OESF Portal | OESF Forum | OESF Wiki | LinuxPDA | #planetgemini chat on matrix.org | #gemini-pda chat on Freenode | #zaurus and #alarmz chat on Freenode | ELSI (coming soon) | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> First time Sailfish user... Questions
MikeC
post Jun 26 2018, 08:51 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 824,236

Greetings,

I just went through the process of booting Sailfish OS for the first time -- Selected locale, language, set up wifi, created jolla account, accepted terms. All seemed to go swimmingly. However, now I'm left with a rotating teal ring, and things do not seem to be progressing. Any ideas as to what is currently happening?

Thank you,
Mike
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Dietmar Schwertb...
post Jun 26 2018, 12:16 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 824,913

Do you see the ring when you re-boot or open the device? Try to swipe from the left or right edge the screen. I have the same problem.

+Quote Post
MikeC
post Jun 26 2018, 04:02 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 824,236

QUOTE(Dietmar Schwertberger @ Jun 26 2018, 01:16 PM) *
Do you see the ring when you re-boot or open the device? Try to swipe from the left or right edge the screen. I have the same problem.

If I swiped from the right, I got a lock screen button. Swiping from the left enabled the camera. The center always showed the rotating ring. Here's what I did that worked for me:

1) The Sailfish os is hidden in the debian linux.img, under /.stowaways You can boot debian and poke around in there to take a look a things.

2) On my linux machine (which I used to Flash the boot/system images), I mounted up the linux.img file in the firmware directory, and created a tar archive of sailfish os:

mount -t ext4 -o ro linux.img /mnt
cd /mnt/.stowaways
tar cjf /where/you/have/space/sailfishos.tar sailfishos
3) Then I rebooted the gemini into debian, went to /.stowaways, and nuked sailfishos. I then sftp'ed the sailfishos.tar from step 2, and extracted it. This resets sailfishos to it's initial state

4) Then I rebooted the gemini, this time into sailfish os, and this time didn't set a PIN. I went through the other initialization steps, logged into my jolla acount, and got the rotating ring again. However, when I rebooted back into sailfish os, it's working fine now.

I hope this helps.

I don't have a SIM installed yet because I'm waiting for Verizon Wireless to decide whether or not they're going to allow the gemini on their network. Until they do, I can't make calls on the gemini so I've gone back to my original phone.

+Quote Post
gemini_user_j
post Aug 9 2018, 06:43 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 827,849

QUOTE(MikeC @ Jun 26 2018, 04:02 PM) *
QUOTE(Dietmar Schwertberger @ Jun 26 2018, 01:16 PM) *

If I swiped from the right, I got a lock screen button. Swiping from the left enabled the camera. The center always showed the rotating ring. Here's what I did that worked for me:

1) The Sailfish os is hidden in the debian linux.img, under /.stowaways You can boot debian and poke around in there to take a look a things.

2) On my linux machine (which I used to Flash the boot/system images), I mounted up the linux.img file in the firmware directory, and created a tar archive of sailfish os:

mount -t ext4 -o ro linux.img /mnt
cd /mnt/.stowaways
tar cjf /where/you/have/space/sailfishos.tar sailfishos
3) Then I rebooted the gemini into debian, went to /.stowaways, and nuked sailfishos. I then sftp'ed the sailfishos.tar from step 2, and extracted it. This resets sailfishos to it's initial state

4) Then I rebooted the gemini, this time into sailfish os, and this time didn't set a PIN. I went through the other initialization steps, logged into my jolla acount, and got the rotating ring again. However, when I rebooted back into sailfish os, it's working fine now.

I hope this helps.

I don't have a SIM installed yet because I'm waiting for Verizon Wireless to decide whether or not they're going to allow the gemini on their network. Until they do, I can't make calls on the gemini so I've gone back to my original phone.

Hi
I also had the problem with the spinning loading screen after going through tutorial, I manage to solve it by trial and error:

I found a reported case of SFOS X doing the same as the community edition: https://together.jolla.com/question/169017/...after-tutorial/

But I couldn't really use that for anything, so I just redownloaded the linux image and the sailfish boot and tried different settings when activating the OS, each time it failed I just downloaded a fresh linuximage and sailfish boot to the device before trying again.

the time it worked, I had removed both sim card and memory card from my X27 device,
I did not select a pin code
I kept finish time zone
I connected to local wifi
I skipped the jolla account setup

instead of going through the tutorial I skipped it (press each corner of the screen in a clockwise motion - start with whatever sailfish thinks is top left)

for a few minutes I was stuck with the loader like before, but when I dragged sideways I got the main screen.

still got error messages when connecting to a new jolla account, but eventually it got through and everything works now.

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th November 2019 - 11:14 AM