Author Topic: Does QTopia\'s E-mail program work with Exchange (Outlook)?  (Read 2990 times)

TonyOlsen

• View Profile
    • http://www.userdimensions.com/Tony/Resume.html
Does QTopia\'s E-mail program work with Exchange (Outlook) e-mail Servers?  If so how?

If not... is there a Zaurus e-mail prgram that DOES work with Exchange/Outlook?

(I mentioned this before on another thread, but it was sort-of a side-note to the main subject)

Thanks,
Tony Olsen
Ferris@Myself.Com
Resume
Zaurus SL-C860 QTopia
2 GB Static CF
1 GB MMC (although it isn't working yet)
My Quest: To get an x86 emulator working on my Zaurus and to have my Zaurus replace my laptop as my MAIN computer
Publically available Videos for the default Zaurus SL-C860 video player

TonyOlsen

• View Profile
Does QTopia\'s E-mail program work with Exchange (Outlook)?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2004, 06:01:43 pm »
By the way.. I\'m NOT talking about \"syncing\" with a desktop... I\'m talking about downloading Exchange/Outlook e-mail right into my Zaurus (without the Desktop  ).
Tony Olsen
Ferris@Myself.Com
Resume
Zaurus SL-C860 QTopia
2 GB Static CF
My Quest: To get an x86 emulator working on my Zaurus and to have my Zaurus replace my laptop as my MAIN computer

Violator

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2004, 07:05:08 pm »
Hi,
You can set Exchange Server to act as a pop3 server and use the default email client in Zaurus. Otherwise you can use Outlook Web Access by browsing with Opera to (Servername/IPAddress)exchange
The Web Access is part of Exchange 2000/2003 but may not be installed/enabled on your server.

TonyOlsen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2004, 07:40:16 pm »
hm... I don\'t have any controll over our Exchange server settings, but I\'ll give that a try.

So... there aren\'t any open source e-mail programs that support Microsoft\'s Exchange protocols?
Tony Olsen
Ferris@Myself.Com
Resume
Zaurus SL-C860 QTopia
2 GB Static CF

Stubear

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2004, 08:59:13 pm »
hm... I don\'t have any controll over our Exchange server settings, but I\'ll give that a try.

So... there aren\'t any open source e-mail programs that support Microsoft\'s Exchange protocols?

Ximian Evolution is the only app that I\'m aware of that can connect directly to Exchange - even then you need a special plugin.

Now that Novel has GPLed the Exchange connector we may see more email clients supporting exchange - but I hope not exchange sucks and is a horror to administer.

Stu
SL-C1000, Hand converted to English with Japanese Input
Running X apps via X/Qt
iRiver USB host cable; Diatec P-Cord usb power cable (extendable); Acro's Reel Cable USB (A to A, B, Mini-B,  & Mini-B 8pin); GreenHouse 1Gb PicoDrive+; 2x256Mb Hagiwara SD cards; 128Mb Transcend CF card; 512Mb PQI CF card; AmbiCom WL1100C-CF 11B WLAN card

TonyOlsen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2004, 09:07:27 am »
exchange sucks and is a horror to administer.  

I agree!  This is my work e-mail, so I don\'t have any say in the matter.

ow that Novel has GPLed the Exchange connector we may see more email clients supporting exchange

That would be great, since I can imagine many (or even \"most\") of the Zaurus owners have exchange at their Microsoft-centric workplace.  Hopefully this will change in the future, but for the time being it would be great to get work e-mail on the Zaurus.
Tony Olsen
Ferris@Myself.Com
Resume
Zaurus SL-C860 QTopia
2 GB Static CF

grey_moon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2004, 09:21:27 am »
I use imap to check my exchange mail then i can leave my mail on the server and not take up precious resources...
SL_5600 with Sharp ROM 1.32 - Windows XP Pro
AmbiCom 802.11b CF WL1100C, Pretec CompactBT Bluetooth CF, Hagiwara 256MB SD Card
Expansys Black Chairmans Case, ShirtPocket Battery Extender, ShirtPocket Retractable USB Sync/Charger

TonyOlsen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2004, 11:13:54 am »
\"IMAP\"?  Haven\'t heard of that application before.  I\'ll look it up...
Tony Olsen
Ferris@Myself.Com
Resume
Zaurus SL-C860 QTopia
2 GB Static CF

grey_moon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2004, 02:29:05 pm »
imap is a protocol like pop3
the standard mail proggy with sharp 1.32 supports it, im guess the rest do too...
AmbiCom 802.11b CF WL1100C, Pretec CompactBT Bluetooth CF, Hagiwara 256MB SD Card
Expansys Black Chairmans Case, ShirtPocket Battery Extender, ShirtPocket Retractable USB Sync/Charger

nevarrie

• View Profile
    • http://www.thegrantclan.org
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2004, 02:47:44 pm »
I uses mutt and pine to check my email here are work.  Exchange is just an IMAP/LDAP setup.  The main thing you lose is the access to calender system if you connect using IMAP.  Folders adn email work just fine through IMAP.  I have nto figure out how I will check e-mail though my 6k yet, though as I understand the mail client that comes with the 6k has imap as an option so I think I will try that first.   And I know my work uses webmail so I can always just access my mail though Opera...I should be able to give instructions after I start using my Z when I get home tonight(My 6k come today)...Checking mail is going to be one of the main things I will need to uses my Z for...
Jeremy "Nevarrie" Grant
SL-6000L
OpenZaurus 3.5.4.1 GPE(2.6 kernel)|GrantRom 0.01(e-image clone)
Targus IR Keyborad

grey_moon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2004, 02:58:27 am »
yeah calendaring is a bit of a pain, but i use intellisync and the standard calendar to keep that and my tasks up to date... if someone updates my caldendar out of hours and don\'t send me a mail warning then they\'ll just have to wait till i get home (OWA) or till the next day for me to deal with it..  btw i wanted open exchange, but the powers that be wanted something that they could pay lots of money for (i don\'t understand business people i thought the less u spend for the same facilities the better the model... most of them kept bringing up tco like a mantra, but had no idea wha tthe cost of either system would be, i hate dealing with it managers armed with tit bits of knowlegde from a sales brochure, lots of abbreviations and acronyms)

grey_moon

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2004, 03:00:20 am »
btw i have lots of trouble accessing owa in opera 6 as i cant access the far right window

jimg_uk2000

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2004, 03:40:17 pm »
Did you manage to get Opera working with OWA?
Everytime I try to get to OWA the right frame just shows 'Loading'.
BTW I use Opera 7.30