Author Topic: V21 firmware  (Read 6996 times)

Isurus65

• View Profile
    • http://
V21 firmware
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2020, 05:04:13 am »
Quote from: Isurus65
Just updated to V21 following Planet Computer instructions after fingerprints failed to work on V20.

I noticed that Android Security Update is now 5 July 2019. I thought V20 had a more recent security update, but I can't remember now.

Fingerprint error seems to be fixed, but every time  I open the Cosmo after it has gone into sleep mode (closing cover) for a few minutes, I find that the system has either shut down or rebooted.

The spontaneous shutdown/reboot stopped after I disabled CODI, which means fingerprints don't work anyway. So I got nothing from the factory reset, except the grief of the July 2019 Security Backdate.
Previous PDA's: Toshiba e740; Toshiba e755; Psion 3c; Psion 5; HP Jornada 680; HP Jornada 720; Palm Tungsten T3; Palm LifeDrive; Nokia E90 ; Gemini PDA

alien2003

• View Profile
V21 firmware
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2020, 09:13:29 am »
every time  I open the Cosmo after it has gone into sleep mode (closing cover) for a few minutes, I find that the system has either shut down or rebooted.

The same happens to me. But we have Astro Slide announced!

Isurus65

• View Profile
V21 firmware
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2020, 01:40:27 am »
Quote from: alien2003
every time  I open the Cosmo after it has gone into sleep mode (closing cover) for a few minutes, I find that the system has either shut down or rebooted.

The same happens to me. But we have Astro Slide announced!

I think twice bitten is enough. Anyway, my only reason for buying the Gemini and the Cosmo is the Psion5 -like form factor, and that's gone with the slide. Wish I could detach the keyboard from the Cosmo and just stick it on my Note 10+  ....
Previous PDA's: Toshiba e740; Toshiba e755; Psion 3c; Psion 5; HP Jornada 680; HP Jornada 720; Palm Tungsten T3; Palm LifeDrive; Nokia E90 ; Gemini PDA

Zarhan

• View Profile
V21 firmware
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2020, 02:19:55 am »
I think twice bitten is enough. Anyway, my only reason for buying the Gemini and the Cosmo is the Psion5 -like form factor, and that's gone with the slide. Wish I could detach the keyboard from the Cosmo and just stick it on my Note 10+  ....

For me it's the opposite. If I had known about Astroglide coming, I would have stuck with my N900 and skipped the Cosmo. The Astroglide is also slightly smaller, which is all the better.

However, the state of support and product lifecycle *does* concern me. I didn't read it until now but apparently Gemini's security updates (for Android 8 at least) have long since stopped. And the fact that Bluefrag *still* isn't patched for Cosmo is similar. I don't know about Android build process, but as long as you are not touching anything else, shouldn't security update rollouts be more or less automatic - just get update from Google and package the firmware.

Isurus65

• View Profile
V21 firmware
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2020, 04:01:23 am »
Quote from: Zarhan

For me it's the opposite. If I had known about Astroglide coming, I would have stuck with my N900 and skipped the Cosmo. The Astroglide is also slightly smaller, which is all the better.

However, the state of support and product lifecycle *does* concern me. I didn't read it until now but apparently Gemini's security updates (for Android 8 at least) have long since stopped. And the fact that Bluefrag *still* isn't patched for Cosmo is similar. I don't know about Android build process, but as long as you are not touching anything else, shouldn't security update rollouts be more or less automatic - just get update from Google and package the firmware.

I'm not a programmer, but one would think incorporating security updates shouldn't be rocket science. Stopping updates is one thing, but to pull the security level back to July 2019 is quite mind-boggling...

Hugo J

• View Profile
V21 firmware
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2020, 11:22:10 am »
Quote from: TomJ
Quote from: Rosie
I've just tried restarting, then turning off and back on; no joy.  Tapping the button in quick settings gets the tap acknowlegment but no colour change. In settings there's a Mobile data is off prompt; tapping turn on makes it disappear for a few seconds, when it returns.  I've emailled hello@planetcom.co.uk to ask about it; it would probably help if others with the same problem did the same.

Sorted now.  Switch the phone off, pop the SIM out, switch the phone on, switch the phone off, pop the SIM back in, switch the phone on.  Let your Cosmo pick up the settings from the 'new' SIM.

Rosie

Boom, sorted.  Many thanks Rosie.

Now to the second part of the puzzle, arguably more of my own making: having backed up to Google Drive via Settings - System - Backup, how do I restore?  The Cosmo's new startup procedure doesn't seem to have ask to restore a backup.

I'm in a precisely similar situation as Tom. Made the mistake of installing Cosmo firmware v20 and v21, backed all my Cosmo data up to Google Drive, and solved the Mobile Data issues using the above Rosie advice. Now facing a major hurdle: Cosmo has no "Restore" button (device specific) so my Cosmo is more or less bricked. This is apart from the missing Android security updates and the (very) buggy PC apps (both in my Gemini and Cosmo). Not mentioning a dead CoDi, buggy voice assistant, and LEDison.
The flashy introduction of the new Astro now seems in stark contrast to the lack in support (Cosmo) or even abandoning (Gemini) of earlier devices.
PC, pls address these justified comments.

cam1965

• View Profile
V21 firmware
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2020, 11:53:40 am »
Quote from: Hugo J
I've just tried restarting, then turning off and back on; no joy.  Tapping the button in quick settings gets the tap acknowlegment but no colour change. In settings there's a Mobile data is off prompt; tapping turn on makes it disappear for a few seconds, when it returns.  I've emailled hello@planetcom.co.uk to ask about it; it would probably help if others with the same problem did the same.

Sorted now.  Switch the phone off, pop the SIM out, switch the phone on, switch the phone off, pop the SIM back in, switch the phone on.  Let your Cosmo pick up the settings from the 'new' SIM.

Rosie

Now to the second part of the puzzle, arguably more of my own making: having backed up to Google Drive via Settings - System - Backup, how do I restore?  The Cosmo's new startup procedure doesn't seem to have ask to restore a backup.

I'm in a precisely similar situation as Tom. Made the mistake of installing Cosmo firmware v20 and v21, backed all my Cosmo data up to Google Drive, and solved the Mobile Data issues using the above Rosie advice. Now facing a major hurdle: Cosmo has no "Restore" button (device specific) so my Cosmo is more or less bricked. This is apart from the missing Android security updates and the (very) buggy PC apps (both in my Gemini and Cosmo). Not mentioning a dead CoDi, buggy voice assistant, and LEDison.
The flashy introduction of the new Astro now seems in stark contrast to the lack in support (Cosmo) or even abandoning (Gemini) of earlier devices.

You can use these images to restore to a v19 firmware:

https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?showto...35879&st=90

Post #97

Use full images.
As a guide reference please see:
https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?showto...35879&st=60
 Post #69 .

You can also flash lk2, scp2, sspm_2 and tee2. ( same as lk, scp, sspm and tee  ) and also preloader and recovery.

Hugo J

• View Profile
V21 firmware
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2020, 06:14:04 pm »
Quote from: cam1965

Rosie

Post #97

Use full images.
 Post #69 .

You can also flash lk2, scp2, sspm_2 and tee2. ( same as lk, scp, sspm and tee  ) and also preloader and recovery.

That doesn't bring back my Cosmo data ????

cam1965

• View Profile
V21 firmware
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2020, 08:29:31 pm »
Quote from: cam1965

Rosie

Post #97

Use full images.
 Post #69 .

That doesn't bring back my Cosmo data ????

This will restore the cosmo to the v19 firmware, not the data applications you have installed. It is the same as a factory reset, erasing all your data.
As when you turn on the cosmo for the first time when you bought it.
If you are not familiar with these procedures, I do not recommend this. This is for experienced users.
I did this and my android returned with the v19 firmware and it didn't affect my twrp that I have installed and it didn't affect my previous debian installation either.
Do it at your own risk.
Good luck.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 08:37:08 pm by cam1965 »

Kamikaze Comet

• View Profile
V21 firmware
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2020, 02:13:10 am »
Quote from: PNuT
Quote from: Kamikaze Comet
Quote from: PNuT
I have mobile data on both my sims....

wifi was a bit iffy after I reset it.

cannot seem to get auto rotate to work at all now though....

Wait, this phone actually should have auto rotate? I have never made it work. I thought it doesn't have this feature.

Yes, I  found out why it wasn't working! it has two different settings for it.

1 display- advanced-auto rotate screen

2 app bar-planet-app bar-settings(next to selectable apps)-uncheck force

& hey presto

OH! MY! GOD! It worked!!!!

cge

• View Profile
V21 firmware
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2020, 04:52:00 pm »
Are these firmware updates coming from the OTA update system, or are people installing them manually from somewhere?  I haven't seen any available OTA updates on my device since V19.

Vistaus

• View Profile
V21 firmware
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2020, 06:14:47 pm »
Quote from: cge
Are these firmware updates coming from the OTA update system, or are people installing them manually from somewhere?  I haven't seen any available OTA updates on my device since V19.

V20 was pushed via OTA, but was retracted because some people reported issues. They then issued V21, but you have to install that one manually, which will wipe your device.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 06:15:23 pm by Vistaus »

MonkeyControl

• View Profile
V21 firmware
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2020, 08:33:32 pm »
Quote from: Vistaus
Quote from: cge

V20 was pushed via OTA, but was retracted because some people reported issues. They then issued V21, but you have to install that one manually, which will wipe your device.
Link to manual update procedure on Planet website:  
http://support.planetcom.co.uk/index.php/FotaUpdate_v20
Taken from indiegogo update No51:  
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/cosmo-co...or#/updates/all