OESF Portal | OESF Forum | OESF Wiki | LinuxPDA | #planetgemini chat on matrix.org | #gemini-pda chat on Freenode | #zaurus and #alarmz chat on Freenode | ELSI (coming soon) | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Trouble with WiFI with one SSID, but multiple transmitters ? Android issue ?
Dixit
post Sep 30 2018, 05:48 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 824,751

Hello forum members,

The Gemini is not very strong in receiving WiFI signals, but it becomes particularly troublesome when it needs to capture and hold a signal with the same SSID name, but multiple transmitters. Examples are:

- Free networks in the city, such as Antwerp Free Wifi
- Hotel WiFi
- The WiFi hotspots offered by my provider and transmitted by the other clients throughout Belgium, all known as "Telenet WiFree".

The Gemini's behaviour is the same. It shows a strong signal, but refuses to connect. Or worse: it has a connection and suddenly entirely looses it.

I think it accidentally switches over to another transmitter, but with a weaker signal. It then looses the signal.

Is this an Android thingy ? Is this a Gemini thingy ? Can it be improved somewhere in the advanced settings ?
My wife has Android 8 and does not have this problem.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ifanafi
post Oct 3 2018, 07:26 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 817,726

Have you Googled "wifi boost app android"?

I see several WiFi boosting apps from Play Store, Android Authority and others designed to resolve that wobbly WiFi signal situation.

Cheers!

Ifanafi

QUOTE(Dixit @ Sep 30 2018, 09:48 AM) *
Hello forum members,

The Gemini is not very strong in receiving WiFI signals, but it becomes particularly troublesome when it needs to capture and hold a signal with the same SSID name, but multiple transmitters. Examples are:

- Free networks in the city, such as Antwerp Free Wifi
- Hotel WiFi
- The WiFi hotspots offered by my provider and transmitted by the other clients throughout Belgium, all known as "Telenet WiFree".

The Gemini's behaviour is the same. It shows a strong signal, but refuses to connect. Or worse: it has a connection and suddenly entirely looses it.

I think it accidentally switches over to another transmitter, but with a weaker signal. It then looses the signal.

Is this an Android thingy ? Is this a Gemini thingy ? Can it be improved somewhere in the advanced settings ?
My wife has Android 8 and does not have this problem.

+Quote Post
AP756
post Dec 2 2018, 09:59 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 823,258

Another two cents: I assume you got the full boosted (Wifi+GSM) model and you got a data plan, which you never switch off. If Wifi is weak your Gemini starts to search for GSM-data, before deciding to switch back to Wifi. This kills any transfer speed wink.gif. To alter this behavior open "Settings", open "Developer options" (if you can't find it open"About phone", tap on "Build number 7 times", go back one time and you should see the additional menu entry), scroll down to "Aggressive Wi-Fi to Mobile handover" and then to "Mobile data always active" and activate both. The third possibility is to alter Wi-Fi roam Scans. Please report back if it made your Gemini flying.

Hope that helps, bye for now Fred

+Quote Post
Radovan GarabĂ­k
post Mar 4 2019, 06:07 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 840,229

QUOTE(Dixit @ Sep 30 2018, 02:48 PM) *
The Gemini is not very strong in receiving WiFI signals, but it becomes particularly troublesome when it needs to capture and hold a signal with the same SSID name, but multiple transmitters.

Yes, it is an Android "problem". The issue is that you cannot select access point, at least using stock Android GUI. I am having the same problem with UPC Wi-Free, where there is a limit of 5 clients per AP, but anyway the whole network is completely borked, with long periods of outages, misconfigured routes etc., and selecting an appropriate (working) AP often helps - under Linux, using the bssid directive under wpa_supplicant.conf, but seems to be nearly impossible under Android (the API to configure specific BSSID has been even removed in Android 8.0: https://developer.android.com/reference/and...n.html#priority ).

+Quote Post
Dixit
post Mar 6 2019, 09:45 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 824,751

Thanks for the confirmation, Radovan.

Though I read your message as "Problem confirmed. No solution."

Indeed, Telenet Wifree is the sister net of UPC and the quality throughout is doubtful. Same here.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th December 2019 - 11:44 PM