OESF Portal | OESF Forum | OESF Wiki | LinuxPDA | #planetgemini chat on matrix.org | #gemini-pda chat on Freenode | #zaurus and #alarmz chat on Freenode | ELSI (coming soon) | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Considering Sailfish -- is there a comprehensive howto?
depscribe
post Jul 24 2018, 05:51 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 815,753

I haven't even fired up my Gemini for a few weeks now, finding the GPD Pocket a far preferable device for Linux and for docking to a desktop setup. But I hope to return to the Gemini as a phone/pda once things are a little farther along on the software side. It looks as if this means Sailfish.

(No disrespect -- indeed, praise and thanks -- to Adam B and Nikita and the others who have been working long and hard and well on Debian for Gemini.)

A couple of concerns, the first being how extensively Sailfish, as it exists and as it is envisioned, relies on bits of Googledroid. Specifically, whether it is possible to eliminate Android entirely from the device, or if Sailfish (as does Linux) required Android to be installed also. (The necessity of Android even for a Linux install would have been a dealbreaker for me and I would not have backed the project had this been made clear; alas, PC has not made much clear.)

Is there any working Gemini configuration that is Googledroid-free?

The second concern is whether there is a page anyplace that walks one through the switch to Sailfish in the way that Adam's git-hub page does with Debian? Lots of questions, particularly involving Wayland and applications, as well as of course a recipe for getting Sailfish installed and running on the Gemini.

Thanks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th December 2019 - 08:07 AM