OESF | ELSI | pdaXrom | OpenZaurus | Zaurus Themes | Community Links | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 8 Gb Seagate Cf Drive, Slow -- Anyway to Improve Access?
mars
post Sep 25 2006, 02:37 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,881

I picked-up a Seagate 8GB CF drive. When placed in the CF slot on my 3100, under Cacko, playing media files (audio and video) is choppy -- like the media momentarily pauses while the CF drive spins back up?

The internal Hitachi microdrive doesn't have this problem.

Anyway, are there some settings for improving microdrive performance in the CF slot?

BTW, I tried the Seagate drive in my digital camera, and it is too slow in raw mode as to be unuseable. Well useable, if you don't care about getting a second shot.

Thanks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Da_Blitz
post Oct 17 2006, 10:54 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,806

this is where it gets a bit funny, the values for many settings in hdparm are set by the manufacturer, that is there is no standard so -B64 will do diffrent things on diffrent drives (thats why some people hate the ATA spec as its not specific enough)

experimintation is the key here but enabling the buffer (mainly for writes) should give you a nice performance boost, on a PC reaad caching dosent yield a performance boost whovere it would be intresting to contrast this with a slow bus with slow accsess (ie the zaurus)

the default settings arent set in stone ethier but are what segate or the hard drive manufacturer recomends, many PC hard drives ship in "quiet" mode and tend to get crappy benchmarks unless you turn off acustic managment (ie APM)

another good one to try is the settings for spin up and down time, try to minimise ram usage and prefetch where possible. when this comes to MP3's or moives just increse your buffer cache. you might also want to look into laptop mode if running on a 2.6 kernel as this should reduce the amount of time the microdrive is on and can easily get you 20mins of battery on regular mp3 playback
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th July 2014 - 09:29 AM