OESF | ELSI | pdaXrom | OpenZaurus | Zaurus Themes | Community Links | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Mer - A New Ubuntu-based Distro Derived From Maemo!
speculatrix
post May 8 2009, 12:23 PM
Post #1

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4,149

http://wiki.maemo.org/Mer

snippage from http://wiki.maemo.org/Mer/About

Mer is a new Linux operating system, built upon a thin base of Ubuntu Jaunty combined with the best open-source elements of Nokia's Maemo platform.

The goals of Mer include:

* Improving and developing parts of Maemo that are of interest to the Maemo community.
* Making it easier to port existing desktop applications by hildonizing and adjusting them to the tablet form factor.
* Encouraging third party experimentation and development.
* Supporting tablet hardware no longer receiving updated OS software by Nokia.
* Making Maemo a generic platform for all tablet devices, including non-Nokia ones.
* Focusing Maemo community efforts in platform-related areas
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
espi
post Jul 23 2009, 03:27 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,423

I'm seeing the updates today and I'd love to try this on my zaurus 3100!
Any word on Zaurus instructions would be appreciated I'm sure, even if it's months from now, we are out here and would like to try Mer!

+Quote Post
mars
post Jul 24 2009, 07:46 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,881

One idea would if we could take up a collection to donate the main mer developer with an actual zaurus to test on. He got a moses-smartq-5 and promptly set out to get mer running on it as well as a smartq-7. I would donate some funds if someone wanted to organize.

The folks on talk.maemo.org seem to think that mer is the future of the community-built maemo for the older nokia tablets once Nokia abandons them. As it stands now, the ui on mer is still a bit unstable on the N810 (one reason I am now trying fluxbox per Capn_Fish's instructions).

It was reported the end of May 2009 that Ubuntu MID would start to transition to mer, so it looks like mer will have some broad support. Mer is also currently being targeted for several devices including the openmoke freerunner.

What might be cool is if zubuntu were to be eventually built on top of mer. That way mer would provide the ubuntu layer as well as their ui to play with and zubuntu could add the zaurus customizations and a window manager and tweaks more suited to the zaurus.

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2014 - 06:11 AM