OESF Portal | OESF Forum | OESF Wiki | LinuxPDA | #planetgemini chat on matrix.org | #gemini-pda chat on Freenode | #zaurus and #alarmz chat on Freenode | ELSI (coming soon) | Ibiblio


Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Personal Photo
Personal Statement
mgfm99 doesn't have a personal statement currently.
Personal Info
Age Unknown
Gender Not Set
Location Unknown
Birthday Unknown
No Information
Joined: 2-March 18
Profile Views: 1,221*
Last Seen: 19th May 2020 - 03:37 PM
Local Time: Jun 3 2020, 06:35 AM
12 posts (0 per day)
Contact Information
AIM No Information
Yahoo No Information
ICQ No Information
MSN No Information
Contact Private
* Profile views updated each hour



My Content
28 May 2019
I didn't order one of the video out cables when first purchasing my Gemini, but bought a USB-C to HDMI Displaylink adapter. This worked perfectly with the Gemini when it was on Android 7.1.1 (though I didn't use it much). I've now upgraded to 8.1, and notice that it no longer works.

The two versions of Displaylink app install and run ok - they recognize the adapter being plugged in, but nothing is output to the TV. By default, the Displaylink outputs a 1920x1080 image. The adapter works fine with other Android devices, e.g. my phone running Android Pie.

Does anyone else have experience with this?
3 Mar 2019
I have the new Sailfish X edition installed - which works quite slickly, though I miss both Aliendalvik and editing functions in Sailfish Office (which seem to be available in the underlying Calligra port but are just not available in the UI).

One irritation I have which I suspect is just my own stupidity is that I cannot select a UK layout hardware keyboard. Selecting EN on the language option in Settings assumes a US keyboard - ';' is where '@' is on the keyboard and '@' is where '"' is on the keyboard which matches a US layout.

When one checks the definition files under /usr/share/X11 these list en_GB as well as en_US with the different codings. But the normals ways of setting LANG in locale don't work with this version of Sailfish.

Does anyone happen to know how to make the device use a UK keyboard?

Many thanks.
1 Jul 2018
I've been playing around with the most recent Community Build of Sailfish for the Gemini and thought I'd post a guide to using a USB DAC with the Gemini in Sailfish - the instructions for this I gleaned from a Google search of the IRC archives for sailfish OS adaptations.

The original Jolla 1 did not have USB OTG, so the UI interface was never developed for using peripherals; but with the community versions there have now been many devices which work with Sailfish and have USB OTG.

The Gemini recognizes USB audio DACs on insertion (or at least it does with an Audioquest Dragon Fly), but it won't play any music from any app to it.

To do that you need to do three things:

1. You need to block udev recognising the internal sound system (this won't affect the use of the internal speaker; but if you don't do this, running a udev detect with the new device attached will lead to a reboot):
Add a new file to /etc/udev/rules.d which blacklists the internal sound system before any pulseaudio rules are run: e.g.
89-pulseaudio-usb.rules with the content
ATTRS{id}=="mtsndcard", ENV{PULSE_IGNORE}="1"

2. You need to get pulseaudio to connect with the alsa definitions for usb audio devices; to do this, you only need to
rename usbaudio.conf.disabled to usbaudio.conf in /etc/pulse/xpolicy.conf.d;

3. Last, you need pulseaudio to register that the usb DAC is available in the system. As far as I can see, this needs to be done manually at the moment:
After restarting your Gemini in Sailfish, you need to open thumbterm and run (as user, not as root) 'pactrl load-module module-udev-detect'
On IRC it was suggested simply adding the load-module line to default.pa in /etc/pulse - but the module load is already there, and doesn't seem to react to external devices even after udev rules have been modified, so I found I needed to run this command manually. Didn't matter whether the DAC was already connected or not.

4. You can check this has worked by running as user pacmd list-sinks - there should now be an additional one at the end (i.e. a fifth device) with the details of your DAC.

5. At this stage, media players will output through your USB Audio device - but sound will be capped to 48Hz sample rate; to allow sample rates up to the highest your DAC will allow, edit daemon.conf in /etc/pulse to enable the entry alternate-sample-rate, by default this is set as 48000. For the Audioquest, you should set it to 96000.

6. You might find it useful to install alsa-utils and usbutils from https://build.merproject.org to check that things are being recognized by the kernel when first attached, and that alsa knows this is a soundcard.

7. Must be said that the sound is still somewhat glitchy - as it can be also in Android. However the tweaks in USBAudio Pro in Android enable one to get a perfect and excellent sound out of the Gemini; that uses its own driver, and unfortunately there is no equivalent in Sailfish, and the alsa standard driver is not of the same quality.
Last Visitors

4 Mar 2019 - 11:11

23 Dec 2018 - 11:05

28 Apr 2018 - 6:44

Other users have left no comments for mgfm99.

There are no friends to display.
RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2020 - 10:35 PM