Author Topic: Zubuntu 1.0 Rc1  (Read 95688 times)

cortez

• View Profile
    • http://www.omegamoon.com
Zubuntu 1.0 Rc1
« Reply #90 on: January 02, 2009, 03:39:31 pm »
Quote from: Wildherb
[code]#dmesg |tail
snd: version magic '2.6.26-omegamoon preempt mod_unload ARMv5 ' should be '2.6.26-omegamoon-akita preempt mod_unload ARMv5'
It looks like you're using the older kernel. Please update it with the latest version (/boot/zImage). Don't forget to reboot afterwards  
[div align=\"center\"]== == == == == == == == == == == == == ==
www.omegamoon.com
Zaurus SL-C750 - Died in a dreadful coffee experiment, has a second life somewhere in the Czech Republic
Zaurus SL-C1000 - Multiboot Zubuntu, Debian, Fedora, Poky, Android and others
Zaurus SL-C3100 - Development device, currently Zubuntu 2.0
Zaurus SL-6000L - The fridge is running Zubuntu 1.0
Zaurus SL-C860 - Cacko, untouched since kindly donated, waiting for Zubuntu
== == == == == == == == == == == == == ==[/div]

Wildherb

• View Profile
Zubuntu 1.0 Rc1
« Reply #91 on: January 02, 2009, 04:00:17 pm »
Quote from: cortez
Quote from: Wildherb
[code]#dmesg |tail
snd: version magic '2.6.26-omegamoon preempt mod_unload ARMv5 ' should be '2.6.26-omegamoon-akita preempt mod_unload ARMv5'
It looks like you're using the older kernel. Please update it with the latest version (/boot/zImage). Don't forget to reboot afterwards  

OK, thanks, I'll do a completely fresh install with all the latest files and make sure my card is Ext2 at the same time. Will report back later this evening...
C3000 running OpenBSD 4.4
C3100 running OpenZaurus

Jon_J

• View Profile
    • http://
Zubuntu 1.0 Rc1
« Reply #92 on: January 02, 2009, 04:48:50 pm »
Quote from: Jon_J
1. before I input "root", I get:
Zubuntu login: Can't open display :0
Replace /etc/zaurusd/scripts/zaurus-hinge with the file attached to resolve this (rename the file to zaurus-hinge, so remove the .txt extension)

2. Then once I "startx", I get this error in a popup dialog on the desktop: (It takes awhile for this error to appear)
Unable to establish connection with FAM. Do you have "FAM" or "Gamin" installed and running?
I see this occasionally, but exit and restart of X11 resolves this.

Unrelated to the above, I noticed since I used the latest spitz upgrade, I have two module directories.
/lib/modules/2.6.26-omegamoon
and
/lib/modules/2.6.26-omegamoon-spitz
Please remove the /lib/modules/2.6.26-omegamoon directory. These are the modules from the previous kernel.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
I renamed /etc/zaurusd/scripts/zaurus-hinge to zaurus-hinge.bak and replaced it with the one attached here and rebooted.
I now get this error:
"selected device is not a touchscreen i understand"
My touchscreen works as it did before. I don't have right click with the stylus, and my USB mouse is reversed. The USB mouse acts like it is in portrait mode. I'm not sure if these two things are related, as most people don't use an externel mouse. I just have been using it to access right and middle clicks.

I didn't get this error this time: "Unable to establish connection with FAM. Do you have "FAM" or "Gamin" installed and running?"

I removed /lib/modules/2.6.26-omegamoon directory.

One other thing which has been mentioned here: tskeys consumes 89% and up to 92% of CPU according to "top"
When first booting, I launch the console (which takes awhile) and use "top" to kill it. Once its killed response is greatly improved.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 05:03:41 pm by Jon_J »
C3100 Multiboot-->Angstrom 2007.12-r18 | Cacko 1.23 | ArchLinuxARM
C3200 pdaxii13v2-5.5-alpha4 Akita on NAND

Ambicom WL1100C-CF Wifi - Ambicom CF modem - Ambicom CF GPS - Belkin-F5D5050 USB LAN
Socket CF Bluetooth rev K - Iogear 4 port USB micro hub - pocket CF card reader
Targus mini USB optical mouse - 2 Targus SD card readers

canguy247

• View Profile
Zubuntu 1.0 Rc1
« Reply #93 on: January 02, 2009, 05:17:03 pm »
The USB mouse acts like it is in portrait mode. I'm not sure if these two things are related, as most people don't use an externel mouse.

This is because of the x server version we are using.  Unfortunately there is no way to fix it without recompiling either the mouse driver or x server.

One other thing which has been mentioned here: tskeys consumes 89% and up to 92% of CPU according to "top"
When first booting, I launch the console (which takes awhile) and use "top" to kill it. Once its killed response is greatly improved.

Kill tskeys (using top if you want, or just "killall tskeys") before you type startx.  will save you loads of time.
SL-C1000 - Debian 2.6.24.4-yonggun (from SD)
Pandora preordered
4GB Transcend 150X SD
16GB AData CF
USB Host cable
Bluetooth USB Dongle/Linksys WCF12 CF Wifi
TRENDnet TE-CF100 10/100 Wired ethernet CF / DM9601 usb ethernet
Palm III keyboard neoprene case

Jon_J

• View Profile
Zubuntu 1.0 Rc1
« Reply #94 on: January 02, 2009, 05:24:12 pm »
Quote from: canguy247
The USB mouse acts like it is in portrait mode. I'm not sure if these two things are related, as most people don't use an externel mouse.

This is because of the x server version we are using.  Unfortunately there is no way to fix it without recompiling either the mouse driver or x server.

Kill tskeys (using top if you want, or just "killall tskeys") before you type startx.  will save you loads of time.
Thank you for this solution.  I'll do this before typing startx.

Ambicom WL1100C-CF Wifi - Ambicom CF modem - Ambicom CF GPS - Belkin-F5D5050 USB LAN

cortez

• View Profile
Zubuntu 1.0 Rc1
« Reply #95 on: January 02, 2009, 05:28:35 pm »
tskeys is responsible for the "selected device is not a touchscreen i understand". It tries to use the device used for the offscreen keys (home, mail, contacts etc) which is configured for Akita on default (sorry, my fault). Try to delete the files /etc/zaurusd/mach-config-funcs and /etc/zaurusd/mach-config-vars and reboot. With a bit of luck the message is gone  
www.omegamoon.com
Zaurus SL-C750 - Died in a dreadful coffee experiment, has a second life somewhere in the Czech Republic

Capn_Fish

• View Profile
Zubuntu 1.0 Rc1
« Reply #96 on: January 02, 2009, 06:40:17 pm »
I just got to install Zubuntu (It's booting now), and have my usual question:

What kernel patches have been applied?

Other stuff:
-The MD5SUM of the Kexec kernel listed on the main page is incorrect (at least for Spitz). The one in the actual download dir is correct, however.
-Is there a way to change the "theme" of the kexec menu? I'm guessing that would take a kernel recompile, but I thought I'd ask.
-Thanks for all of your work! This is really cool!
SL-C750- pdaXrom beta 1 (mostly unused)
Current distro: Gentoo

cortez

• View Profile
Zubuntu 1.0 Rc1
« Reply #97 on: January 02, 2009, 06:53:57 pm »
Quote from: Capn_Fish
I just got to install Zubuntu (It's booting now), and have my usual question:

What kernel patches have been applied?

Other stuff:
-The MD5SUM of the Kexec kernel listed on the main page is incorrect (at least for Spitz). The one in the actual download dir is correct, however.
-Is there a way to change the "theme" of the kexec menu? I'm guessing that would take a kernel recompile, but I thought I'd ask.
-Thanks for all of your work! This is really cool!

- Kernel patches from poky repository + Android 1.0 patches
- MD5s are corrected, sorry, very sloppy!
- Theming the kexec menu would mean rebuilding indeed. But there are lots of ideas for making the bootmenu even more advanced, so maybe a little theming could be done

Glad you like it!

Cheers,
cortez
www.omegamoon.com

pasteur

• View Profile
Zubuntu 1.0 Rc1
« Reply #98 on: January 02, 2009, 07:12:28 pm »
Quote from: pasteur
Unfortunately, It seems to can't recognize CF devices like wireless lan card and CF memory.
After inserting CF memory card, I typed 'cd /dev' and 'ls'. I looked for device hdx but I couldn't find one.
Have you tried running modprobe pxa2xx_cs?
Loading this kernel module should get your CF cards working. Add pxa2xx_cs to the file /etc/modules to automatically load this module on next reboot.

Thanks! I'll try it.
c1000 with debian eabi

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Zubuntu 1.0 Rc1
« Reply #99 on: January 02, 2009, 07:25:01 pm »
woohoo, I am up and running. I am using the microdrive on my C3100, to get the multi-boot I had to do this:

1/ put the zubuntu kernel, rootfs desktop tar.gz on the card (calling it android-root.tar.gz), along with the android updater.sh and gnu-tar; booted the OK menu and did the install from scratch, flashing the kernel, wiping the disk and unpacking the tar.gz
2/ replaced the rootfs tar gz with the spitz spitz-root-addition.tar.gz, replaced the zImage with the multiboot zImage, went through OK update, flashed kernel, didn't format disk, did the unpack

now when it powers up it asks me what to boot, it finds the microdrive rootfs, boots and runs!

CF ethernet worked as before, as did wifi (hostap was default, hooray!). I still have the same old dhcp problem as with the previous release :-(
Code: [Select]
wifi0: unknown hardware address type 801
Can't create addrlist socket
so I've used a static IP.

WEP works fine needing only entries in interfaces file; haven't tried WPA yet but I imagine it will work OK.

Speed seems much much better!

--edit--
screen orientation was already landscape.
no ssh/sshd, installed dropbear, worked first time
created a swapfile as before, added entry to /etc/fstab so it'll start one up at boot

--edit2--
I put, in the interfaces file,
Code: [Select]
    pre-up /sbin/pccardctl resume 1
    pre-up /bin/sleep 2
    post-down /sbin/pccardctl suspend 1
and it now automagically saves power when wlan is idle.

--edit3--
When I tried "apt-get install kismet" it downloaded stuff, but errored with dpkg: dpkg - error: PATH is not set. Ahah, had to do "export PATH", so I think there's something wrong in the /etc/profiles or something when it sets PATH. Noticed that kismet_ui.conf had the default sound player, installed "bplay" and changed config thus soundplay=/usr/bin/bplay. Sound doesn't appear to work, alsamixer looks OK, sound not muted.
Hmm, mplayer isn't in the repository, although other packages refer to it :-(
Audacious, preinstalled, appears to play an mp3, but I don't hear anything.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 08:30:58 pm by speculatrix »
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

Capn_Fish

• View Profile
Zubuntu 1.0 Rc1
« Reply #100 on: January 02, 2009, 09:03:27 pm »
My initial thoughts/observations:
-dhclient is broken (same problem others have expressed)
-Orinoco/hermes is modprobed by default (I think there's something that can be done with making a list of card IDs or something similar)
-There appear to be some extra Python packages installed, probably left over from WICD's removal

Capn_Fish

• View Profile
Zubuntu 1.0 Rc1
« Reply #101 on: January 02, 2009, 09:33:46 pm »
Does anybody know how to rebuild the X server (I gather it's in the Xorg sources, but I suspect there's more to it than just "--enable-kdrive")?

I'd like to rebuild it with the XKEYBOARD extension.

Thanks.

Jon_J

• View Profile
Zubuntu 1.0 Rc1
« Reply #102 on: January 02, 2009, 11:00:14 pm »
tskeys is responsible for the "selected device is not a touchscreen i understand". It tries to use the device used for the offscreen keys (home, mail, contacts etc) which is configured for Akita on default (sorry, my fault). Try to delete the files /etc/zaurusd/mach-config-funcs and /etc/zaurusd/mach-config-vars and reboot. With a bit of luck the message is gone  
I deleted both files and I still get the error message upon reboot. It doesn't seem to effect performance, I still need to kill tskeys to get "snappy" performance in the window manager.
I looked in /etc/zaurusd/ and these two files have been re-created.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 11:00:35 pm by Jon_J »

pasteur

• View Profile
Zubuntu 1.0 Rc1
« Reply #103 on: January 03, 2009, 04:29:30 am »
Now CF slot is working. ^^ But my wireless lan(I heard that it uses prism chip) doesn't work yet.

Here is the result of typing "pccardctl info"

PROID_1="IPOne"
PROID_2="AirGate2000C"
PROID_3="Verstion 01.02"
PROID_4=""
MANFID=0713,0002
PROID=6
c1000 with debian eabi

Capn_Fish

• View Profile
Zubuntu 1.0 Rc1
« Reply #104 on: January 03, 2009, 08:41:02 am »
I deleted both files and I still get the error message upon reboot. It doesn't seem to effect performance, I still need to kill tskeys to get "snappy" performance in the window manager.
I looked in /etc/zaurusd/ and these two files have been re-created.
Try commenting out the lines for tskeys in /etc/init.d/zaurusd