Author Topic: Update available - v20 - 26th March 2020  (Read 13088 times)

cam1965

• View Profile
    • http://
Update available - v20 - 26th March 2020
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2020, 02:59:29 pm »
Quote from: Zarhan
Quote from: cam1965
So I' ve downgraded to v19.

How do you downgrade (without losing data)?

It is no possible.
The images are in : https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?showto...35879&st=75 ( full image ).
In fastboot mode :

use for reference :   https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?showto...35879&st=60 post # 69
( The lk, scp, sspm and tee partitions appear to have alternate copies on lk2, scp2, sspm_2 and tee2.
 I "ve also flashed  these and also  preloader and recovery ).

Linux was not affected . Also TWRP and rooted android weren' t affected. As reported here, in rooted android sim card does not work unless if you write the patched image in the boot partition and not in  EMPTY_NORMAL_BOOT_3 - or EMPTY_NORMAL_BOOT_4 . ( http://support.planetcom.co.uk/index.php/Linux_for_Cosmo ).
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 03:00:15 pm by cam1965 »

cam1965

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2020, 03:02:35 pm »
Quote from: ZimbiX
Have they removed the update, or do they roll out updates gradually? It's not coming up for me. I'm on Cosmo-9.0-Planet-01182020-V19
They removed.
I think you have received an email like below:
Cosmo Android 9 V20 firmware update fix

Dear Cosmo backers!

After we released the v20 firmware update for the Cosmo Communicator early
last week, some of you alerted us about problems with the device.
We quickly halted the update procedure and investigated the update.

We found a misconfiguration of the Google GMS module which lead Google to assume
that your device is not certified. As a result certain applications such as
Google Pay, Netflix and the fingerprint module didn't work as expected.

We worked around the clock to fix the issue together with the team in China
and we now have a firmware update that fixes the reported issues.

The fix requires a factory reset and for this reason we haven't created an over-the-air update at this stage, but a manual one. People who urgently need to restore their device can now do it, while we try to create on a more generic solution.

If you have updated your Cosmo to version v20 and are experiencing these issues, please make sure that you first backup your data and then follow this guide
to update the firmware manually:

http://support.planetcom.co.uk/index.php/FotaUpdate_v20

We are very sorry about this issue and we are taking further steps to avoid
this kind of issue in the future. In particular we will soon release our own
firmware update software which will replace the current one and give
us greater flexibility to handle firmware updates.

Thank you for your patience.

Stay safe!

Best regards,

Team Cosmo

cam1965

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2020, 03:09:16 pm »
Quote from: KMM
it works fine for me

Yes, it seems to work fine for me too. No noticeable improvements for me, though.

Problem is that Play protect is not certified.  As a result certain applications such as
Google Pay, Netflix and the fingerprint module didn't work as expected.

Check your Play Protect certification status

Open the Google Play Store app .
Tap Menu. Settings.
Under "Play Protect certification," you'll see if your device is Play Protect certified.

AGdesigns-NL

• View Profile
    • Http://agdesigns.nl
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2020, 03:43:22 am »
My google play store is certified under the "incorrect version" 03262020-V20 <20200325_1914>
Also i have none of the "errors" weird.

Not sure if i need to manually update it with loosing all data. Don't see any benefit of that. Suggestions, if it ain't broken don't fix it??

Zarhan

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2020, 04:13:23 am »
Quote from: AGdesigns-NL
Not sure if i need to manually update it with loosing all data. Don't see any benefit of that. Suggestions, if it ain't broken don't fix it??

Considering that V21 is something they have stitched together over the last weekend as an emergency fix, I sure as heck am not going to touch that thing.

In retrorespect, I only wish that I had waited a bit longer before upgrading, but I thought that a few days would have been enough warning. When next real OTA upgrade rolls around, I'm sure going let others test it first

Daniel W

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2020, 08:28:29 am »
I'm (also) on V20 and Google Play says I'm (still) certified. My battery life, especiallly in flight mode (which I use each night) is certainly better and my battery usage graph works now. I'm pleased with V20 so far, but I've never used Netflix or Google Pay, so I can't comment on those.

My fingerprint reader did stop working, and just rescanning fingerprints didn't work. After rebooting, my rescanned prints worked again (not sure if JUST an extra reboot would have helped). My Cosmo used to occasionally reboot on earlier firmwares. On V20 it hasn't (yet), but during one phone call, it locked up. The call continued, but both screens were off and no buttons did anything, except holding down Esc to force a rebooot. My CoDi still hangs daily, as expected, since it's still on the same firmware as before. I don't know why I have such issues when others don't. When closing the device, I always turn the CoDi off with the side button, and I keep turning its brightness down, should any of that matter.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 04:27:29 am by Daniel W »

cam1965

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2020, 09:49:32 am »
Quote from: Daniel W
I'm (also) on V20 and Google Play says I'm (still) certified. My battery life, especiallly in flight mode (which I use each night) is certainly better and my battery usage graph works now. I'm pleased with V20 so far, but I've never used Netflix or Google Pay, so I can't comment on those.

My fingerprint reader did stop working, and just rescanning fingerprints didn't work. After rebooting, my rescanned prints worked again (not sure if JUST an extra reboot would have helped). My Cosmo used to occasionally reboot on earlier firmwares. On V20 it hasn't (yet), but during one phone call, it locked up. The call continued, but both screens were off and no buttons did anything, except holding down Esc to force a rebooot. My CoDi still hangs daily, as expected, since it's still on the same firmware as before. I don't know why I have such issues when others don't. When cloing the device, I always turn the CoDi off with the side button, and I keep turning its brightness down, should any of that matter.

If you go to the Play Store and search on netflix and it shows  to install, your device  certainly is  certified. But if netflix doesn't shows in play store to install your device is not certified. When I was with v20 (now I am with v19), netflix did not shows on play store  to be installed.

klampfenfreak

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2020, 11:09:02 am »
Today I had 3 unexpected reboots with V20. I have now disabled the CODI and it seems to be stable.
 Also Planet Notes app does not recognize any touch inputs, anymore!
Oh! Notes app works again!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 11:18:57 am by klampfenfreak »

AGdesigns-NL

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2020, 12:13:49 pm »

My fingerprint reader did stop working, and just rescanning fingerprints didn't work. After rebooting, my rescanned prints worked again (not sure if JUST an extra reboot would have helped). My Cosmo used to occasionally reboot on earlier firmwares. On V20 it hasn't (yet), but during one phone call, it locked up. The call continued, but both screens were off and no buttons did anything, except holding down Esc to force a rebooot. My CoDi still hangs daily, as expected, since it's still on the same firmware as before. I don't know why I have such issues when others don't. When cloing the device, I always turn the CoDi off with the side button, and I keep turning its brightness down, should any of that matter.

If you go to the Play Store and search on netflix and it shows  to install, your device  certainly is  certified. But if netflix doesn't shows in play store to install your device is not certified. When I was with v20 (now I am with v19), netflix did not shows on play store  to be installed.
----
Good one... just checked and netflix is not in the store  anymore and when i force open it in the play store there is a warnign that the device is not compatible.
BUT play store still tells me that it is certified...

Guess i will go with the procedure form planet and factory reset it  any tips for a good backup / restore tool... ?

cam1965

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2020, 12:34:50 pm »

----
Good one... just checked and netflix is not in the store  anymore and when i force open it in the play store there is a warnign that the device is not compatible.

Guess i will go with the procedure form planet and factory reset it  any tips for a good backup / restore tool... ?

If you have a rooted device, maybe tar cvf file.tar.gz "files to backup " inside terminal emulator  , termux or so. Some people reccomends titanium backup. I prefer reinstall everything to avoid conflicts.
It is simple : go to Play store and reinstall everything from library. Also contacts and photos have a backup as well whatsapp. ( you can do it before to install the update ) . Sorry about my English. I am from Brazil..
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 01:07:04 pm by cam1965 »

AGdesigns-NL

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2020, 04:43:50 pm »

----

If you have a rooted device, maybe tar cvf file.tar.gz "files to backup " inside terminal emulator  , termux or so. Some people reccomends titanium backup. I prefer reinstall everything to avoid conflicts.
It is simple : go to Play store and reinstall everything from library. Also contacts and photos have a backup as well whatsapp. ( you can do it before to install the update ) . Sorry about my English. I am from Brazil..
---
device is rooted.
now on the latest version. just did it all manually. Took me around 1,5 hour. but thanks all for the tips !!

Daniel W

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2020, 07:51:06 am »
These are my results. I'm on V20:

According  to the Play Store, my Cosmo is certified:

And Netflix seems available, should I want to:
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
I don't know why, but it seems I'm having a case of "if it ain't broken, don't fix it".

Zarhan

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2020, 08:08:16 am »
I don't know why, but it seems I'm having a case of "if it ain't broken, don't fix it".

I just checked. My device is *not* certified and I cannot install Netflix.

So yeah, definitely differences in behavior. Considering we probably have device from same PCB (Fi/Swe-keyboard) then that's rather interesting...

Right now I don't even have my device rooted. I have unlocked bootloader, but that's all.

novaldex

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2020, 07:41:39 am »
I was managing okay on v20 until yesterday. Now I can't hear anyone when i'm using it as a phone. I can on speakerphone however, so i'm guessing it's an issue with the main part talking to CoDi.

Being pressed for time, I thought i'd try the upgrade to v21, and managed to backup my data (I think!). It's a really annoying stupid thing to have to reset your phone, and if this is the process going forward then i'm not going to do it anymore.

I've now got a wiped phone, testing a few basic settings and guess what? I still can't hear anything on the phone! Speakerphone again works.

Which means i'll be wasting my afternoon trying to put v19 back on again, just make it work. Good job i'm stuck indoors.

I am beginning to get to the end of my tether. It's already upsetting my other half who keeps saying 'why don't you just get a proper phone?'. My answer has always been 'becasue no one makes anything worth having'

I won't be investing in the Astro. Looks nice enough, but i'm stopping here. For now at least. Sorry Planet. I want to support you, but if this is how things are going, I am really going to have to think about whether I can

Just an extra thought, if Planet were to make all the ROMs officially available for manual download & install, I might find this a lot easier to handle
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 07:46:56 am by novaldex »

Zarhan

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2020, 08:52:15 am »
Quote from: novaldex
I was managing okay on v20 until yesterday. Now I can't hear anyone when i'm using it as a phone. I can on speakerphone however, so i'm guessing it's an issue with the main part talking to CoDi.

Frankly, to me this sounds like a hardware problem. Maybe the earpiece is broken.

Maybe you can test with something rudimentary, like playing media via the handset.