2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Forum Search
gojira
post Feb 4 2005, 10:00 PM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,248

Also, I've been getting a lot of timeouts recently when following links in search results. Either this:
Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /home/.bluebellblender/miamlh1/oesf.org/forums/sources/topics.php on line 814
or this:
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@oesf.org and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Stripping the "&hl=..." (which, incidently, includes "and" if AND was used in the search) off the URL seems to fix it, so maybe highlighting should be optional in searches.

Thanks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lareya
post Feb 5 2005, 09:50 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 3,115

Okay, so if google is better to search with, can you just put a google link on this forum? Like I have seen it on other sites where it says search this site. That would be the simplist for us end users. I too am having trouble searching for different things. I try, but it seems labor intensive. .....just a thought.

Lareya

+Quote Post
gojira
post Feb 6 2005, 08:19 PM
Post #18

QUOTE(lareya @ Feb 6 2005, 04:50 PM)
Okay, so if google is better to search with, can you just put a google link on this forum? Like I have seen it on other sites where it says search this site.  That would be the simplist for us end users.  I too am having trouble searching for different things.  I try, but it seems labor intensive.  .....just a thought. 

You can make a site search form or just use a link like this, but google's index is up to a month old and so may not show recent posts, so improving the local search is still worthwhile.

+Quote Post
offroadgeek
post Feb 7 2005, 11:15 AM
Post #19

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

The searching and the highlighting worked fine before the upgrade, so I think it's probably just a bug in the new version. I will report it to ipb to see if we can get a fix.

offroadgeek

+Quote Post
clofland
post Feb 8 2005, 01:55 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 813

Maybe this isn't new, but when I do a search and click on a thread that comes up in the search, 90% of the time I get this:

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /home/.bluebellblender/miamlh1/oesf.org/forums/sources/topics.php on line 816

Very annoying. I know the answer is out there, and it is trying to find me, but it keeps timing out . . .

+Quote Post
xjqian
post Feb 12 2005, 04:33 PM
Post #21

Member No.: 1,478

Search by Keywords: elog Filter by Member Name (optional): elog checked Match Exact Name

gave me error. However, elog search did return results (including: caselogic, etc) for me.

+Quote Post
Miami_Bob
post Feb 12 2005, 05:38 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 2,781

QUOTE(offroadgeek @ Feb 7 2005, 03:15 PM)
The searching and the highlighting worked fine before the upgrade, so I think it's probably just a bug in the new version.  I will report it to ipb to see if we can get a fix.

offroadgeek

Have noticed also that, if a search returns more that 1 page of hits, opening the additional pages in a new Opera page tab does not get the highlighting at all.

Minor but just so you are aware.

+Quote Post
gojira
post Mar 12 2005, 10:37 PM
Post #23

QUOTE(clofland @ Feb 9 2005, 08:55 AM)
Maybe this isn't new, but when I do a search and click on a thread that comes up in the search, 90% of the time I get this:

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /home/.bluebellblender/miamlh1/oesf.org/forums/sources/topics.php on line 816

Very annoying. I know the answer is out there, and it is trying to find me, but it keeps timing out . . .

See the workaround above.

+Quote Post
xjqian
post Apr 2 2005, 07:29 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 1,478

can you put a quick search input area, just as the one on the top right side in OE master page, in each forum (or page) that defauts to search in that forum? Do I make myself clear? unsure.gif

+Quote Post
radioz
post Jun 24 2005, 10:26 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 4,962

Is there any hope of fixing the search mechanism to implement 'AND' rather than 'OR'?

It really is a pain not being able to narrow searches down. As was mentioned, Google isn't a very easy approach.

radioz

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2014 - 07:13 AM