3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rss Aggregator/reader, Would like a nice RSS reader on the Z
eji
post Feb 23 2005, 11:58 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,659

I've tried ZauRSS, but it's really rough-looking. I also don't think it supports anything beyond RSS 0.1.

It would be great to see an RSS aggregator/reader like NetNewsWire or NewsFire for the Z. I certainly wouldn't expect all the whistles and bells, but one that supports RSS 2.0 and Atom with an intuitive GUI layout.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
totaln00b
post Feb 24 2005, 01:58 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 3,142

I like Feed on Feeds, which is a server-side news aggregator rather than a desk-top. It works on an apache/php/mysql system and is very neat, though the original gui is a bit rough. There is an improved stylesheet for it which makes things a lot tidier though.

http://minutillo.com/steve/feedonfeeds/

Jo

+Quote Post
anonuk
post Feb 24 2005, 08:12 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,271

Im also on the look out for a good zaurus rss reader, gonna try that feedonfeed solution, thankx

+Quote Post
jh
post Feb 24 2005, 03:13 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 968

If you've got a server you can run java on, you might check out nntp//rss. It takes RSS feeds and puts them into usenet news format and runs an nntp server. I believe the opie mail reader will read news, as well. I *think* it will connect the news server and download all the new articles, which would allow it to be used disconnected.

I think you can also read the feeds with a browser with nntp//rss, as well, which would probably make clicking on links a lot easier than in the mail app.

jason

+Quote Post
tovarish
post Feb 27 2005, 05:45 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 5,233

if you dont mind offline reading sunrise desktop is an awfully good offline rss client which outputs plucker documents. and ofcourse opiereader is a great reader to view these plucker documents

http://laurens.typepad.com/

to get sunrise.

tovarish

+Quote Post
eji
post Feb 28 2005, 07:57 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(tovarish @ Feb 28 2005, 01:45 AM)
if you dont mind offline reading sunrise desktop is an awfully good offline rss client which outputs plucker documents. and ofcourse opiereader is a great reader to view these plucker documents

http://laurens.typepad.com/

to get sunrise.

tovarish

"There will be no freeware Sunrise versions supporting Plucker for Linux or Mac OS X." I think a lot of people on this forum will steer clear of Sunrise for this very reason.

The sever-dependent RSS readers are good alternatives, I suppose, but my wish is to see just a plain ol' RSS aggregator and newsreader for the Z without having to rely on anything external.

+Quote Post
dtruchan
post Feb 28 2005, 07:06 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 1,738

I use JPluck, the predecessor of sunrise, to make Plucker documents from RSS feeds.
The readme says you need Java 1.4.2, I use 1.5.0.
I've used it daily for quite some time now and couldn't be more pleased. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
ashikase
post Mar 3 2005, 08:35 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 2,375

You might try DmBlogger, a ruby-based RSS agregator for the Zaurus:
http://wiki.digitalmorning.net/?DmBlogger

It's Japanese only, but it's not hard to figure out how to use it.

It (unfortunately) requires that multiple ipks be installed:
dmblogger_1.3.0-1_arm.ipk
ruby_1.8.0-1_arm.ipk
ruby-qte_0.5.2_arm.ipk
ymxml_0.4.9-1_arm.ipk
rbuconv_0.1.2-1_arm.ipk
libcrypt_0.9.6k-1_arm.ipk

I haven't used it extensively, so I can't really comment on how well it works, but it's probably worth checking out.

- ashikase
- anpachi, gifu, japan

+Quote Post
anonuk
post Mar 5 2005, 09:07 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 1,271

thank you ashikase i find this software really useful. I am doing an english translation of the scripts (although i dont understand any of the japanese) which seems to work fine, if anyone wants it i can upload the scripts i changed.

Finally a half decent rss reader for the zaurus....

+Quote Post
lardman
post Mar 6 2005, 04:24 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 464

That would be useful, I was thinking about a news plugin for opie-today (inspired by nilch's post about using Opera as a UI)...

Si

+Quote Post
eji
post Mar 10 2005, 12:22 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(anonuk @ Mar 6 2005, 05:07 AM)
thank you  ashikase i find this software really useful. I am doing an english translation of the scripts (although i dont understand any of the japanese) which seems to work fine, if anyone wants it i can upload the scripts i changed.

I'd really like to have the English translations -- and a few installation hints, too, as I've no idea how to do it.

Thanks for the the suggestion, ashikase.

+Quote Post
eji
post Mar 11 2005, 10:40 AM
Post #12

After using DMBlogger for a few days, I'm reporting back to say it's very close to what I was looking for. I'd like to be able to view the full entries in Opera instead of NetFront and I'd naturally prefer the menu info in English (I'm getting big, ugly blocks instead of Japanese), but it meets all my basic needs. I was able to easily import all my present feeds as an OMPL file... very handy.

+Quote Post
ashikase
post Mar 11 2005, 05:43 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 2,375

DMBlogger is written in Ruby, so you should be able to change the text strings by editing the dmblogger files - assuming you can determine which file contains the string (there are many), and which string corresponds to which menu item.

As for it opening with opera, I took a quick look at the source and I think I found the solution: for DMBlogger (version 1.3.0) on line 52 of /home/QtPalmtop/bin/dmblogger/gui/berryrssdescviewwidget.rb, the program calls a qcop command:
CODE
system("qcop QPE/System \"execute(QString,QString)\" netfront3 #{@rssIten.getLink()}")

Changing "netfront3" to "opera" should do the trick.

- ashikase
- anpachi, gifu, japan

+Quote Post
ArchiMark
post Mar 11 2005, 06:05 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 208

Hi anonuk,

I'd be interested in those scripts too....

Thanks,

Mark

QUOTE(anonuk @ Mar 5 2005, 09:07 PM)
thank you  ashikase i find this software really useful. I am doing an english translation of the scripts (although i dont understand any of the japanese) which seems to work fine, if anyone wants it i can upload the scripts i changed.

+Quote Post
eji
post Mar 11 2005, 11:01 PM
Post #15

Thanks to ashikase, I found an easy way to make an English translation.

In the same location (/home/QtPalmtop/bin/dmblogger/gui/), open the individual widget files in an application like BBEdit.

Toward the top you'll see something like this:

@itemMenu.insertItem(tr("*&*^%^ (&N)"), self, "new()", CTRL+Key_N)
@itemMenu.insertItem(tr("*&^&*%^$£@ (&P)"), self, "post()", CTRL+Key_P)

Replace the Japanese characters and odd symbols within the parenthetical quotes with the text after "self," i.e., "post," "new." After this, on the primary GUI, you should get something like RSS ®, Configure © and Tools (T) as your main menu headings, with Update Feed (G), Update all feeds (A) and Cancel RSS update (X) under the first, and so on.

If anyone finds this too complicated, I could post the individual widget files somewhere for easy downloading.

Incidentally, changing "netfront3" to "opera" does the trick.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th September 2014 - 08:08 PM