11 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lots Of Questions..., very new to linux
fishcube
post Sep 27 2006, 08:09 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,444

Hello. Where is everyone? I havn't seen many posts this month at all. I'm hoping there is still quite a few Zaurus owners still around here.

I ordered a C1000 Zaurus from Conics.net (Thanks Brett!) on Sunday. It will be converted to English. It's now on its way to the US. Anyone know how long it takes once its dispatched to US and shows up on the USPS tracking, to arrive at my post office? We don't have home delivery here since we live in a small town, we have to pick up our mail at post office. I'd really like to know if I have any hope of getting it by Saturday? I also noticed the EMS will delivery on holidays and weekends, but what happens when the post office is closed on those days?

I chose the C1000, because it fit into my price range (savings) and I like the idea of no HD. Since I don't have to worry about dropping it and the HD not working etc. I may be using this while riding horses, so Flash is important.

I've not had any experience with linux before (or anything similiar). This is my first linux device. I only have experience with Windows. Our main computer is a HP Laptop. I mainly picked the Zaurus for its keyboard and clamshell type. I need something with PIM functions and to use for Photos, games, and Database. Will eventually get a 56K modem for e-mail/internet. We have dial-up internet.
------

Here are questions I have (bare with me as I know nothing about linux):

1. What color is the C1000 exactly? I've seen many pictures but the documentation I've read online says its black? but, I thought the 3100 was black?

2. I've been reading that Cacko ROM is a very good English ROM. Is this a good one for someone who is new to linux? Will the main screen with icons be the same if I change ROM's? About switching, I found the instructions on the main page under the release of the Cacko ROM. If I add contact, calendar info and then switch to Cacko, will I lose that info or will it get transferred? Also, how do I do a backup? Can I backup to my laptop PC? or to a SD card? I plan on buying a 512mb or 1GB SD card soon after purchase. I can't seem to find info on backing up the Zaurus, is there good instructions online?

3. I won't be programming or doing anything major with the linux itself. But, what info do I need to know about linux to get started?

4. What brands and type of SD cards work with the C1000? I read that its not supposed to be fast speed. But, how does one know if high speed etc? I've heard there is a patch one can use to allow the C1000 to use bigger SD cards then 1GB. Is this patch safe and easy to install?

5. About installing programs. How hard or easy is it to install programs? Will a icon for the programs be on the main boot screen after installing?

6. Which 56K modem is cheapest and works the best with the C1000?

7. Is there a website that shows the newest programs for Zaurus? I would like to add tkcAddressbook. Anyone have this program? Would love to add DOOM, Heretic etc, how easy is it? How is the default database program on the Zaurus? Is there a better one? I also want to add the xfishtank screensaver. Anyone have this? install
instructions?

8. How easy is it to add mp3's in wma format? I've got itunes and am slowly switching to Windows media Player. I can't seem to get the song info to transfer... ?? I'm still thinking of buying a Samsung K5 to use for just mp3s, but it would be nice to have one device for PDA/mp3 etc. If it works well for that purpose.

9. Plan to change background image. Is it easy to use a photo located on the Zaurus as background? And what size pics can I add to Zaurus that will work as background?

10. Which site has the best selections of Zaurus accessories?

11. Books on Linux. I went to B&N bookstore and they had quite a bit of books on linux. All foreign material to me... So, any recommendations? for a newbie? I need something I can take with me on the road for reading.

I plan on adding questions as I think of them.... bare with me smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ljonesj
post Sep 27 2006, 08:24 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 10,742

if you ordered it on sunday it should be here at the earliest tommorrow and ems delivered to my house. i ordered mine on a sunday too
i am in the same boat as you with linux but i do have some exprience with it but not much

+Quote Post
fishcube
post Sep 27 2006, 08:36 AM
Post #3

QUOTE(ljonesj @ Sep 27 2006, 10:24 AM)
if you ordered it on sunday it should be here at the earliest tommorrow and ems delivered to my house. i ordered mine on a sunday too 

So I take it EMS delivers seperately from the post office? or did you mean your regular postal service delivered the mail normally? Did you have to sign for it? I would love to have it tomorrow, but am just hoping by the weekend.

+Quote Post
InSearchOf
post Sep 27 2006, 08:43 AM
Post #4

Group: Admin
Member No.: 8,961

USPS will deliver it... EMS is just does the postage exchange from japan to US...

Late

+Quote Post
Jon_J
post Sep 27 2006, 08:52 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 8,821

1. Here's 2 pics of the C1000 compared to the C3000
The C1000 is on the left in both pics.

2. Cacko is a variation of Sharp rom. It's basically Sharp rom with a lot of updated drivers, modules, and better apps. It's what most people here recommend as a "Starting" rom for new people with a Zaurus. It's also recommended for persons that are "new" at Linux. Most things, (with a few exceptions), just work in Cacko. Read this thread about Cacko, and installing Cacko. I printed a copy of this thread for refrence.
http://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=15820
There is also a version of Cacko, called "Lite"
I suggest you go with the full version and not the Lite version.
You'll need to do some research about the differences, before using Cacko Lite.
Also, one of the best refrences for Cacko/Sharp rom users is Meanie's site.
In my opinion, it is THE BEST refrence for Cacko/Sharp users with the Cxxxx models of Zauri. Find and download zbook3k.pdf (It is a copy of the site, and is always updated by Meanie)
http://www.users.on.net/%7Ehluc/myZaurus/

3. I'll let some of the Linux regulars answer this one. You'll need to learn the basic stuff, like files and directories. And Linux has a major differance from win/dos, that is all files and directories have differing layers of permissions. (In other words, some files/folders will be read only and you cannot access them or change them, without changing the permission to them). Like I said, you'll need to research this, and/or someone more knowledgeable of Linux can explain in more detail.

4. In my opinion, any good quality brand name SD card should work. The old Sandisk ones had problems, but that was 2 yrs ago. I'm using 2 different Sandisk Ultra 2 cards now. I also have a PNY and a Palm MMC card. No probs with any of them.
The speed is limited, so the "very fast" cards will have no advantage in speed.
Check this thread for cards above 1GB on the Cxxxx series of Zauri
http://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=18523
It's just a few threads down from here.

5. Most well behaved programs will install an icon in one of your tabs on your screen.
Download from ELSI (At top of this forum). ELSI usually checks if you have necessory dependencies when you download a program form there.
A lot of programs have "dependencies" (These are other files required to enable your program to run). When you find a program that you want, research it first and make sure you have the files needed for that program to run. If you go online with your Z, and use the "feed method", the dependencies will be listed when you download a new program. I don't use that method, it requires to be connected online with your Z.
If you open a feed in your browser on your desktop, there will be a file called "packages". Download it and open it Wordpad on Windows, then copy it to notepad and save it to a text file. It shows all the packages on that feed, and lists the dependencies. The reason you need to open the packages file in wordpad, is because wordpad will convert the text from UNIX to a format that you can read in Windows.
If you cannot open the packages file in wordpad, open it first in notepad, then copy/paste it to wordpad. It will now be converted. Now copy/paste from wordpad, back to notepad, and save it. (Notepad uses monospaced font, and the converted UNIX files look better in notepad.)

6. I use the Ambicom "EZJack modem, CF card. It works out of the box. It may not be the cheapest, but you can purchase it at Staples, and that's why I chose it. I walked in and they ordered it for me.
http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...8&cmArea=SEARCH

7. ELSI has most of the up to date software. But one of your best resources for new software is right here in the forums. A lot of people post about, and link to packages here.

8. I'll leave this to someone else.

9. This can be done in the Appearance app, in the system tab. Research this further to get your image to look good in both landscape and portrait modes.
A good site for complete themes is Cresho's site.
http://www.zaurusthemes.org/

10. Conics, Trisoft, StreamlineCPUs are sites with Zaurus accessories. These sites test the accessories and are active members of this forum and will help you if needed. Also, for accessories that plug into USB, check Meanie's site, linked above.
Here in the midwest, I look at local stores, Radioshack, Staples, Bestbuy, Officemax, Office Depot, Circuit City.
Walgreens and Big Lots carry a good and cheap USB connector kit with the Mini 'A' connector. Thats the connector needed to use USB host. Such as mice, keyboards externally powered hard drives, and optical drives. USB Bluetooth, etc, etc..

This post has been edited by Jon_J: Sep 27 2006, 09:33 AM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Zaurus_C3000_VS_C1000__6_.jpg ( 86.89K ) Number of downloads: 70
Attached File  Zaurus_C3000_VS_C1000__7_.jpg ( 40.94K ) Number of downloads: 38

+Quote Post
bluedevils
post Sep 27 2006, 10:33 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 1,633

1000 has a black outer shell (upper and lower body) with the keyboard area being silver with grey keys. The screen frame is a gun metal greyish (pearl).

The 3100 has a black bottom shell and black keyboard area. The upper shell and screen frame is gun metal greyish (pearl).

+Quote Post
harvell
post Sep 27 2006, 12:39 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 9,831

Linux in a Nutshell is a book I reference a lot. Being a newb when I got my 5500 about 3 yrs back I did learn alot about file structures, permissions, and basics about the Command Line/Shell. One of the best resources is http://www.oesf.org and doing general searches in the forums. The only time I really reference the linux in a Nutshell book is when I'm in a parking lot or somewhere without internet access. Other than that its always a google search.

+Quote Post
fishcube
post Sep 27 2006, 02:54 PM
Post #8

Thanks everyone!

Question: about the usb cable for C1000. Will my laptop automatically accept the C1000 once plugged in? As the CD is in japanese and don't see it helping on a US laptop.

Also, is it easy to transfer a file (example from Word) from C1000 to PC in readable format? Such as a txt file etc. Or would it be better to get a usb drive and transfer file to it and then hook ubs drive to PC?

+Quote Post
freizugheit
post Sep 27 2006, 07:35 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 811

As a beginner, I would like to suggest to play around with the English version of original Sharp ROM till you are familiar with Linux OS.

Do post your questions and problems encountered when palying with your Zaraus.

+Quote Post
Da_Blitz
post Sep 28 2006, 12:20 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 6,806

when learning linux you should have an understanding of what you need to learn, you say that you dont want to program on the device, so that means that it should mostly be point and click and learning to configure things (ie no "under the hood" shell work) so i would say read up on meanies site and the fourms, post questions and tinker with the device as well as going throgh every menu you can' that will teach you how to use the device

dont be afriad of bricking the device. if you need to move on to somthing more advanced such as the command line then thats the time to breack out the books

+Quote Post
fishcube
post Sep 28 2006, 08:18 AM
Post #11

It didn't arrive today. Tracking shows that it left Japan on 27th 6pm. But I believe that is Japan time, not US time? What was others experiences with shipping times with EMS?

I'm hoping it arrives by Saturday. Our post office says they get all mail by 6am.

+Quote Post
lardman
post Sep 28 2006, 09:03 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 464

7. Is there a website that shows the newest programs for Zaurus? I would like to add tkcAddressbook. Anyone have this program? Would love to add DOOM, Heretic etc, how easy is it? How is the default database program on the Zaurus? Is there a better one? I also want to add the xfishtank screensaver. Anyone have this? install
instructions?

xfishtank is an X11 based app. tkcAddressbook is only available for the (Qtopia) Sharp-based images.

Therefore you'll have to run something like Cacko or an original Sharp image to make tkcAddressbook work, and will have to use XQt to run xfishtank. I'm not sure this is quite what you'll want to do.

Is tkcAddressbook that wonderful? Is there nothing else in the x11-based world that can replace it?

Si

+Quote Post
bluedevils
post Sep 28 2006, 10:02 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 1,633

I'm not a fan of tkcaddressbook anymore. It was great back in the beginning when the sharp PIMs were based on xml and the screens were qvga. AFAIK there is no way to sync it while using the current sharp roms. I'm not sure if they have done any development since the attempt to move to a sqlite db.

kde pim pi is good and will sync with the sharp pims. The sharp pim will sync with I think outlook 2000 and before. I don't know if there is newer software that does outlook 2003.

+Quote Post
ljonesj
post Sep 28 2006, 11:08 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 10,742

it was ems that deliveded to my house and i am sorry about the confusion it will probably arrive by next week

+Quote Post
fishcube
post Sep 28 2006, 11:52 AM
Post #15

I don't need the addressbook to sync with PC. I just need a nice one that looks nice on the VGA and has good features that are customizable preferred.

what is XQT? and why don't I want to use it?

+Quote Post

11 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th July 2014 - 02:14 AM