OESF Portal | OESF Forum | OESF Wiki | LinuxPDA | #planetgemini chat on matrix.org | #gemini-pda chat on Freenode | #zaurus and #alarmz chat on Freenode | ELSI (coming soon) | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Charger Voltage 9V
Eldkatten
post Jun 1 2019, 08:16 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 823,876

Hello,

I've just bought a handful of new chargers (GOOBAY 45173), because with the charger I used only about 0.5 A at 5V was provided during charging, while the charger as such can output up to 2 A. Other devices use that range and charge with 1.3 - 1.6 A at 5 V.
I have a little gizmo connected between the charger and the cable, which shows me the voltage, the current and things like mAh and mWh provided so far.

When I connect the Gemini to a power bank, it draws about 1.4 A at 5 V.

What I see now, with the new charger, is that after I connect everything, the voltage starts at 5V (which is ok for USB), but after a few seconds jumps up to 9V and remains. The current is about 1.5 A.

I read the technical description of the charger now (why bother before using it? rolleyes.gif ), and it says that it supports Qualcomm Snapdragon charging process. So I guess with this particular charger the Gemini switches to the fast charging process.

I would appreciate if someone could answer the following questions:
- Is it really ok to provide 9V through USB structures? I mean, everything is originally designed for 5 V.
- Actually I don't want the Gemini to fast charge. I don't trust the process concerning battery life, and the Gemini and the charger get pretty hot while charging. Is there a way to tell the Gemini not to fast-charge, even if the charger supports it?

Kind regards
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2019 - 09:20 PM