OESF | ELSI | pdaXrom | OpenZaurus | Zaurus Themes | Community Links | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sl-c1000 Portability, Carrying your Z?
mdanehart
post Dec 29 2006, 02:41 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,768

Being new to the C1000 machine and it's OS is one issue I have , but how do you members carry your device or do you? I also own a 5.9 oz X51V which carries comfortably in my suit jacket with little discomfort. I tried my Z in the same inner suit jacket pocket and....well I need some advice.

I hate to leave my new toy sitting on the desk! unsure.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nilch
post Dec 29 2006, 07:55 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,034

Jacket pocket is pretty roomy for the Z. In summer I even carry it in my shirt pocket - a bit bulky true, but at least it stays with me.

In the jacket, (like today, I left my bag in the car an just carried the Z in my jacket - planning to get out of ioffice quick), I even have the wifi card in the zaurus, which sticks out a bit. But no problem.

Best is of course to have a small bag, and you can just dump the Zaurus and accessories in the bag.

+Quote Post
InSearchOf
post Dec 29 2006, 07:59 AM
Post #3

Group: Admin
Member No.: 8,961

Typically I dont carry my Z around... but when I do... it is usually in my inner coat pocket... with wifi card in... because my Z is allergic to pocket lint :-)

But for long trips I have a backpack that I just throw it in... with my pdaxrom dev log notebook and my Z accessories...

Late

+Quote Post
alban42
post Dec 29 2006, 08:10 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 7,729

QUOTE(InSearchOf @ Dec 29 2006, 04:59 PM)
Typically I dont carry my Z around... but when I do... it is usually in my inner coat pocket... with wifi card in... because my Z is allergic to pocket lint :-)

But for long trips I have a backpack that I just throw it in... with my pdaxrom dev log notebook and my Z accessories...

Late

i bought a leather case for my Z but its far too bulky for a shirt or trouser pocket
ok inside the jacket though

I bought a shirt with a pocket with a button on it

far safer than the orig shirt ( lean forward Z drops on floor WIMPER)
metal top has a few dents in it now ...

Maybe geek anser is velcro in shirt pocket instead of button (:-))

+Quote Post
Cresho
post Dec 29 2006, 08:26 AM
Post #5

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 809

i have a pdair case for it and stick the bulky thing in my deep pocket in my pants. It's fine if you don't care how you look with it protruding out of the side of your pants. without the pdair case, it fit's fine.

+Quote Post
BarryW
post Dec 29 2006, 08:54 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 3,570

My answer.

QUOTE(alban42 @ Dec 29 2006, 07:10 AM)
i bought a leather case for my Z but its far too bulky for a shirt or trouser pocket
ok inside the  jacket though

I bought a shirt with a pocket with a button on it

far safer than the orig shirt  ( lean forward Z drops on floor WIMPER)
metal top has a few dents in it now ...

Maybe geek anser is velcro in shirt pocket instead of button (:-))

I lost an iPaq screen to this. Took 3 months to get a replacement one from foxxcon

+Quote Post
gr8ful
post Dec 29 2006, 12:08 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 8,307

For me the clamshell Zaurus is at that in between size where it is pocketable but noticeably so. Since wifi and bluetooth aren't built-in, I have a leather case for my Z, cards, and headphones. Otherwise, I don't mind slipping it into my front pants pocket, but the size and weight means you'll not forget it's there.

+Quote Post
harvell
post Dec 29 2006, 02:13 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 9,831

My wife usually tells me "Is that a Z in your pocket or ......?" biggrin.gif

I usually carry a small laptop bag with me for all the accessories. I usually have a book in there and documents for work. It's a heck of a lot smaller than a Franklin Covey Planner. I'm also getting a car mount for GPS, Audio, and Movie playing.

+Quote Post
CktRider
post Dec 29 2006, 04:30 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 9,185

Evidently I'm the only one around who upholds the best of geek tradition and carries my Z on my belt. It fits snugly in a low-profile and stretchable LowePro D-Pods 40 case, which also includes two pockets for my CF cards. The flap is velcro, and is configured to latch even with my (still non-working) WiFi CF card in place.

http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Camera_Pou.../D-Pods_40.aspx

7-28-2007 After several months of inexplicable lockups of my C1000, I have traced the source of the problem to...my beloved belt case! I now no longer use the D-Pods 40 case, which I believe was causing my lid to shift just enough to change the state of one or both of the lid switches while still on my belt. I haven't tracked down the exact mechanism--I've contented myself with the complete disappearance of the lockup problem when I leave my C1000 out of the case. The problem is no fault of LowePro, of course, since they don't sell this product as a PDA case. But a word to the wise: your case shouldn't cause or allow your screen/lid to move at all when your Zaurus is stored in it.

+Quote Post
Antikx
post Dec 29 2006, 07:54 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 6,127

QUOTE(CktRider @ Dec 29 2006, 06:30 PM)
Evidently I'm the only one around who upholds the best of geek tradition and carries my Z on my belt.  It fits snugly in a low-profile and stretchable LowePro D-Pods 40 case, which also includes two pockets for my CF cards.  The flap is velcro, and is configured to latch even with my (still non-working) WiFi CF card in place.

You're not the only one. wink.gif
http://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showt...ndpost&p=113890

+Quote Post
HoloVector
post Dec 29 2006, 08:17 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 9,420

Like Antikx, I too have a Dave Mirra GB case but, I very seldom use it. I also have have a cheap but well padded digicam case that I use from time to time.

But, the PDAir and Piel Frama cases see the most use for me. The Piel Frama holds my 3200 most of the time and the PDAir holds my 1000. I really like the way that the PDAir case attaches to the Z but, the things I can't stand about it is how thick it makes the Z and the lack of protection it offers to the sides of the Z. The Piel Frama is better in both of those respects. It is thinner and provides more protection.

I use a small messenger bag on weekdays to carry both my Zs to and from work. Both Zs ride in their respective leather cases inside the messenger bag.

+Quote Post
brashley46
post Dec 30 2006, 07:41 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 7,227

Mine's in this post on the same thread as antikx's: http://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showt...ndpost&p=117249 Hangs from my belt just like the slipstick I used to carry when I was a freshman engineer, 42 years ago. (Flunked calc and switched majors.) It has room for camera card, wifi card, extra CF and SD cards, and even a CF-to-PC-card adapter.

+Quote Post
BarryW
post Dec 30 2006, 07:57 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 3,570

QUOTE(CktRider @ Dec 29 2006, 03:30 PM)
Evidently I'm the only one around who upholds the best of geek tradition and carries my Z on my belt.  It fits snugly in a low-profile and stretchable LowePro D-Pods 40 case, which also includes two pockets for my CF cards.  The flap is velcro, and is configured to latch even with my (still non-working) WiFi CF card in place.

You must have missed the link on my post....

+Quote Post
Chero
post Dec 31 2006, 10:36 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 2,962

QUOTE(BarryW @ Dec 31 2006, 04:57 AM)
You must have missed the link on my post....

I found the link ...
I liked nite-ize the moment I found them on the web, but One problem : try to find them in Belgium !

Most of the time I carry my c3100 in a piel frama case I got from pulster. When it gets rough, I use my grindergear case (now sold as extreme gear).

Chero.

+Quote Post
RobbH
post Dec 31 2006, 11:27 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 6,196

Shirt pocket. Too big for that, you say? Maybe, but the C1000 is a much a better fit than my old HP 200-LX or the 6000, both of which were likely to fall out anytime I leaned over. A large rubber band wrapped around the Z provides a little extra traction and helps to anchor in the pocket.

Anything that's too big to fit in a pocket is a device that you CAN carry with you, but will sometimes leave behind. I bought a Z because I want a device that I WILL have with me when I need it.

Robb

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th December 2014 - 12:06 PM