14 Pages V  « < 12 13 14  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2gb And Up Sd Cards Supported, driver available for cxxxx
jochen-02
post Jan 18 2007, 10:42 AM
Post #196

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,733

QUOTE(speculatrix @ Jan 18 2007, 03:21 PM)
I don't know if the flash controllers on the cards understand the fat filesystem enough to do any special wear levelling, but that might be the case and explain why cards seem to wear out quicker using ext3.

No, I think the reason is journal updates.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Antikx
post Jan 18 2007, 11:10 AM
Post #197

Member No.: 6,127

QUOTE(HoloVector @ Jan 17 2007, 09:55 PM)
With my soldering skills, I'd be more likely to neuter him!  ohmy.gif

laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Antikx
post Jan 18 2007, 11:14 AM
Post #198

Member No.: 6,127

QUOTE(jochen-02 @ Jan 18 2007, 12:39 PM)
Yes. The main difference between ext2 and ext3 is journalling. ext3 is ext2 with added journalling feature. Which advantages do you expect from journalling on a PDA?
Since journal updates accures quite frequent it in fact may add much wear to a flash memory card.

Perhaps I'm ignorant but I thought journaling might be good on flash memory so that it lowers the chance of something getting corrupt if you have it open when you need to cold boot your Zaurus because of a crash. *shrug* Maybe I'm mistaken.

+Quote Post
InSearchOf
post Jan 18 2007, 11:32 AM
Post #199

Group: Admin
Member No.: 8,961

QUOTE(Antikx @ Jan 18 2007, 02:14 PM)
Yes. The main difference between ext2 and ext3 is journalling. ext3 is ext2 with added journalling feature. Which advantages do you expect from journalling on a PDA?
Since journal updates accures quite frequent it in fact may add much wear to a flash memory card.

Perhaps I'm ignorant but I thought journaling might be good on flash memory so that it lowers the chance of something getting corrupt if you have it open when you need to cold boot your Zaurus because of a crash. *shrug* Maybe I'm mistaken.

Journaling is GOOD! very good... but for a device (SD and CF) with a "write life" you dont want to waste its life span on journal writes...

Late

+Quote Post
speculatrix
post Jan 18 2007, 01:27 PM
Post #200

Member No.: 4,149

QUOTE(jochen-02 @ Jan 18 2007, 07:39 PM)

it's also vital to check that your flash card is mounted "noatime" too so that every file or directory access doesn't result in updating the timestamps.

+Quote Post
speculatrix
post Jan 18 2007, 01:31 PM
Post #201

Member No.: 4,149

QUOTE(Antikx @ Jan 18 2007, 08:14 PM)

it's a balance. I'd hope that you don't lock up your Z too often, but if you are, then journalling would probably be a good thing - however, if you are really thrashing your memory cards with writes, you probably ought to get a microdrive. I'd rather get a corrupted memory card and reformat and replace its contents than have the card go bad.

Anyway, I would never keep the master and only copy of data on a memory card in case it goes bad or the device its in gets lost or stolen. I had a nice Viking ultra-hi-speed card stolen in a TomTom GO just before xmas sad.gif

+Quote Post

14 Pages V  « < 12 13 14
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2015 - 12:07 PM