Author Topic: v22 is coming this week  (Read 12347 times)

TomJ

• View Profile
v22 is coming this week
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2020, 10:25:17 am »
Quote from: Vistaus
Quote from: szopin
Quote from: Charlie Stross
From the latest update, issued on 20/May:

[blockquote]Android Firmware – V22 firmware update

We now have a release candidate V22 firmware version and if all is well with the OTA updates we will release it withing the next week. Thank you for waiting for this firmware update.[/blockquote]

So if we're REALLY lucky it should drop some time on or after Monday 25th  
which year?

They changed their versioning scheme, so every version number now represents the year it'll be released in. So V22 will come in 2022, V23 in 2023, etc.

The last 2 firmware updates were immature at best, and the original OTA method was compromised: I think it's probably for the best if they make the effort to get this one right...

cam1965

• View Profile
    • http://
v22 is coming this week
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2020, 02:27:15 pm »
latest from PC

V22 Android Firmware

We have found a further kernel error during the final tests of the V22 firmware candidate release, so we are looking to repeat this error and fix it before releasing V22. Otherwise the release is performing well with much improved battery consumption, new security patches and the new Google GMS certificate.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 05:40:14 am by Varti »

Zarhan

• View Profile
v22 is coming this week
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2020, 03:04:55 pm »
Quote from: cam1965
We have found a further kernel error during the final tests of the V22 firmware candidate release, so we are looking to repeat this error and fix it before releasing V22. Otherwise the release is performing well with much improved battery consumption, new security patches and the new Google GMS certificate.

I have to wonder what exactly they have that requires coding on the kernel. Only thing I can think of is the possible connection to CoDi requiring a kernel driver (instead of userspace driver) if there's some special bus between CoDi and the primary device.

I really wish they'd open up the architecture a bit...

Vistaus

• View Profile
v22 is coming this week
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2020, 05:37:33 pm »
Quote from: Zarhan

I have to wonder what exactly they have that requires coding on the kernel. Only thing I can think of is the possible connection to CoDi requiring a kernel driver (instead of userspace driver) if there's some special bus between CoDi and the primary device.

Every manufacturer uses their own modified kernel, Planet included. What exactly they all modify, I dunno. But they are all modifying them in some way (how great would it be if all smartphones could run Linux Mainline?), so they have to code on it and fix errors.

vldmr

• View Profile
v22 is coming this week
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2020, 12:09:33 am »
Why would not they open architecture completely? This is a device that supposed to support linux without android. Where is this linux community they keep referring to. It is more like secret society. Nothing like open source community

irukandji

• View Profile
v22 is coming this week
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2020, 06:29:01 am »
Quote from: vldmr
Why would not they open architecture completely? This is a device that supposed to support linux without android. Where is this linux community they keep referring to. It is more like secret society. Nothing like open source community

I would also love to know that. 17 days back they have published in update:

We have not updated you on Linux for a while, but we have also been working in the background on some features.

We are working on the following features:

* Suspend and Resume - on open / close

* Initial Voice Call telephony support

Both have now been implemented and are being tested.

I would like to help, if nothing else with testing, my device was bought to get rid of android and now it is on a shelf waiting for better (linux) days.

Where or who is this community?

Zarhan

• View Profile
v22 is coming this week
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2020, 08:26:17 am »
Quote from: irukandji

Frankly, I have no idea.

I've tried to talk to Planet via their hello@planetcom e-mail, via the support feedback form, on indiegogo postings and the *only* time I got a reply was when I threatened to get a refund for my Astro contribution. This forum appears to be the closest thing to such a thing as a community.

cam1965

• View Profile
v22 is coming this week
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2020, 06:38:18 am »

Frankly, I have no idea.

I've tried to talk to Planet via their hello@planetcom e-mail, via the support feedback form, on indiegogo postings and the *only* time I got a reply was when I threatened to get a refund for my Astro contribution. This forum appears to be the closest thing to such a thing as a community.

Another week ... without update.

Vistaus

• View Profile
v22 is coming this week
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2020, 04:22:05 pm »
@cam1965 Planet works during weekends as well, so don't call it a week just yet.

cam1965

• View Profile
v22 is coming this week
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2020, 07:49:04 pm »
Quote from: Vistaus
@cam1965 Planet works during weekends as well, so don't call it a week just yet.

OK. Thank you for the information.

szopin

• View Profile
v22 is coming this week
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2020, 05:03:09 am »

We have not updated you on Linux for a while, but we have also been working in the background on some features.

I would like to help, if nothing else with testing, my device was bought to get rid of android and now it is on a shelf waiting for better (linux) days.

I'm afraid that this forum, geminipda group on telegram and matrix is all there is (about 100 people total). You can get telephony support with
Code: [Select]
apt update
apt upgrade
apt install dialer-app ofono ofono-ril-binder-plugin pulseaudio-module-droid-hidl audiosystem-passthrough
For the suspend newer kernel is needed (http://gemian-buster.thinkglobally.org/jenkins/job/cosmo-linux-kernel-4.4-binaries/lastBuild/architecture=arm64,distribution=buster/ one from here should work, though I managed to brick my wifi connectivity doing that so it's risky, had to reinstall gemian, but used newer rootfs img file from here: http://gemian-buster.thinkglobally.org/jen...20-05-08.img.gz (just replacing the img file in the customos installer folder on sdcard) after which installing the kernel worked (or maybe it was already included, uname -r gives the same version so hard to tell)) with it:
apt install gemian-lock repowerd xss-lockThe newer rootfs after update/upgrade included both though from the get go, so might not even need to manually install them

cam1965

• View Profile
v22 is coming this week
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2020, 06:32:40 pm »

I'm afraid that this forum, geminipda group on telegram and matrix is all there is (about 100 people total). You can get telephony support with
apt update
apt upgrade
apt install dialer-app ofono ofono-ril-binder-plugin pulseaudio-module-droid-hidl audiosystem-passthrough
For the suspend newer kernel is needed (http://gemian-buster.thinkglobally.org/jenkins/job/cosmo-linux-kernel-4.4-binaries/lastBuild/architecture=arm64,distribution=buster/ one from here should work, though I managed to brick my wifi connectivity doing that so it's risky, had to reinstall gemian, but used newer rootfs img file from here: http://gemian-buster.thinkglobally.org/jen...20-05-08.img.gz (just replacing the img file in the customos installer folder on sdcard) after which installing the kernel worked (or maybe it was already included, uname -r gives the same version so hard to tell)) with it:
apt install gemian-lock repowerd xss-lockThe newer rootfs after update/upgrade included both though from the get go, so might not even need to manually install them

I think this work only for firmware v20 or v21, right ?
This is what PC told us  when releasing v20 :

We are about to release a new firmware update for the Cosmo. The main features of this release are:

* Modified bootloader so that the mobile radio modem and SIM cards will be recognised when booting into Linux, rooted Android and other non-Android partitions;

szopin

• View Profile
v22 is coming this week
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2020, 03:42:52 am »

apt update
apt upgrade

We are about to release a new firmware update for the Cosmo. The main features of this release are:

* Modified bootloader so that the mobile radio modem and SIM cards will be recognised when booting into Linux, rooted Android and other non-Android partitions;
Gemian has his own kernel and driver modules, so it was probably mostly about rooted android? My android is still v19 as never bothered to update in the window v20 was available(and you can tinker with it without waiting for googol certifiction etc)

cam1965

• View Profile
v22 is coming this week
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2020, 09:27:19 am »

apt update
apt upgrade

Gemian has his own kernel and driver modules, so it was probably mostly about rooted android? My android is still v19 as never bothered to update in the window v20 was available(and you can tinker with it without waiting for googol certifiction etc)

OK. Thank you. But telephony with  v19 didn' t work at least for me. ( no sim card detected in linux ) . I will wait for v22 and  will post results here later ( I think the bootloader must be changed ) . Suspend works with the mentioned kernel and also with my compiled kernel with changes from this commit ( https://github.com/gemian/cosmo-linux-kerne...2467696b53bcff2 ).    Thank you again.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 03:53:45 pm by cam1965 »

Vistaus

• View Profile
v22 is coming this week
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2020, 04:04:51 am »
Still no update as of yet