Author Topic: Camera  (Read 46671 times)

cam1965

• View Profile
    • http://
Re: Camera
« Reply #60 on: August 29, 2020, 09:47:57 am »
Hi. I have installed this apk. But when I took a photo app closes. Please see the error attached.
Please could you help me ? thanks

shuntcap

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2020, 08:30:11 pm »
Hi. I have installed this apk. But when I took a photo app closes. Please see the error attached.

You need to disable the "motion photo" feature before you attempt to take a photograph.  Tap the > icon to the left of the preview image.  Look for "MOTION Auto" and tap the left option to disable motion photos.  I also disabled face retouching at the top of the option list.

Second, you must allow the app to autofocus for you.  If you tap to focus, the app will crash.

Third, this app is really only useful if you plan to process RAW (.dng) photos.  You'll need to enable an option to save in RAW+JPEG.  In the same pop-up menu that you activated by tapping the > icon, tap the gear icon in the lower right.  This will bring you to the Settings menu.  Under Advanced, enable RAW+JPEG control.  By default, the RAW folder is /sdcard/Pictures/Raw/.  You will need to transfer files from this folder onto your computer to process the RAW photos, unless you prefer to run an editor directly on the Cosmo.  I'd recommend a computer with a large monitor, though.

Video doesn't record and timelapse crashes, but photosphere works.  The colors are the usual MediaTek-induced mud, but better than nothing if photosphere is important to you.

Zarhan

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2020, 06:13:13 am »
Is there any easy way to make this "flow" automatic? Perhaps with a termux script? I would like to (semi)automatically convert these to JPG, because doing touchups when the photos are still raw are quite rare requirement for me (e.g. situations where white balance is ridicilously off).

I like OpenCamera's UI and configurability...

cam1965

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2020, 06:18:14 am »

You need to disable the "motion photo" feature before you attempt to take a photograph.  Tap the > icon to the left of the preview image.  Look for "MOTION Auto" and tap the left option to disable motion photos.  I also disabled face retouching at the top of the option list.

Second, you must allow the app to autofocus for you.  If you tap to focus, the app will crash.

Third, this app is really only useful if you plan to process RAW (.dng) photos.  You'll need to enable an option to save in RAW+JPEG.  In the same pop-up menu that you activated by tapping the > icon, tap the gear icon in the lower right.  This will bring you to the Settings menu.  Under Advanced, enable RAW+JPEG control.  By default, the RAW folder is /sdcard/Pictures/Raw/.  You will need to transfer files from this folder onto your computer to process the RAW photos, unless you prefer to run an editor directly on the Cosmo.  I'd recommend a computer with a large monitor, though.

Video doesn't record and timelapse crashes, but photosphere works.  The colors are the usual MediaTek-induced mud, but better than nothing if photosphere is important to you.

Hi. It worked. Thank you so much !

Vistaus

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2020, 03:43:24 pm »
Thanks for this great find! It works great, except that the image taken has a huge black area around it. Is there a way to eliminate that without cropping?

shuntcap

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2020, 04:21:30 pm »
Thanks for this great find! It works great, except that the image taken has a huge black area around it. Is there a way to eliminate that without cropping?

I'm working on it.  My end goal is to either mod F1MinimalMod2.1.apk (again, as it's already a modded version of Google Camera) or patch OpenCamera to properly save RAW and use a software JPEG codec instead of MediaTek's muddy filth.  I can't make any promises, but I'm working on it!

Note again that the huge black area is because the sensor is only a 6MP sensor, not the advertised lie of 24MP.  The 24MP is merely software scaled with no addition of detail... and worse, MediaTek's JPEG encoder causes a significant reduction in detail and color, as we've seen in my RAW comparisons.  But I'll let it slide because the 6MP sensor really is quite good!

shuntcap

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 01, 2020, 09:12:35 pm »
Is there any easy way to make this "flow" automatic? Perhaps with a termux script? I would like to (semi)automatically convert these to JPG, because doing touchups when the photos are still raw are quite rare requirement for me (e.g. situations where white balance is ridicilously off).

I like OpenCamera's UI and configurability...

I have compiled ufraw-batch for Termux.  It is a program to convert RAW images to other image formats, including JPEG.  Get it below and save it somewhere under /data/data/com.termux/files/home:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/98hadotbylzv20a/ufraw-batch.bz2?dl=1
[Local copy of it /Varti]

Give storage permissions to Termux in order to access /sdcard (where RAW images are stored):  Hit Fn+Del to go to Settings, Apps & notifications, find Termux, Permissions, enable Storage.

Start Termux.  You'll need to install some additional libraries:
Code: [Select]
apt install libexiv2 libtiff libpng libjpeg-turbo bzip2
Decompress ufraw-batch:
bunzip ufraw-batch.bz2
To convert a single RAW image (including cropping out the blackness), do this (and change the image filename, of course):
./ufraw-batch --out-type=jpg --crop-right=2816 --crop-bottom=2108 --exposure=2 /sdcard/Pictures/Raw/IMG_YYYYMMDD_HHMMSS.dng
And, as the name implies, you can also batch convert multiple images:
./ufraw-batch --out-type=jpg --crop-right=2816 --crop-bottom=2108 --exposure=2 /sdcard/Pictures/Raw/*.dng
You can play around with the exposure and other options: look at the output from ./ufraw-batch --help
If you find some combination of settings that works well across all images, please share it with us!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 03:30:10 am by Varti »

rachid

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 02, 2020, 09:00:17 am »
wow! Thanks, thanks and thanks!

How did you found that gcamports? I tried about 20 Ports and every one of them crashed. I tried the port from mediatek phones and some other...

shuntcap

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 02, 2020, 04:41:00 pm »
wow! Thanks, thanks and thanks!

How did you found that gcamports? I tried about 20 Ports and every one of them crashed. I tried the port from mediatek phones and some other...

Probably the same way you found them, except I tried 31 of them! https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/

I had read that the F1MinimalMod port worked on the F(x)tec Pro1 (does anyone here have one?), so I actually started with those, but tried a pile more (most of which crashed, refused to install, or had no picture).

spook

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 04, 2020, 12:50:56 am »
Wow. The difference in the detail is quite impressive. I just took a quick snap of my crumpled bedsheets:

Stock: https://imgur.com/a/HFs3H2X

RAW: https://imgur.com/a/VWGZySu

ianisthewalrus

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 07, 2020, 12:20:17 pm »
Ive tried the app, but it just crashes over and over. What settings are you all using? What rev are you running on?

cam1965

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 07, 2020, 12:30:19 pm »
Please see these recomendations from Shuntcap:
" You need to disable the "motion photo" feature before you attempt to take a photograph.  Tap the > icon to the left of the preview image.  Look for "MOTION Auto" and tap the left option to disable motion photos.  I also disabled face retouching at the top of the option list.

Video doesn't record and timelapse crashes, but photosphere works.  The colors are the usual MediaTek-induced mud, but better than nothing if photosphere is important to you."

Good Luck !

ianisthewalrus

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 07, 2020, 02:29:31 pm »
Thanks for the quick response. I have done that and it was still crashing. I had to turn HDR+ from "On " to "Enhanced" and I was able to get a photo to capture. the jpeg is highly letterboxed, and the exposure is crazy bloomed out.  havnt peeked at the raws yet

shuntcap

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 07, 2020, 05:47:07 pm »
I have built a new package for Google Camera on the Cosmo that fixes a number of issues.  Please download it here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nckwdk9h106c794/gcam_for_cosmo_v1.apk?dl=1

1. Photos are now the correct size, no cropping needed, both JPEG and RAW.
2. Tap-to-focus now works.
3. JPEG exposure is now correct.
4. Motion photo has been removed since it was causing the app to crash if not manually disabled.

Still broken (and labeled as such in the app, English only):
1. Video
2. Panorama
3. Night Sight
4. Time Lapse
5. Slow Motion

I will keep working on the broken parts, but I make no guarantees about being able to fix them anytime soon.

This Google Camera port now makes the Cosmo camera usable!  No longer will you have to hang your head in shame when you show your friends photos from your Cosmo, especially after bragging about the keyboard.  No longer will a black cloud linger when you think, "I love the Cosmo, but the camera is just so awful!"

Enjoy.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 06:41:43 pm by shuntcap »

spook

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 07, 2020, 09:19:20 pm »
Thanks so much for this! I downloaded it and installed it straight away. I've only taken a couple of test photos in my office, but interestingly, even the jpgs in your modified app seem to look better than Open Camera. HEre are my very quick test results: https://imgur.com/a/COZaNi6 (blown up to 300%)