Author Topic: V22 is out.  (Read 18424 times)

klampfenfreak

• View Profile
V22 is out.
« Reply #75 on: June 25, 2020, 07:02:12 am »
still got the random reboots with new firmware v22 and CODI V1.1.1.14  when CODI is switched on.. :/

Chris Binner

• View Profile
V22 is out.
« Reply #76 on: June 25, 2020, 10:08:35 am »
Similarly I've still got the random reboots with new firmware v22 and CODI V1.1.1.14 when CODI is switched on.
The reboots are mostly when opening the phone, closing the phone, plugging in or removing the cable for charging using the opposite side from silver button.

previously it would reboot during phone or zoom calls with or without video, on all the cases listed above and also without any interaction.

It appears slightly more stable, but not reliable yet.

So I'm going to run it with Cover Display off and Switch OFF cover display on Power down also off.

My battery percentage always shows -1% no matter the charge level. I have let the phone fuly charge, fully discharge (well until auto power off) and run for a few hours.
At all points it still shows -1% battery.
Regards
Chris

Tom D

• View Profile
V22 is out.
« Reply #77 on: June 25, 2020, 11:43:35 am »
Quote from: Chris Binner
Similarly I've still got the random reboots with new firmware v22 and CODI V1.1.1.14 when CODI is switched on.
The reboots are mostly when opening the phone, closing the phone, plugging in or removing the cable for charging using the opposite side from silver button.

previously it would reboot during phone or zoom calls with or without video, on all the cases listed above and also without any interaction.

It appears slightly more stable, but not reliable yet.

So I'm going to run it with Cover Display off and Switch OFF cover display on Power down also off.

My battery percentage always shows -1% no matter the charge level. I have let the phone fuly charge, fully discharge (well until auto power off) and run for a few hours.
At all points it still shows -1% battery.
Regards
Chris

Yes, I've turned off CODI and things are much more stable. I'm not using it as a phone, so CODI doesn't add much anyway. That's one of the reasons I went and backed the slider - it looks like it may easier to use it as a phone.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 11:44:21 am by Tom D »

Zarhan

• View Profile
V22 is out.
« Reply #78 on: June 26, 2020, 03:04:35 am »
I just drove 200 km over 2 hours, listening to stream all the way. Battery drain about 9%, and no crash. V19 crashed over this period. No problems with v22, so definitely an improvement!

Pikku-iikka

• View Profile
V22 is out.
« Reply #79 on: June 27, 2020, 04:13:53 am »
Quote from: vldmr
Quote from: TomJ
Quote from: vldmr
Autorotate does not work for me. Not on main screen. On codi it worked on v19.
It's working for me.  Perhaps you need to re-enable it?  Remember, there are 2 places it needs to be enabled, Android settings and the Planet menu bar settings.
That was it, thank you!
I sure would not find it myself -- not very obvious that the settings of planet app bar affect other applications.
Huh', thank you very much! I had been there once, but thought that setting would only affect the Planet Bar app itself...

Auto rotation seems to be clever, too. I have some apps, that don't behave well in landscape mode. When auto rotation is on, those appear in portrait mode automagically - fine. I even feel that the Cosmo is easy and steady to handle in portrait mode when needed.
Pikku-iikka (alias Little Ike - 194 cm / 130 kg)
Planet Cosmo Communicator
Samsung Note 8, Jolla Phone (Sailfish), Nokia N9 (Meego)
Raspberry Pi 4B / RetroPie setup emulating Amiga.

Apextech

• View Profile
V22 is out.
« Reply #80 on: June 28, 2020, 03:17:07 pm »
I installed it successfully a couple days ago. Failed the CODI update the first time, but upon retrying it installed successfully. Battery life is exceptionally improved. I've been able to leave the external screen on and it has lasted the whole day. Responsiveness of the external screen is better, but still not where I'd like to see it. I'll be using it for my daily driver over the next couple days. Wish Me Luck!

vldmr

• View Profile
V22 is out.
« Reply #81 on: June 28, 2020, 11:13:50 pm »
Quote from: Pikku-iikka
I even feel that the Cosmo is easy and steady to handle in portrait mode when needed.

I actually find the same: here is an example browsing ebay site in firefox holding the device vertically in left hand while flipping pages by pressing space bar with the thumb of right hand
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

Vistaus

• View Profile
V22 is out.
« Reply #82 on: June 29, 2020, 02:08:45 pm »
Apparently, V22 is still screwed up. I had to reboot for the first time since installing V22, but mobile data isn't working anymore, the top bar isn't working anymore, the home and recent apps buttons aren't working anymore (both the soft and keyboard buttons)... It also says that some options are "not available for this user".
Should've stayed with V20 after all. The sudden reboots were annoying, but at least everything was working.

My exceptionally high trust in Planet has diminished now. No more defending Planet as of now, until they get their act together.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 02:40:45 pm by Vistaus »

Zarhan

• View Profile
V22 is out.
« Reply #83 on: June 29, 2020, 03:02:51 pm »
That's very strange. I've had one hard reboot happen to me since V22. Guess better be careful and make those backups often.

lokomoko

• View Profile
V22 is out.
« Reply #84 on: June 29, 2020, 05:04:16 pm »
With V22 I experience spurious reboots every 3 or 4 hours. So when I booted a rooted Android and leave the device unattended, Cosmo might have booted into the non-rooted Android in the meantime, which can be quite confusing. I did not observe this behaviour in earlier version.

cam1965

• View Profile
    • http://
V22 is out.
« Reply #85 on: June 29, 2020, 05:38:41 pm »
Quote from: lokomoko
With V22 I experience spurious reboots every 3 or 4 hours. So when I booted a rooted Android and leave the device unattended, Cosmo might have booted into the non-rooted Android in the meantime, which can be quite confusing. I did not observe this behaviour in earlier version.

Mine,  up to now is OK. I have updated from  V19 to V22. No password defined . Everything is fine.
Thanks God !

lokomoko

• View Profile
V22 is out.
« Reply #86 on: June 30, 2020, 04:53:25 am »
Quote from: cam1965
Mine,  up to now is OK. I have updated from  V19 to V22. No password defined . Everything is fine.

I came to V22 the "official" way ;-) OTA V20 -> manual upgrade to V21 -> OTA V22. I'm not decided whether this can cause the reboots.

Apextech

• View Profile
V22 is out.
« Reply #87 on: June 30, 2020, 06:09:37 am »
I have used my Cosmo paired with a Fossil Gen 5 watch, external screen on, and have had no issues over the past couple days. No reboots or crashes so far. I would like to point out that I immediately disable all the Planet Computer apps that are pre-installed, except for the CODI app itself. I also disabled the app bar.
I do not play games on my Cosmo. Used to streaming audio in the car during the day, emails, txt msgs, light internet surfing and I read Google News app about 3 or 4 times through the day. I'm seeing about %50 battery drain from 5:30am to 9pm.
I am actually very pleased with the performance and battery improvements. I could not get through a whole day if I left the external screen on before v22.

Chris Binner

• View Profile
V22 is out.
« Reply #88 on: June 30, 2020, 08:12:38 am »
Hi folks,
I contacted Planet via hello@planetcom.co.uk on the off chance there were responding  
They replied the next day which was great.

They want to investigate if my issue is not v22 update related but is physical contact related.
This fits some circumstances but not all, but I'm a patient person and ever the optomist I'll go with it.
So due to their repair backlog I've to wait to ship it to them in 3 weeks so they can look at it under warranty.

So i'm backing it up and parking it on a shelf until then, I'll miss the keyboard and go back to my old Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

I might push my luck and ask if they can configure it with whatever the state of play is on the linux side if I ship it with a 256GB MicroSD card.

Or ask if I can pay for a suitably sized one to be implemented from their end since I think the SD card they shipped to Beta testers is still v19?

What is the largest SD card anyone is prepared to trust/recommend in the Cosmo?

Cheers
Chris

ehem

• View Profile
V22 is out.
« Reply #89 on: June 30, 2020, 10:29:26 pm »
Quote from: Chris Binner
I might push my luck and ask if they can configure it with whatever the state of play is on the linux side if I ship it with a 256GB MicroSD card.

Or ask if I can pay for a suitably sized one to be implemented from their end since I think the SD card they shipped to Beta testers is still v19?

What is the largest SD card anyone is prepared to trust/recommend in the Cosmo?
Interesting issue that...  There is an issue V19 and V22 include vfat and ext4 support, but not exfat or udf.  As such the choice of filesystem on SD card is tricky.  Though I do note SD cards tend to have very large erase block sizes which isn't really suitable for anything besides pictures or video.  You would need to erase any SD card larger than 64GB (SD card association specifies exfat as the default, despite UDF being far superior).

I imagine kernels with exfat and/or udf will be showing up soon, but in the meantime larger than 64GB is a bit troublesome.  Though SD card performance is often questionable.