Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rom In C3100?
GadgetGuy
post Sep 9 2005, 06:16 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,977

Hello all,

On the OpenBSD forum somebody wrote, that it is close to impossible to really brick the C3100, as the emergency bootloader/service menu is in small (true) ROM, and therefore cannot be removed / flashed over.

This would be quite encouraging, since I would not need to worry about risking my C3100 when I try to flash an alternative OS.

The question obviously is: can somebody else confirm this?

Thanks,

Miklos
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
obscurite
post Sep 9 2005, 01:10 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 4,882

As long as you don't overwrite the rom with a NAND restore you can always reset your c3100 and boot into linux single user mode (b + d held down until login prompt comes up). To reset, remove power + battery for 60 seconds (maybe less, but 60 seconds works for me).

I had to do this myself several times during the OpenBSD install, and when my CF card caused the OpenBSD booter to not work (due to the linux boot process, supposedly).

You are safe... worst comes to worst you can always get into single user mode. Of course, if you run the OpenBSD installer, you will lose the contents of your hard drive, but if you don't care about that (don't need the japanese applications), then go ahead. There are replacements available to restore your c3100, but obviously not all applications will be restored.

+Quote Post
martinbogo
post Sep 9 2005, 10:05 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 7,930

Before you get lulled into a false sense of security... you CAN brick the unit if you accidentally use the NAND ERASE function of the service menu.

NAND ERASE == BAAAAAAD

That said, only an attempt at a NAND restore would ever get you into that situation. (With the whole <D><M> boot procedure and all)

-Martin

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd December 2014 - 03:26 PM