IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> The Sharp Dev board is not really back
tamarian
post Jun 21 2004, 05:30 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,617

I was surprised to see the dev board is now back online.

From what I've read there, it only to support "enterprise" users, but us lowly individuals are still welcome smile.gif

This "enterprise" mentality is so backward, I just can't understand how they could miss the open source concepts, that it is individulas, who have an "itch" who make things happen, and develop software to meet their needs.

Sharp is using GNU and Linux. GNU and Linux were not not developed for the "enterprise", but because individuals started developing software for their own needs, Linux became very useful, and profitable, for the "enterprise".

Sharp is trying to do this in a backwards fashion. They want to start selling only to "enterprise", for obvious "volume" considerations. But they clearly missed the point, that it never worked that way for open source communities. Why should it work now?

They're basically digging their own graves. "Enterprise" customers will not use a propriteary platform made of open source components, they can just use existing proprietary formats such WinCE or others. There's no point in using Zaurus for the "enterprise", unless the Zaurus platform becames very popular on it's own first. And this cannot happen without a thriving community.

Anyway, this is just my rant, and I'm glad the ZUG forum is picking up Sharp's slack and making a place for the Zaurus community.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th October 2014 - 03:04 PM