Author Topic: USB Adaptor & Cables  (Read 90195 times)

BarryW

• View Profile
    • http://
USB Adaptor & Cables
« Reply #120 on: December 30, 2004, 01:32:57 am »
I think I found a better adapter.  No cable at all!  Picked it up tonight at Fred Meyers but found it on the web here.
What's this button do??

C3100
Distro changes almost weekly...

C3200
Distro also changes almost weekly...  :)

Hardware hacks and stuff.

BarryW

• View Profile
USB Adaptor & Cables
« Reply #121 on: December 30, 2004, 01:33:47 am »
Another pic.
What's this button do??

C3100

C3200

saakmotu

• View Profile
    • http://www.bpang.com
USB Adaptor & Cables
« Reply #122 on: December 30, 2004, 10:01:47 am »
nice and compact... good find

did you have to buy the whole kit? (I know you said Fred Meyer, but the link is to a universal kit from JandR)

I sorta like the short bit of cable on the iRiver for the same reason I like the 2.5->3.5 adapter from Seidio..  to mitigate extra stress on the port.

That said, I might still be interested in getting one if one can just buy the single adapter and not the whole kit.
bricked(?) sl5000d
sl5500 tkcROM
sl5600
sl6000-L
Many sd/cf memory cards
Linksys wcf12 CF WiFi - Dlink CF Wifi - Xircom CompactCard Ethernet 10
Sharp CF Camera
SerialI/O usb cable - iRiver PMP USB Host Adapter Cable

mimsmall

• View Profile
USB Adaptor & Cables
« Reply #123 on: December 30, 2004, 12:34:05 pm »
I've been reading the various posts concerning the USB connector on the 6000L. HDs, keyboards etc.

So, if we are using the USB port on the bottom of the 6000L, the Zaurus is the host and any client hardware can be plugged in, correct?

And IF the drivers are available and installed we should expect everything to work.

This is wishful thinking.

BarryW

• View Profile
USB Adaptor & Cables
« Reply #124 on: December 30, 2004, 02:35:08 pm »
Have to get the whole kit.  I've never been able to find the adapter by itself.
What's this button do??

C3100

C3200

mpers3

• View Profile
USB Adaptor & Cables
« Reply #125 on: December 30, 2004, 03:31:22 pm »
Ok, I hope that someone can help me out here.  I have an Archos Arcdisk and an Archos AV340.  I have been able to successfully connect and use the AV340 and various USB thumbdrives as external HDs for the Zaurus via the USB host and cable from iRiver.  But for some reason I can't get the ARCDISK connected.

Here is the process:

1.  Go to terminal and login as SU
2.  mount /dev/sda1 /usr/mnt.rom/usbstorage

And I get:

Mounting /dev/sda1 on /usr/mnt.rom/usbstorage failed: No such device or address

This command worked for the AV340 and the USB drives.  I can also go to system info and it lists ARCDISK USB2.0 under USB devices.  When I reboot and disconnect the ARCDISK it doesn't show, so there is some kind of comm happening.  Any ideas?

I am fairly new to Linux.  I am learing.  As soon as I get comfortable with on the Z I will most likey go to it on my desktop as well.  I would also appreciate any help on getting these USB devices to automount if possible.  I think that I understand that it takes editing fstab, but not really sure how to do it.  I know vi is an editor I can use, where can I get help on using vi?  Or are there others that are better/easier?

Oh, one more thing, I have tried the ARCDISK with and without external power.  I also verified that it is fine by connecting to 2 different PCs, one running 2K and the other XP.  Both recognzed and used the ARCDISK no problem.

soundwave106

• View Profile
USB Adaptor & Cables
« Reply #126 on: December 30, 2004, 03:59:22 pm »
The only thing I've used with the USB port so far is hard drives. It works with a mount / unmount command very well. I hear many USB keyboards work very nicely too.

Others -- well, it's a driver thing. USB mice need work, from what I hear.

bgsfh

• View Profile
USB Adaptor & Cables
« Reply #127 on: December 30, 2004, 04:17:12 pm »
BarryW - I found that same part in a smaller adapter kit from G.E. that I got at a closeout store in Pennsylvania.  If you look around enough, you would be amazed at what you can find.  

mpers3 - Here is the url of a page of vi commands that I find very helpfull.  

http://www.chem.brown.edu/instructions/vi.html
Klaatu, Barada, nuuuuu.   necktie? nocturne? neptune?     Definitly an N word . . . .

SL-6000L stock rom,
Lexar 1GB SD, Hitichi 4GB Microdrive, Expansion sled,
Targus IR keyboard, Archos AV 340 w camcorder
SL-5500 cacko 0/64 rom, and a bunch of stuff I haven't
touched since I got the 6k

kmeaw

• View Profile
USB Adaptor & Cables
« Reply #128 on: January 03, 2005, 01:03:07 pm »
Qtopia does not support USB mice, it works only with touchscreen. Use X11-based ROM instead.

nilch

• View Profile
USB Adaptor & Cables
« Reply #129 on: January 03, 2005, 01:47:39 pm »
Does the USB cable from Sharp ('part CE-UC1) work with the 6000L ?

The cable seems to connect to the port on the bottom side of the 6000L if inserted face down, but when I do connect the 6000L to my windows XP box, the new hardware popup does not come on and windows doesnt detect the 6000L at all.

My C750 did work though with the same box and same cable.

I just want to enable VNC between XP and 6000L.
New no more-C1000 / 5000D (sold my 6000 and 750) | Cacko ROM 1.23 on C1000 | 256 MB CF | 2GB PNY SD card | Socket Networker WiFi CF Card | USB Host cable from StreamlineCPUS | Mini Microphone (for voice recording) |

gdog

• View Profile
USB Adaptor & Cables
« Reply #130 on: January 03, 2005, 07:55:07 pm »
I got my connector from iRiver for my iHP120. Strangely enough it does not fit into my iHP120, but it does fit nicely into my 6K. I've connected a USB keyboard, without rebooting and it does work though some of the keys are either wrong or do not produce anything at all.

But I was wrong about the configuration of the connector itself. It does not contain separate pins that plug into the inner, female connector on either my 6K or my iRiver. Rather it is an edge connector that slides under the edge connector of the mini A port on my 6K.

But I guess the important thing is that I can now use the 6K as a USB host, providing of course I have a need to connect something to it. I'm hoping to find a keyboard that works correctly for all keys, without having to do a reboot of the Zaurus each time I connect it.

Think I'll try my USB compact flash adapter when I get home and see if I can mount a card that way.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2005, 07:57:24 pm by gdog »
You can tell a lot about a man by the condition of his shoes

orac

• View Profile
USB Adaptor & Cables
« Reply #131 on: January 03, 2005, 11:16:03 pm »
The port on the bottom is for USB host mode only.  As far as I know, USB networking is available through the cradle only. I just bridged my ethernet card and SL6000 together and made sure that the USB device was set up for DHCP.

nilch

• View Profile
USB Adaptor & Cables
« Reply #132 on: January 13, 2005, 02:19:41 pm »
How does one connect the Zaurus 6000 to the WinXP desktop for file tranfer/VNC etc ?

I dont want to use the HUGE cradle that comes with it. What other third party cable do work with the 6000 i/o PORT at the bottom ?
Even though the I/O port at the bottom looks the same  as the I/O port on the C750 (excepting its faced downward), the USB Cable for C750 "CE-UC1" does not seem to work with the 6000L.

My desktop just doesnt detect a new hardware connected when I plug in the 6000L with the C750 cable.

Does SerialIO have any cables (small and sleek with keyboard usable that they are stil selling for the 6000l) ?

Thanx for any pointers
New no more-C1000 / 5000D (sold my 6000 and 750) | Cacko ROM 1.23 on C1000 | 256 MB CF | 2GB PNY SD card | Socket Networker WiFi CF Card | USB Host cable from StreamlineCPUS | Mini Microphone (for voice recording) |

soundwave106

• View Profile
USB Adaptor & Cables
« Reply #133 on: January 13, 2005, 03:26:49 pm »
There are a few options available that I know of.

1) Use the built-in wi-fi to connect.
2) Get a TCP/IP CF Ethernet card + twisted pair cable and use that to connect
3) Obtain the ZThinCable USB (Link) for serial port -> USB transfer.

Normally I use standard TCP/IP (wi-fi or ethernet) methods.

nilch

• View Profile
USB Adaptor & Cables
« Reply #134 on: January 13, 2005, 05:04:17 pm »
Thanks Soundwave...

Too bad Sharp went and changed the I/O port on the C750 and the 6000L otherwise I guess the C7xxx series USB cable (I have the part as CE-UC1) would have worked directly.

I want to connect to the office machine, so Wifi is out and Ethernet is not an option because of security, so that leaves me with the cradle or some thirdparty cable as you linked.

As a side note :  Is there any adapter between the USB cable end which plugs into the Cradle to the USB receiver end at the bottom of the Zaurus ?

Damn - sorry but thats a USB host, forgot...so that wont work either.
I guess somewhere I read that the Serial cable for the earler Zaurus would work on the 6000 with the side holder clips sawed off. Is that right ?