Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Unable To Detect Files On Memory Cards
jeevandras
post Sep 28 2006, 08:00 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,417

Hi,
I am still pretty new with my zaurus and linux trying to figure a lot out.

I m running OZ 3.5.4.1 Kernel 2.6.16 and Opie 1.2.1 on a C860.

I find that when I transfer a file from my XP through a card reader to my CF or SD card and then plug the card onto my Z, I don't see these files.

However, when I reboot Z, the files finally appear and whatever changes i have made on my cards are shown on my File Manager.

Does anybody know why this is happening? Do I need to reboot everytime I copy files over. I assume this has something to do with mounting the device. Is there someting I should do 1st before i plug and unplug my card.

I appreciate any advice you can give. Thanks!

Jeev
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
lardman
post Oct 1 2006, 07:45 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 464

for example /media/cf by calling mount /dev/hda /media/cf

You should partition the card really and then mount:

mount /dev/hda1 /media/cf

Though if that's the way Windows formats it, then so be it.

I guess I figure what I was doing wrong. What you said was true. What I was doing is turning my zaurus off i.e. suspending it and then unplugging the cards. When I remove a card at such a manner, the OS is not aware of what happened. So when I turn Z on again, it still assumes the card is plugged in and does not update its file system. That explains why any changes I made to my card's content is not shown when i replug it in. However, when I reboot, the OS goes and remount the card, hence updating the filesystem as a result.

You may also lose data as writes to the card can be cached (depending on the mount options, i.e. sync) and if you suspend while data is still cached and hasn't been written, it won't be.

Anyway, next task... trying to get a video player running on my Z. At the moment my Z is still an expensive paper weight! Any idea on how to get one installed on OZ with a user interface that would work on Opie?

Opie mediaplayer 2 is an option, though I think mplayer covers a better range of file-types. Not sure about the GUI for mplayer though.

Si
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2014 - 10:14 PM