tg
post Apr 18 2007, 11:23 AM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,230

QUOTE(dhns @ Apr 13 2007, 01:59 PM)
QUOTE(tg @ Apr 13 2007, 06:55 PM)
oqo size and features

Ah, I forgot to comment that - the new OQO 2 is now available at 1600$... Thats way too much for adding a QWERT keyboard...

-- hns

You mean $1600 vs whatever zaurus goes for these days?
You do understand that oqo price tag includes much better processor, memory, etc (as you have listed yourself)? The difference is clearly not just the qwert keyboard?
From my point of view right now I don't care to discuss the price at all because the device i'm looking for is not available *at any price point*. Once it is released even if at high price initially it will eventually come down (although I would be happy to pay $2000 for current oqo size and features but it must be in the clam format).
Virtual keyboard will never work for me and I'm not interested in any workaround solutions for physical keyboard. I have decided that I will not compromise any longer (I am really tired of buying devices that are almost there - only if some one or two things were not screwed up - this forces us to later do all kinds of workarounds to get around the missing/screwed up features and I just wont put up with that s**t any more. I will simply stay with my current computer setup of Zaurus-860 + Powerbook + 24" iMac until I see real improvements for any of the above - it's just not there right now (I am almost as dissapointed with apple as with sharp because of them putting all the computer releases on hold to focus on iphone - which itself more and more looks like a huge disapointment before it's even released - again no keyboard, closed to third party developers, etc).
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dhns
post Apr 18 2007, 10:39 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 2,043

QUOTE(tg @ Apr 18 2007, 08:23 PM)
You mean $1600 vs whatever zaurus goes for these days?
You do understand that oqo price tag includes much better processor, memory, etc (as you have listed yourself)? The difference is clearly not just the qwert keyboard?

No, not compared to a Zaurus but to the Asus P2H I have mentioned. I can see only a faster CPU and a builtin QWERTY when comparing both for a price difference of approx. $900 -> $1600
like a huge disapointment before it's even released - again no keyboard, closed to third party
I have now made my company to buy one for me, and I am positiviely surprised.

It comes WITH a QWERTY keyboard (foldable) and a mouse. WLAN and Bluetooth work out of the box. It even has a wired Ethernet interface. I have attached a photo comparing the Asus P2H with the Zaurus C3100 and a SIMpad.
Attached File  IMG_0229.JPG ( 269.15K ) Number of downloads: 55

Well, it is much larger and most notably heavier than a Zaurus, so it is more difficult to carry along - and you won't really use it like a Zaurus making notes in a seminar. But using it is sometimes easier, since the screen is larger and if you connect the QWERTY you will also connect the mouse. XP has sometimes problems with the WVGA screen since some Windows are designed too large...

Now, I am tying to install Ubuntu through instlux which would IMHO make it a nice platform for developing new software. Since the device has every interface you can think of (WLAN, Bluetooth, Ethernet, Video out, Audio in/out, GPS, Fingerprint, SD, USB), it is a great platform for software creativity.

And, Intel has just these days announced the next generation platform A100 and A110 which should allow much smaller designs with more power efficiency. I would not even be surprised if the iPhone is based on one of these but they can not announce yet. For Apple it might have been the root reason to switch to Intel (you remember Steve telling us about very nice things Intel has on their roadmap?).

-- hns

+Quote Post
dhns
post Apr 18 2007, 10:50 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 2,043

Interesting news on Red Flag Linux:

http://apcmag.com/5896/gallery_intels_new_..._red_flag_linux

They use the Asus R2H device for prototyping.

-- hns

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 02:31 PM