OESF Portal | OESF Forum | OESF Wiki | LinuxPDA | #planetgemini chat on matrix.org | #gemini-pda chat on Freenode | #zaurus and #alarmz chat on Freenode | ELSI (coming soon) | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Handy tip, Make better use of your screen real estate
smapmap
post Sep 11 2018, 09:02 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 816,147

If you go into developer mode and change the dpi to 600 or above a few cool things happen

1) Buttons on the right of the screen move to th bottom. Better experience hitting home and back button as its over the Gemini's centre of gravity
1) Apps like Gmail go into tablet mode. You get a reading pane instead of just a long list of emails.

Just make your font size bih enough to read!! smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gymbo
post Sep 11 2018, 12:03 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 816,769

QUOTE(smapmap @ Sep 11 2018, 07:02 PM) *
If you go into developer mode and change the dpi to 600 or above a few cool things happen

1) Buttons on the right of the screen move to th bottom. Better experience hitting home and back button as its over the Gemini's centre of gravity
1) Apps like Gmail go into tablet mode. You get a reading pane instead of just a long list of emails.

Just make your font sixe bit enough toread

Thanks for the tip, could be useful, but don't think I will sett it that high though (have it set at 530 at the moment and that is small enough I think).

But setting it to 600 and over made a strange thing happen too: It for instance REPORTS as 552 in the settings when setting it at 600...??? Might be something with my setup, but strange nevertheless...

+Quote Post
smapmap
post Sep 12 2018, 12:06 AM
Post #3

QUOTE(gymbo @ Sep 11 2018, 09:03 PM) *
QUOTE(smapmap @ Sep 11 2018, 07:02 PM) *

Just make your font sixe bit enough toread

Thanks for the tip, could be useful, but don't think I will sett it that high though (have it set at 530 at the moment and that is small enough I think).

But setting it to 600 and over made a strange thing happen too: It for instance REPORTS as 552 in the settings when setting it at 600...??? Might be something with my setup, but strange nevertheless...

Mine appears as 594 which is strange! Haven't had any issues so far thankfully!

+Quote Post
Tom D
post Sep 13 2018, 06:05 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 815,874

That really does make the Gemini useable under Android. Before changing this (I chose 600 and medium fonts), pictures were always larger than the screen height. It made scrolling through FB, Feedspot, Reddit or any graphically heavy site very uncomfortable. Now pictures size appropriately and many apps change to tablet mode, giving an improved interface. I also like the controls (Home. Back and Running Apps) at the bottom of the screen. All in all, it is a vastly improved device now. Thanks!

+Quote Post
greguu
post Sep 14 2018, 12:37 AM
Post #5

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 8,535

While improving things, there are also several apps that do cause issues with this setting being enabled.Google Hangouts was one of them, causing issues with displaying video and more.
Gmail did actually work pretty well, allowing a side pane to be displayed.
Apart from that, you will find that the left bottom "menu arrow button" does not respond anymore if you change it to 600dpi.

+Quote Post
Jos
post Sep 15 2018, 06:29 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 823,586

QUOTE(greguu @ Sep 14 2018, 10:37 AM) *
Apart from that, you will find that the left bottom "menu arrow button" does not respond anymore if you change it to 600dpi.

So is there a workarround for the arrow button? I sure need that button or any other way to see all my apps. But i do like the 600dpi screen. Many of my frequent used apps perform way better.
Btw normaly i swipe up, but thats not working aswell.

+Quote Post
Dixit
post Sep 15 2018, 09:38 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 824,751

I am a former Psioneer and I purchased the Gemini, because it is as close to a 5mx as anything will ever come.
So now I am an Android user (it came with the Gemini). I am sure there are more like me.

Could you give a step by step description to use noobs how this switch is to be done ?
Does that need a rooted Android ?

+Quote Post
DJO
post Sep 15 2018, 11:44 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 818,744

QUOTE(Jos @ Sep 15 2018, 03:29 PM) *
So is there a workaround for the arrow button?

Switch to portrait.

+Quote Post
DJO
post Sep 15 2018, 11:51 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 818,744

QUOTE(Dixit @ Sep 15 2018, 06:38 PM) *
Could you give a step by step description to use noobs how this switch is to be done ?
Does that need a rooted Android ?

Rooting is not necessary.

First you need to enable "Developer Mode" - Open settings and scroll down to "About Phone", open that and scroll down to "Build Number" and tap (I think) 7 times.

Now you have a new option in settings "Developer Options", open that and scroll down to "Smallest Width" and adjust as you will.

You may also want to open the "Display" option and fiddle with "Font Size" & "Display Size" - beware changing these can alter the Smallest Width setting, also that setting seems to pick a value near to the one you set rather than the actual value you entered.

+Quote Post
Dixit
post Sep 15 2018, 11:17 PM
Post #10

Thanks for the instructions ! That was surprisingly simple.
Indeed, funny to see how some Apps suddenly size adequately.

Forgot to note the standard value. Was it 360 ?

+Quote Post
smapmap
post Sep 16 2018, 11:55 PM
Post #11

So is there a workarround for the arrow button? I sure need that button or any other way to see all my apps. But i do like the 600dpi screen. Many of my frequent used apps perform way better.

My left arrow works fine on mine?

+Quote Post
Dixit
post Sep 17 2018, 11:50 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(smapmap @ Sep 17 2018, 09:55 AM) *

Mine as well. That's strange. Chubby fingers ? 😃

It remains surprising to see how the (Google) apps entirely change their appearance.
Try Google Maps, for example.
It does have inconveniences. With Google Maps I suddenly loose the 'bicycle' symbol as to select a route for bikes.

+Quote Post
smapmap
post Sep 18 2018, 05:45 AM
Post #13

QUOTE(Dixit @ Sep 18 2018, 08:50 AM) *
QUOTE(smapmap @ Sep 17 2018, 09:55 AM) *

Mine as well. That's strange. Chubby fingers ? 😃

It remains surprising to see how the (Google) apps entirely change their appearance.
Try Google Maps, for example.
It does have inconveniences. With Google Maps I suddenly loose the 'bicycle' symbol as to select a route for bikes.

yeah me too - no sign of bike route here either. I've been using my Gemini in this configuration for a while now. I reckon of Planet could sort out some of these quibbles this might be the best set up for the Gemini. The fact the home and back buttons are at the bottom of the screen makes interacting with it much more satisfying as you don't get screen wobble. Wonder when the next firmware is out?

+Quote Post
gidds
post Sep 20 2018, 08:47 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 816,386

Doesn't setting the DPI so high make everything hard to see?

+Quote Post
a1astair
post Sep 22 2018, 01:08 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 815,778

QUOTE(Jos @ Sep 16 2018, 12:29 AM) *

I have installed Google Now Launcher and you get a dedicated button on your desktop to open the apps drawer.

This appears to be better suited to the Gemini than the standard launcher.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2019 - 10:49 PM