sooner. As it is now, I feel compelled to use the "silver button" to put it back to sleep, whenever it shows something less than useful, which is often. Many times though, it will immediately wake up again, because checking email wasn't quite done or whatever. If I have explicitly told it to go back to sleep, it would be useful if it could ignore that particular type of notification for the next minute or so.

It would also be helpful if the camera preview wouldn't lag so badly. Currently, it appears to show a qVGA (240x320) picture at ~2fps, with multiple seconds of lag. As it can only ever be used for coarse framing, I'd much rather have, say a 120x160 or even 60x80 pixel preview (I mean, look at my avatar, that's 29x29), if that could get me a better frame rate with (much) less lag.