OESF | ELSI | pdaXrom | OpenZaurus | Zaurus Themes | Community Links | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

28 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jumbo Xqt Package, installing xqt with just one package
who thinks a jumbo xqt package would be a good idea?
who thinks a jumbo xqt package would be a good idea?
yeah, I want one so I can get Xqt installed easily [ 152 ] ** [88.89%]
good idea, but I already have Xqt installed and working [ 18 ] ** [10.53%]
it's a waste of time [ 1 ] ** [0.58%]
Total Votes: 171
Guests cannot vote 
tovarish
post Jun 13 2005, 03:59 AM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,233

which packages it is made up of. are you compiling stuff or picking them up from the xqt feed. if you afre compiling then could you include a package for gaim please....

tovarish
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BramK
post Jun 13 2005, 04:40 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 6,958

Meanie,

In case you need another tester. It is time I start doing something useful with the C3000, thus consider me available.

BramK.

+Quote Post
Meanie
post Jun 14 2005, 06:22 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 6,686

QUOTE(BramK @ Jun 13 2005, 10:40 PM)
Meanie,

In case you need another tester. It is time I start doing something useful with the C3000, thus consider me available.

BramK.

So far the test has been very positive so I expect to be able to release the package really soon.

I have repackaged firefox as well in a QT friendly way so in theory, anyone with sharp/cacko rom should be able to install xqt jumbo package and firefox (provided they have sufficient space)
any volunteers to test this? should also work with c1000, c860, etc...

+Quote Post
Meanie
post Jun 14 2005, 06:28 PM
Post #19

QUOTE(tovarish @ Jun 13 2005, 09:59 PM)
which packages it is made up of. are you compiling stuff or picking them up from the xqt feed. if you afre compiling then could you include a package for gaim please....

tovarish

I just repackaged and combined files from the two xqt feeds and pdaxrom feed so once this package is installed, you got X/Qt and GTK installed with the target being able to install and run Mozilla Firefox and Debian PocketWorkstation.

You should be able to install gaim quite easily, although there are a lot of packages for gaim just like Xqt. Maybe an optional jumbo gaim package would be a good idea to supplement the xqt jumbo package.

+Quote Post
mtnkill
post Jun 14 2005, 07:03 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 6,719

QUOTE(Meanie @ Jun 14 2005, 10:22 PM)

I'll test. I have a c1000.

+Quote Post
Meanie
post Jun 15 2005, 03:53 AM
Post #21

QUOTE(mtnkill @ Jun 15 2005, 01:03 PM)

great smile.gif check your pm.

+Quote Post
osx4zaurus
post Jun 15 2005, 07:03 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 6,716

Here are my experiences with the package. I initially tried it on the older stock sharp rom and installation finished. It did report the "this package seems to depend on other packages, please install them" message. I then installed a version of firefox from pdaxrom. X worked, but firefox started the "select a new user" dialog and insisted that the "default" user was already in use. Creating a new user failed because of file permissions. I then started an xterm (NICE!) and su to root and ran firefox. It ran find as root. Eventually I ran into a problem where the screen would not respond to input and rebooted. After this I got the hd1 error and zaurus would not boot. I booted to single user mode, reformatted hd1 and reinstalled hd1 from a tar backup. I then upgraded to the newest sharp stock kernel. I left the machine in stock japanese and installed the packages. Same problem at startup with firefox. Another file permission problem causes the startx icon to fail after the first shutdown of X - the authority files from the old session are not cleared and can't be over written so X won't restart. You can force a restart from a shell. With the new rom I experienced no problems except those related to file permissions.

On another note - does anyone have an idea what the speed difference between running X/Qt and native X (say pdaxrom) is? I also noticed that firefox refused to do downloads because "not enough memory available"

The package is almost ready - just some file permission changes and maybe inclusion of a few other X apps and possibly matchbox? Thanks Meanie!!

+Quote Post
beowolf
post Jun 15 2005, 07:41 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 6,814

QUOTE(Meanie @ Jun 15 2005, 12:53 PM)
QUOTE(mtnkill @ Jun 15 2005, 01:03 PM)

great smile.gif check your pm.

Hi Meanie,

Do you need anymore C3000 testers?

+Quote Post
Meanie
post Jun 16 2005, 03:57 AM
Post #24

I think the xqt jumbo package is working nicely now for the C3000 model. firefox has a few issues but they are not xqt related.
I also have 1 tester for a c860 and the results look promising for that too so it looks like the package will be fine for c3000/c1000/c860. other models might work, but will need keyboard remappings.

Does anyone know whether it is possible to move this thread over to the X/qt section or do I need to create a new thread there?

+Quote Post
KwaiFeh
post Jun 16 2005, 05:42 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 1,399

QUOTE(Meanie @ Jun 14 2005, 09:28 PM)
I just repackaged and combined files from the two xqt feeds and pdaxrom feed so once this package is installed, you got X/Qt and GTK installed with the target being able to install and run Mozilla Firefox and Debian PocketWorkstation.

You should be able to install gaim quite easily, although there are a lot of packages for gaim just like Xqt. Maybe an optional jumbo gaim package would be a good idea to supplement the xqt jumbo package.

I would really look forward for an gaim package. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Greg2
post Jun 16 2005, 05:48 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 792

QUOTE(Meanie @ Jun 16 2005, 07:57 AM)
Does anyone know whether it is possible to move this thread over to the X/qt section or do I need to create a new thread there?

Meanie, just click on Report at the bottom of your post and request that it be moved by someone with admin. options.

Greg

+Quote Post
asola
post Jun 20 2005, 03:35 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 7,347

QUOTE(Meanie @ Jun 16 2005, 12:57 PM)
I think the xqt jumbo package is working nicely now for the C3000 model. firefox has a few issues but they are not xqt related.
I also have 1 tester for a c860 and the results look promising for that too so it looks like the package will be fine for c3000/c1000/c860. other models might work, but will need keyboard remappings.

Hi Meanie,

When do you plan to make the package public? I just had to reset my Cacko3Kb1 installation and would be happy to have XQt installed so easily.

+Quote Post
ArchiMark
post Jun 20 2005, 05:42 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 208

Hi Meanie,

Well, like asola, I am ready to try your jumbo package as something is not working now with my X/Qt/Debian setup....

I tried out QuantumSTEP on my Z and it works but I think it must have changed something. Now, X/Qt/Debian is not working when I try to start it up...

So either I try your jumbo package or will need to do manual install again....

However, one question for you please....

I installed X/Qt/Debian to my microdrive on my C3000 instead of using a external storage card. Can I do this with your jumbo package??

Thanks!

Mark

+Quote Post
Meanie
post Jun 21 2005, 04:04 AM
Post #29

QUOTE(ArchiMark @ Jun 20 2005, 11:42 PM)
Hi Meanie,

Well, like asola, I am ready to try your jumbo package as something is not working now with my X/Qt/Debian setup....

I tried out QuantumSTEP on my Z and it works but I think it must have changed something. Now, X/Qt/Debian is not working when I try to start it up...

I installed X/Qt/Debian to my microdrive on my C3000 instead of using a external storage card. Can I do this with your jumbo package??

Thanks!

Mark

The jumbo package only installs X/Qt. The debian package is next if I have time.
For your problem, you should only need to reinstall the debian-startscripts. Quantumsteps overwrote your .xinitrc file.

+Quote Post
ArchiMark
post Jun 21 2005, 05:13 AM
Post #30

Member No.: 208

Thanks as always for your help, Meanie!

Will try reinstalling the debian-startscripts....

*** If I do try installing your jumbo package can I install it to my internal drive or only to external storage card like SD or CF ???

Thanks,

Mark

QUOTE(Meanie @ Jun 21 2005, 05:04 AM)
The jumbo package only installs X/Qt. The debian package is next if I have time.
For your problem, you should only need to reinstall the debian-startscripts. Quantumsteps overwrote your .xinitrc file.

QUOTE(ArchiMark @ Jun 20 2005, 11:42 PM)
Hi Meanie,

Thanks!

Mark

+Quote Post

28 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd November 2014 - 09:56 PM