Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Can One Get Paid To Develop F/oss?
Armagon
post Apr 19 2007, 09:05 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,348

Greetings.

I am looking for a new programming job (having programmed video games in C++ for three years), and, it occured to me that I might be able to work on free/open-source software and get paid to do it. [My wife is supportive of the idea, too!]

I just don't even know where to begin, and figured that if ever there was an on-topic post for an off-topic forum, this is it wink.gif

I expect that there are not many paying F/OSS jobs, but there must be some. (Right?) It seems likely that one could work from home, provided they had a decent computer and a broadband connection. I've done some google searches (and will do some more) but haven't really found good information yet.

Unfortunately (no, please don't look at me like that!) I have not contributed anything to the F/OSS movement, and am unfamiliar with software development on linux. I know that this is a large and poorly specified question, but, does anyone have any insights on how to best (and quickly) develop the skills I need to be a F/OSS contributor (even if there is no job to be found)?

As you can see, I don't even really know which questions to ask, or if it is at all reasonable to look for gainful employment in this sector.

I appreciate any insights.
Armagon
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th November 2014 - 05:26 AM