OESF | ELSI | pdaXrom | OpenZaurus | Zaurus Themes | Community Links | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Aaa Battery Pack Adapter Fab, Ideas on how to do it?
adf
post Nov 11 2005, 02:58 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,572

reading about the lifespan of Lithium Ion batteries has brought me to the conclusion that a new battery pack for the 6k should be designed.

Here are my ideas, though obviously I'm interested in more ideas, and getting this actually done.
Specs:
It must clip into the existing battery compartment

It should protrude as little as possible, and be to some extent rounded and "snag free"

It must use readily available off the shelf batteries of non-proprietary design. (like AAA)

It should be readily fabricatable... that is to say that someone of little artistic skill (say...me, for example) could take the design into some easy-to-find shop--like an autoglass/plexi place, or tank/welding/sheetmetal or electronics shop and get the basic components fabricated and possibly assembled with a minimum of trauma and expense.

My beginnings of an idea is to make an open faced metal box that has studs to match the bottom of the bl09, and either holes for the battery locks or tabs that run to the sled mount screw holes.
The box would take 4? 5? 6? aaa and the requisite terminals and voltage regulation. The open side would be mounted inward inside the battery well.

I think it would stick out the back about as about much as the thickness of another battery...if the angles of the box were oblique this would be useable.

My reason for using meatal is simply that sheetmetal is easy to cut and bend..and can readily be given a black matte finish to match the z.

even without the issue of li-Ion life expectancy, being able to snap in off-the-shelf batteries, without resorting to cabling, is appealing.

ideas? suggestions?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
guylhem
post Dec 2 2005, 03:39 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,365

Been there; done that for many of my devices. Currently fixing my laptop 2nd dead battery with cells twice as big purchased on ebay. The 1st battery works 3 times longer thanks to these cells. Moreover once you've opened the box replacing afterwards them is a 5 minutes soldering operation.

Ofcourse, you could blow your head off doing that. Technical expertise is needed :-)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd September 2014 - 12:20 PM