Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Help With Nand Bad Blocks!
silencer51
post Aug 3 2006, 01:41 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,504

Guys, I need your help.

I have a C31K which has been working fine up until now.

I've flashed it about 5-6 times with different distros. I've been using pdaXrom 1.1.1 beta3.

Yesterday I gave beta4 a shot - this one uses a new bootloader, so I had to do some things from a recovery console first.

Whenever I erase the nand (flash_eraseall /dev/mtd5) I get 2 errors - it seems there are 2 bad blocks on my NAND chip! :-(

Yesterday, when I went into the diagnostics menu (D+M) and did a 'NAND Flash Erase' I got 1 error. Today I got two. What's happening? Is there anything I can do to repair these bad blocks? sad.gif

I really hope I don't have to ship it to Japan... sad.gif

Thanks in advance!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
InSearchOf
post Aug 3 2006, 05:41 AM
Post #2

Group: Admin
Member No.: 8,961

Honestly I dont think Sharp Japan does repairs to bad blocks on the nand...

and if they do... DONT tell them you know there are bad blocks... because technically I dont think anyone should be (in Sharp Mind) in the Recovery Console/Maintance Mode... They may learn that you know to much... and maybe just enough to break the unit... Also tell them that

I know on a normal hard disk sometimes bad blocks can be repaired and if they aren't repairable they will because marked as bad and write attempt will avoid those blocks. I dont know how well the Zs are at negotiating between bad and good blocks...

Hope you get things worked out or someone gives you a fix for this..

Late

+Quote Post
wrc4
post Aug 6 2006, 06:41 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 9,848

QUOTE(InSearchOf @ Aug 3 2006, 05:41 AM)
Honestly I dont think Sharp Japan does repairs to bad blocks on the nand...

and if they do... DONT tell them you know there are bad blocks... because technically I dont think anyone should be (in Sharp Mind) in the Recovery Console/Maintance Mode... They may learn that you know to much... and maybe just enough to break the unit... Also tell them that

I know on a normal hard disk sometimes bad blocks can be repaired and if they aren't repairable they will because marked as bad and write attempt will avoid those blocks. I dont know how well the Zs are at negotiating between bad and good blocks...

Hope you get things worked out or someone gives you a fix for this..

Late

I remember someone said that doing a "NAND Flash Full Erase" will mark bad blocks. It should be in the EXTRA MENU in the D+M mode.

+Quote Post
silencer51
post Aug 17 2006, 07:00 AM
Post #4

Indeed the bad blocks are automatically marked (that's the way NAND works).

What I'm wondering is, will I have a problem in the future? Will more develop? What is the expected read/write lifespan of the Z's NAND?

I like to experiment with different ROMs, so I flash my Z every couple of months or so...

+Quote Post
silencer51
post Aug 17 2006, 08:00 AM
Post #5

Update: After I did a Full NAND FLash Check in the diagnostics menu, and 1 Full Flash erase afterwards, I only get 1 bad block now... wtf!?

Have I actually "fiixed" one of the two bad blocks on my device?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th December 2014 - 12:51 PM